Reusse: Simply put, it's make-or-break time for Gophers coach Richard Pitino

There will be a steady decline in young people buying season tickets. I still say the #1 reasons is we no longer let young families come to the games building a tradition that there kids will want to continue. There are zero cheap basketball or football tickets to get a family just the cheapest seat to experience the atmosphere with there kids. Most people are not going to decide at 30,40 I want season tickets if you haven’t experience these games when your a youth. Everyone should want there to as many young families as possible at these games.
Agreed. This is true for football as well.

There will be a steady decline in young people buying season tickets. I still say the #1 reasons is we no longer let young families come to the games building a tradition that there kids will want to continue. There are zero cheap basketball or football tickets to get a family just the cheapest seat to experience the atmosphere with there kids. Most people are not going to decide at 30,40 I want season tickets if you haven’t experience these games when your a youth. Everyone should want there to as many young families as possible at these games.

I'm bringing my son up for his first game in The Barn on Feb. 16 vs. Indiana. I wanted him to experience the game in good seats but my jaw dropped when I saw prices from the ticket office (not even the secondary market) were $85 apiece! For a college basketball game? This is a special trip coming to Minneapolis from Chicago, otherwise I wouldn't have paid those prices. I can see the Gophers play at Northwestern, 2 miles from my house, for $15 apiece. Mad props to those of you who fork over that kind of cash for season tickets, that's a significant financial commitment. I don't see how those prices are sustainable in the long term.

The previous reference to Dan Monson's record makes me wonder if the Gophers are still suffering from the Pioneer Press/Ganglehoff scandal 20 years later. It dawned on me that all us Gopher fans over the age of 40 or so haven't seen teams that come close to matching Clem's teams which is sad, even if you exclude the Final Four vacated year. I think we've had 1 NCAA win in 20 years since Clem left?

And we fired the coach the year we got that one win.

The previous reference to Dan Monson's record makes me wonder if the Gophers are still suffering from the Pioneer Press/Ganglehoff scandal 20 years later. It dawned on me that all us Gopher fans over the age of 40 or so haven't seen teams that come close to matching Clem's teams which is sad, even if you exclude the Final Four vacated year. I think we've had 1 NCAA win in 20 years since Clem left?

That is a fact. Some wont admit it, however it is true.

I'm bringing my son up for his first game in The Barn on Feb. 16 vs. Indiana. I wanted him to experience the game in good seats but my jaw dropped when I saw prices from the ticket office (not even the secondary market) were $85 apiece! For a college basketball game? This is a special trip coming to Minneapolis from Chicago, otherwise I wouldn't have paid those prices. I can see the Gophers play at Northwestern, 2 miles from my house, for $15 apiece. Mad props to those of you who fork over that kind of cash for season tickets, that's a significant financial commitment. I don't see how those prices are sustainable in the long term.

I did the same thing last year! Flew up from chicago with my wife all excited for the gophers game against indiana. My wife's first trip to the barn! Went the extra mile on seats and had to get them from stubhub which was over a hundred for each, only to get up there and have lynch suspended and then coffey injured so both didnt play. Still enjoyed myself in minneapolis, but didn't expect that to happen. Enjoy the game with your son!

We could probably get Tubby away from High Point..... Want him?

No thanks ! He came here on a soft landing and the desire of Minnesota to win the press conference, wanted to win the press conference with Pitino name as well instead of realizing that wonderful coaches win press conferences easily, but they do something even better, win games. Short story, i like Tubby as a man, gracious and classy. Half way through his time here i sat next to him as i was pre scouting for another program and at the end of the first half he leaned over and told me he was simply too tired to be doing this and left. Not unusual to see a prospect and leave early but looking in his eyes and hearing those words all that came to me was was a sight of total exhaustion.To think that he took on three jobs since is crazy but he did finally get home. It was time for him to go but if i am not mistaken he did win more than we do now ! Beat Michigan.

