Can Gophs recruiting stay in top 40? Iowa moving past Gophers...Indiana next?

swingman

Reaction score
Latest 247 composite has Gopher 2019 class at #39, now just behind Iowa...Oklahoma State at 40 and Indiana at 41, both with some spots to fill...Indiana has a nice class, also got a QB, former 4star Indiana kid, to transfer home from Utah...Gophs could end up 10th in Big...if Williams decommits, National ranking would fall a few more spots...Big Ten West Champs NW at 47, better than 58, 50, 52, 55 that they finished prior years.

Latest 247 composite has Gopher 2019 class at #39, now just behind Iowa...Oklahoma State at 40 and Indiana at 41, both with some spots to fill...Indiana has a nice class, also got a QB, former 4star Indiana kid, to transfer home from Utah...Gophs could end up 10th in Big...if Williams decommits, National ranking would fall a few more spots...Big Ten West Champs NW at 47, better than 58, 50, 52, 55 that they finished prior years.

We got a nice grad transfer, and a transfer with two years to play. 2019 is the year the Gophers are going to make some noise.

Yes they can. In fact, if they don’t then JohnnyBoy will stay away for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, who cares? The difference between 28 and 43 is negligible at best. Are we getting more promising players than we were 3, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20 years ago? Do we have a coach and a staff that we have confidence in? That's all that matters, not what some geek decides what the difference is between a high 3 star and mid 3 star.

Honestly, who cares? The difference between 28 and 43 is negligible at best. Are we getting more promising players than we were 3, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20 years ago? Do we have a coach and a staff that we have confidence in? That's all that matters, not what some geek decides what the difference is between a high 3 star and mid 3 star.

:clap:

Right on!

Higher would be nice, but like building the facilities was going to instantly make us Superman...neither would a couple #25 to 35 rated classes versus #40 to 50 classes make us champs either.

I'm fine with our recruiting, except Mark Coyle promised us so much more than 40 something...which has got to be one of the dumbest spoken reasons to announce at a press conference for hiring someone ever. And then we embellish our ranking as something it isn't because the admin said it was important. Just trust your own evaluations and recruit the guys that fit your culture. They may not rate as high with 247 etc because they are looking for different things to evaluate. Who really cares....if it wasn't validated by admin as being important? It's not. How many games do we win...that's why the $3.5 million...not if we have a top 25 class.

Anything under about 18-20 to about 60 is the same.

I hear the quality of the guys we got is dropping every time someone passes us

I'm more impressed or surprised that the #10 recruiting class in the Big Ten could be in the lower 40s nationally!

Anything under about 18-20 to about 60 is the same.

The 60th ranked team right now is SMU. Their top rated recruit would be the 16th highest rated recruit for Arkansas (20th ranked team). There's a huge difference between the two.

Hasn't happened yet, but how can PJ and our brand new facilities possibly get outrecruited (on paper) by Purdue AND Indiana?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Hasn't happened yet, but how can PJ and our brand new facilities possibly get outrecruited (on paper) by Purdue AND Indiana?

Is recruiting "positions of need" a factor?

What would our rankings be if the 2* long snapper would have been a PWO? Replace him with a high 3* or even a 4*.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

What would our rankings be if the 2* long snapper would have been a PWO? Replace him with a high 3* or even a 4*.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

If you remove the LS and K the average rating per player is higher than Iowa's and close to Purdue's I believe.

Is recruiting "positions of need" a factor?
Lots of things are factors.

The one that really puzzles me is Indiana. I get that Brohm is considered a hot shot coach, but Indiana has a no name coach, not known as a football school, even less recent success than us, yet they are hanging right with us in recruiting????

The one that really puzzles me is Indiana. I get that Brohm is considered a hot shot coach, but Indiana has a no name coach, not known as a football school, even less recent success than us, yet they are hanging right with us in recruiting????

Tough nut to chew....Closer to the deep south & Ohio?... I think they got a highly ranked in state QB that helps their numbers?, weather?, decent academic school ??

Dang, one winning season since 1994. I honestly didn't realize that they have been THAT bad.

Two points to consider on this #39 ranking business.
1. PJ's highest priority is not a high ranking. A better team is the objective. Concentrating on Defense and esp. D-line severely limited the average ranking but was required for the team. Similar to signing LS and K with lower rankings just because the team will need them.
2. The ranking system is unstable and seems to result in a decline in Gopher rating just after early signing day. Happened last yr and this year. If you think ratings are stable and rational, look at those for Rashod Cheney. His National Rank went down 100 positions on Jan 18.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Rashad-Cheney-at-Cedar-Grove-213324/RecruitRankHistory/

Did he suddenly lose the ability to play at a 4 star level? There was some speculation that Tyler Nubin's rating might increase to 4 star level but no discussion about Cheney. Seems arbitrary and capricious and just plain wrong.

For me, concentrate on how the new recruits fit and can contribute to the success we all desire. It would be nice if recruiting ranking improves but it will be the long term that is important and only if actual performance follows the trend.

Two points to consider on this #39 ranking business.
1. PJ's highest priority is not a high ranking. A better team is the objective. Concentrating on Defense and esp. D-line severely limited the average ranking but was required for the team. Similar to signing LS and K with lower rankings just because the team will need them.
2. The ranking system is unstable and seems to result in a decline in Gopher rating just after early signing day. Happened last yr and this year. If you think ratings are stable and rational, look at those for Rashod Cheney. His National Rank went down 100 positions on Jan 18.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Rashad-Cheney-at-Cedar-Grove-213324/RecruitRankHistory/

Did he suddenly lose the ability to play at a 4 star level? There was some speculation that Tyler Nubin's rating might increase to 4 star level but no discussion about Cheney. Seems arbitrary and capricious and just plain wrong.

For me, concentrate on how the new recruits fit and can contribute to the success we all desire. It would be nice if recruiting ranking improves but it will be the long term that is important and only if actual performance follows the trend.

Well said. As long as our recruiting seems to be in line with what others in the West are doing that is all that really matters. If we are getting players that other Power 5 schools are targeting and aren't having to reach on guys then that is really all we can ask for. It is going to be next to impossible for us to recruit at the level of the top schools due in large part to geography.

Well said. As long as our recruiting seems to be in line with what others in the West are doing that is all that really matters. If we are getting players that other Power 5 schools are targeting and aren't having to reach on guys then that is really all we can ask for. It is going to be next to impossible for us to recruit at the level of the top schools due in large part to geography.

Huh...you make it sound like a new recruiting phenomenon for Gophs.

I love the ignorance displayed every time a recruiting thread pops up here - almost as much as I love Johnnyboy18 now twice welching on our bet like the coward that he is.

I love the ignorance displayed every time a recruiting thread pops up here - almost as much as I love Johnnyboy18 now twice welching on our bet like the coward that he is.

Such mighty words for a little man.

Because brand new facilities do not help recruiting a whole lot. And you shouldn't just take Coyle's word for it that Fleck will bring in top 25 classes. I expected Fleck to be somewhere between Brewster and Kill as far as recruiting, he's been closer to Brewster, so I'm happy with it.

This reeks of desperation after the way the 2018 season ended. Someone is really looking for a life raft as their anti-PJ boat takes on water. Too bad you're on the Titanic, while the true Gophers fans are on a Viking cruise ship sailing into the 2019 season.

Top Bottom