Reusse: Simply put, it's make-or-break time for Gophers coach Richard Pitino

Who has coil [emoji216] hired besides PJ and an unproven Whalen? Is the Whalen hire any different than the Pitino hire? Both are hired with little to no head coaching experience.
Coil is, to me, a snake [emoji216] who is not to be trusted.

Ya, we get it. You're very clever.

I've never been convinced that Richard will be fired for missing the NCAAs, and I'm no more convinced now. Unless they collapse and miss the NIT, he'll be back next year to coach this freshman class as sophomores.

That said, Pat is right about establishing respectable minimum standards. My junior-class daughter told us on the drive over to the Penn State game that she buys into the notion that you can't win at Minnesota, even in the face of what my wife and i were telling her: that there were sellout crowds, a waiting list for season tickets, and multiple NCAA berths in the early years we had season tix. It seems so long ago.

Her fatalism as much as anything worries me about the future of this program. She and her peers won't be buying season tickets as young adults and new grads the way we did a generation ago. It doesn't have to be this way, but we've consciously allowed it to get to this point by watching the gradual decline of the program like a slow-motion train wreck. The frog has been in the water now for a long time and hasn't noticed how hot the water has gotten. If people are OK with the current state of things or thinks like my daughter that this is a hopeless cause, we should just keep the current coach and let it ride. Just don't think the next six years are going to be any different than the previous six. What you see is what you get.

How is your view any different from Pat’s? I don’t see much.

I like the Gophers, hope they do well tonight, hope the rest of the season goes well, hopes Pitino builds on this season, thinks that Pitino's B10 coach of the year trophy was not luck, hope this is the start of a long track record of winning, think these guys can do it if the leaders on the team step up, gave Pitino a pass for last year, am happy to judge Pitino at the end of the year based on this entire year, think that spending my time complaining or name calling Pitino doesnt help recruiting or the team, will be at the press conference excited to support a new coach if it comes to that, enthusiastically support the players for the next coaches team, don't spend my time complaining about leadership on any of the MN sports teams, don't have an award that I hand out solely for sports people that I think suck, and am generally not a fan of Reusse.

Other than that there is not much difference...

It's never as bad as you think it is, nor as good. My guess? We stomp out Penn State and play Michigan close, and all faith is restored. When we have things clicking I still think we are a top 5 team this year (Big 10). It's all about peaking at the right time.

I like the Gophers, hope they do well tonight, hope the rest of the season goes well, hopes Pitino builds on this season, thinks that Pitino's B10 coach of the year trophy was not luck, hope this is the start of a long track record of winning, think these guys can do it if the leaders on the team step up, gave Pitino a pass for last year, am happy to judge Pitino at the end of the year based on this entire year, think that spending my time complaining or name calling Pitino doesnt help recruiting or the team, will be at the press conference excited to support a new coach if it comes to that, enthusiastically support the players for the next coaches team, don't spend my time complaining about leadership on any of the MN sports teams, don't have an award that I hand out solely for sports people that I think suck, and am generally not a fan of Reusse.

Other than that there is not much difference...

I wonder if those who don't think Pitino can do the job are cheering for PSU tonight.

That's your only stance left for Pitino.

I'd ask you to think on that, but what would be the point?

I wonder if those who don't think Pitino can do the job are cheering for PSU tonight.

That's your only stance left for Pitino.

I'd ask you to think on that, but what would be the point?

Anyone who would rather see their "team" lose to prove a point or further an agenda is not an actual fan. There is no arguing that. None.

I've never been convinced that Richard will be fired for missing the NCAAs, and I'm no more convinced now. Unless they collapse and miss the NIT, he'll be back next year to coach this freshman class as sophomores.

Disagree. It’s safe to say that Coyle gets trajectory and Pitino has not shown one in YEAR SIX. We have a talented but flawed roster that is mercurial on game night and our sole 2019 recruit is outside the consensus top 150. Tre Jones left for Duke, Hurt is likely gone, and the Hopkins kid left for AZ so Pitino has only shown the ability to land top notch local recruits when there are mitigating circumstances (Coffey with the missed junior season and Hoiberg’s departure from IA State - plus his dad’s connection to the U - and Oturu’s professed desire to stay close to family).