No thanks ! He came here on a soft landing and the desire of Minnesota to win the press conference, wanted to win the press conference with Pitino name as well instead of realizing that wonderful coaches win press conferences easily, but they do something even better, win games. Short story, i like Tubby as a man, gracious and classy. Half way through his time here i sat next to him as i was pre scouting for another program and at the end of the first half he leaned over and told me he was simply too tired to be doing this and left. Not unusual to see a prospect and leave early but looking in his eyes and hearing those words all that came to me was was a sight of total exhaustion.To think that he took on three jobs since is crazy but he did finally get home. It was time for him to go but if i am not mistaken he did win more than we do now ! Beat Michigan.

Have a coach friend who went to one of his clinics and raved about Tubby. Tubby was very classy during the clinic and talked with my friend after the clinic. Tubby tried to be as helpful as he could. Contrast that to a Bob Knight clinic my friend attended. Said Knight booted the college team off the floor that was there to demonstrate his concepts. They weren't paying close unuf attention. Friend wasnt impressed.
Tubby's recruiting definitely slipped here at the end as well as starters leaving spelled the end for him.

Do you think someone like Oates would come here? I almost think our best shot would be to get an assistant of a very successful coach, but then think its helpful for a coach to have sone sort of pedigree to help with recruiting. At any rate, I still would not be surprised if we finish top 5 in conf. as the big ten middle teams have been inconsistent as us. Envision someting like two years ago when the team took off 2nd half of the season, but we'll see. Then really important to see what happens with recruiting.

Baylor a good comparison for Gophers

Baylor was banned from playing a non-conference schedule in 2005-06, as close as any basketball or football program has come to the SMU football death penalty. Since the time of their scandals (including Baylor's abbreviated 2005-06 season), Baylor and the Gophers have:

111-111 conference record (Gophers 124-202 since 1999-2000 season)

7 NCAA appearances (Gophers 5)

10 NCAA Tournament wins (Gophers 1)

2 Elite 8 appearances (Gophers 0)

2 Sweet 16 appearances (Gophers 0)

1 NIT championship (Gophers 1)

1 NIT runner-up (Gophers 1)

The U of M, now 20 years removed from its scandal as opposed to 13 years for Baylor, have matched the Bears in NIT acumen, only.

As Nick Bakay would say,

Advantage: Baylor.

Last edited:

When Tubby first came here his recruiting was on fire, after he was diagnosed with cancer everything seemed to drop off, had to have an impact.

The computer ranking systems have the Big Ten as the best conference in America.

That still doesn't mean 10 teams from the conference deserve to go. A first place in the computer rankings (actually, the Big 12 has that in Sagarin) doesn't mean much at all unless the numerical difference is large. Does an 84.60 rating really mean that a conference is so much better than an 84.25 second place rating so that the top score deserves 10 bids while the second place score deserves 6 bids? I definitely think not. That's the definition of innumerate decision making.

They certainly aren't a dominant top conference. If they were, they would have done better than a tie with the ACC in the Challenge.

I did the same thing last year! Flew up from chicago with my wife all excited for the gophers game against indiana. My wife's first trip to the barn! Went the extra mile on seats and had to get them from stubhub which was over a hundred for each, only to get up there and have lynch suspended and then coffey injured so both didnt play. Still enjoyed myself in minneapolis, but didn't expect that to happen. Enjoy the game with your son!

Thanks! I hope we have better luck with the roster and get a win.

That still doesn't mean 10 teams from the conference deserve to go. A first place in the computer rankings (actually, the Big 12 has that in Sagarin) doesn't mean much at all unless the numerical difference is large. Does an 84.60 rating really mean that a conference is so much better than an 84.25 second place rating so that the top score deserves 10 bids while the second place score deserves 6 bids? I definitely think not. That's the definition of innumerate decision making.

They certainly aren't a dominant top conference. If they were, they would have done better than a tie with the ACC in the Challenge.

Yea, I have ten B1G teams in my bracket right now, but I don't think it will be that way come March. B1G will get 8, maybe 9. Just not enough wins to go around. Things would have to break just right to get 10. NW, Illinois, Penn St, and Rutgers would have to lose to every team above them in the standings. And Michigan/Michigan St would have to drop a few games each to the B1G teams that will end up near the bubble. Even then, the rest of the teams would have to sort out the remaining wins just right. Likelihood is at least one of Indiana/Minnesota/Nebraska/Ohio St is not going to make it.

Big 12 is extremely balanced. The last place team just beat the first place team. B1G is probably a little better on the high end now that Kansas lost Azubuike for the season.

Yea, I have ten B1G teams in my bracket right now, but I don't think it will be that way come March. B1G will get 8, maybe 9. Just not enough wins to go around. Things would have to break just right to get 10. NW, Illinois, Penn St, and Rutgers would have to lose to every team above them in the standings. And Michigan/Michigan St would have to drop a few games each to the B1G teams that will end up near the bubble. Even then, the rest of the teams would have to sort out the remaining wins just right. Likelihood is at least one of Indiana/Minnesota/Nebraska/Ohio St is not going to make it.

Big 12 is extremely balanced. The last place team just beat the first place team. B1G is probably a little better on the high end now that Kansas lost Azubuike for the season.

I think how it ultimately ends up is 7 teams pretty solidly in, one that looks very bubbly, and 2 that kind of fall off just due to the big ten grind (7-13 type records). So, I agree. We just need to accumulate 6-7 more wins and we'll be in good shape given the depth of the league.

Well stated.

Any of the other 8 at-large candidates (I'm not ready to lump Maryland with MSU & Michigan) that knocks off either of the Michigan schools will have a major leg up on those that don't, especially if it's on the road. But at home is good, too. That's likely gonna' end up being a top-10 win. So far Wisconsin is the only one of the 8 that owns one of those, and that's why I think the Badgers are in great shape with the resume they already have. Badgers would really have to blow it now (9-11?) not to make the NCAA Tournament.

If I'm a Big Ten team sitting on the bubble on Selection Sunday, I want to be holding a win over Michigan State or Michigan. It'll be like a trump card (no pun intended) if your fellow conference brethren don't have one.

Last edited:

You like snakes? [emoji216]

Who would you rather have making the hire? Personally, give me the "snake" that does the proper back channeling to snag the guy at the top of his list. Nice guys finish last. Coyle is the most competent AD we've had in my sports watching lifetime (not a high bar I know).

Yea, I have ten B1G teams in my bracket right now, but I don't think it will be that way come March. B1G will get 8, maybe 9. Just not enough wins to go around.

Yes, not enough wins to go around and the committee shouldn't be taking multiple teams with losing records from this conference if there are deserving teams from other conferences. People get too wrapped up in these year-to-year fluctuations in computer rankings especially when the actual differences between closely ranked conferences are very, or at least relatively, small. Does anyone whose mind exists in the real world really believe that the Big Ten conference went from 4 teams worthy to 10 teams worthy in one year? The conference deserved more than 4 teams last year but doesn't deserve 10 (or probably even 9) this year.

Who would you rather have making the hire? Personally, give me the "snake" that does the proper back channeling to snag the guy at the top of his list. Nice guys finish last. Coyle is the most competent AD we've had in my sports watching lifetime (not a high bar I know).
Beth Goetz

Have a coach friend who went to one of his clinics and raved about Tubby. Tubby was very classy during the clinic and talked with my friend after the clinic. Tubby tried to be as helpful as he could. Contrast that to a Bob Knight clinic my friend attended. Said Knight booted the college team off the floor that was there to demonstrate his concepts. They weren't paying close unuf attention. Friend wasnt impressed.
Tubby's recruiting definitely slipped here at the end as well as starters leaving spelled the end for him.

Do you think someone like Oates would come here? I almost think our best shot would be to get an assistant of a very successful coach, but then think its helpful for a coach to have sone sort of pedigree to help with recruiting. At any rate, I still would not be surprised if we finish top 5 in conf. as the big ten middle teams have been inconsistent as us. Envision someting like two years ago when the team took off 2nd half of the season, but we'll see. Then really important to see what happens with recruiting.

I think Oates would come here but Pitino has a chance to win the job. Win tonight, go 12-8 at worst. The younger Bob KNIGHT gave one of the best 5 clinics i ever saw. FYI , on Tubby. The state was very short on good talent for 4 years and UW had established themselves in the state. But look at who the top state kids were in 09-12.

Built, by chance do you know former Wisconsin assistant Paul Costanzo?

On the Bennett staff at UW, way ahead of the curve on recruiting technology. Polite, friendly guy.

Top Bottom