I love Richard’s personality and have really wanted him to succeed but his program is teetering on fair to middling more than half a decade in. I’ve seen enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disagree. It’s safe to say that Coyle gets trajectory and Pitino has not shown one in YEAR SIX. We have a talented but flawed roster that is mercurial on game night and our sole 2019 recruit is outside the consensus top 150. Tre Jones left for Duke, Hurt is likely gone, and the Hopkins kid left for AZ so Pitino has only shown the ability to land top notch local recruits when there are mitigating circumstances (Coffey with the missed junior season and Hoiberg’s departure from IA State - plus his dad’s connection to the U - and Oturu’s professed desire to stay close to family).

I love Richard’s personality and have really wanted him to succeed but his program is teetering on fair to middling more than half a decade in. I’ve seen enough.

OMG. You seriously just laid out a Doogie f-ing tidbit like it's a fact. Hit the showers.

Cool post. Whatever piece you’re fixated on, the logic holds.

Did Richard Coffey himself tell you Amir was going to ISU before Hoiberg left? Doogie is the one who keeps floating that bit

Did Richard Coffey himself tell you Amir was going to ISU before Hoiberg left? Doogie is the one who keeps floating that bit

Yes, Richard and I used to jump out of airplanes together in the army.

There are a whole bunch of thoughts in my post and that’s what you chose to focus on. Only a small fraction of folks on this board care about the pissing matches and I gnash my teeth wading through them to get to the core concepts.

So let me redirect: the concern is about Pitino’s failure to create inroads with top local talent whatever arguments are cited. Let’s stick to discussing some of those larger themes and keep our streams pointed at the urinal cake.

Yes, Richard and I used to jump out of airplanes together in the army.

There are a whole bunch of thoughts in my post and that’s what you chose to focus on. Only a small fraction of folks on this board care about the pissing matches and I gnash my teeth wading through them to get to the core concepts.

So let me redirect: the concern is about Pitino’s failure to create inroads with top local talent whatever arguments are cited. Let’s stick to discussing some of those larger themes and keep our streams pointed at the urinal cake.

The theme is that you knock him for the local 5-stars he doesn't get, but with his two best local recruits, you find a way to discount him getting them? Seem like an even playing field? I'll hang up and listen.

In college basketball today, you either have to be a really good recruiter, or a really good X's and O's coach who can make adjustments.

I'm starting to fear that Pitino is neither. He's an OK recruiter, but not great - and an OK coach - but not great. In today's game, that puts you exactly where the Gophers are - the middle of the pack.

If that's good enough for you, then Pitino is fine. If that's not good enough for you, then Pitino could be in trouble.

But, there's really only one opinion that counts - Mark Coyle. What you or I think really doesn't matter.

Still thinking no worse than 12-8 but Pitino has not been fair to middling. Far worse. Tonight the defense was how it has to be . Now do it at Michigan.

Still thinking no worse than 12-8 but Pitino has not been fair to middling. Far worse. Tonight the defense was how it has to be . Now do it at Michigan.

No worse than 12-8. You can't be serious!

they are going to get run out at michigan.

That means no worse than 8-4. I'll have another, please!

Last edited:

The theme is that you knock him for the local 5-stars he doesn't get, but with his two best local recruits, you find a way to discount him getting them? Seem like an even playing field? I'll hang up and listen.

WriterGoph wins, Gopherphile. You've been exposed as a knobber.

No worse than 12-8. You can't be serious!

they are going to get run out at michigan.

That means no worse than 8-4. I'll have another, please!
It's gonna be ugly at Crisler. We do not matchup well at all. Michigan is better at nearly every position, plus subs. Minnesota would have to play their greatest game of the season.

It's gonna be ugly at Crisler. We do not matchup well at all. Michigan is better at nearly every position, plus subs. Minnesota would have to play their greatest game of the season.

The Michigan fans are not too rabid, and apparently Michigan did not match up too well with Wisconsin today, which is hard to even comprehend.

Michigan is a great team, with some of the best roster flexibility and offfensive flow I have ever seen, yet they lost today.against a very constipated team in Wisconsin. MN has a chance there, but not much of one regardless.

Penn State does not look much like a zero win team as #23, 24, 2, 5 and 11 have lots of talent and they almost won tonight because they have talent and play hard. (at least the last two games)

Losing to PSU would not have been good, but if you watched the game you would understand how an upset can happen. There is a sliver of hope, sort of like when we won at Maryland and Purdue two years ago, but Michigan is great.

Last edited:

IW played a great game there last year and we nearly won. So, maybe try and repeat that?

The Michigan fans are not too rabid, and apparently Michigan did not match up too well with Wisconsin today, which is hard to even comprehend.

Michigan is a great team, with some of the best roster flexibility and offfensive flow I have ever seen, yet they lost today.against a very constipated team in Wisconsin. MN has a chance there, but not much of one regardless.

Penn State does not look much like a zero win team as #23, 24, 2, 5 and 11 have lots of talent and they almost won tonight because they have talent and play hard. (at least the last two games)

Losing to PSU would not have been good, but if you watched the game you would understand how an upset can happen. There is a sliver of hope, sort of like when we won at Maryland and Purdue two years ago, but Michigan is great.
IW played a great game there last year and we nearly won. So, maybe try and repeat that?
Michigan missed a lot of open threes and Bzekias (sp) only had a couple points. Yesterday's Michigan game was our Illinois game...and Michigan still almost won. I will be shocked if we keep it in single digits, let alone...win. But, miracles can happen.

Yeah the "more bad teams than good" is purely Reusse trying to goad people.

I can see that statement being valid. Good teams, Michigan State, Michigan & Maryland. Bad teams, Illinois, Penn St, Rutgers & Northwestern. The other 7 teams are somewhere in between, can win or lose any given night.

If the decision makers were to judge solely on the basis of one-year improvement, I would agree with that. However, there are other circumstances that might lead them to make a change even if the team makes the NIT:

1) Pitino's buyout is now more manageable (less than $3 million);

2) There is only one committed recruit so far so there is a low risk of significant de-commits;

3) The sit-out transfers this season are not in good position to transfer again and there aren't obvious reasons for the currently active players to transfer;

4) Looking at next year's roster, there is legitimate reason to believe that it has less potential than this year's roster; and

5) The decision makers may have someone in mind and may prefer to strike while the window is open.

#5 is purely speculative of course but I have to think that the primary actors have been thinking about a possible coaching successor. The end of this season might just turn out to be as good of a time as any to move on.

I can see that statement being valid. Good teams, Michigan State, Michigan & Maryland. Bad teams, Illinois, Penn St, Rutgers & Northwestern. The other 7 teams are somewhere in between, can win or lose any given night.

SelectionSunday has 10 Big Teams in the tournament right now. Even if he's off by 30%, that still falls short of "more bad teams than good."

SelectionSunday has 10 Big Teams in the tournament right now. Even if he's off by 30%, that still falls short of "more bad teams than good."

Depends what your definition of good and bad are. Everyone can decide for themselves what good is. Finishing .500 in a conference to me is not good. I am not offended if someone else thinks it is.

Taking 10 teams from this conference would be a great injustice.

That said, Pat is right about establishing respectable minimum standards. My junior-class daughter told us on the drive over to the Penn State game that she buys into the notion that you can't win at Minnesota, even in the face of what my wife and i were telling her: that there were sellout crowds, a waiting list for season tickets, and multiple NCAA berths in the early years we had season tix. It seems so long ago.

Her fatalism as much as anything worries me about the future of this program. She and her peers won't be buying season tickets as young adults and new grads the way we did a generation ago. It doesn't have to be this way, but we've consciously allowed it to get to this point by watching the gradual decline of the program like a slow-motion train wreck. The frog has been in the water now for a long time and hasn't noticed how hot the water has gotten. If people are OK with the current state of things or thinks like my daughter that this is a hopeless cause, we should just keep the current coach and let it ride. Just don't think the next six years are going to be any different than the previous six. What you see is what you get.

There will be a steady decline in young people buying season tickets. I still say the #1 reasons is we no longer let young families come to the games building a tradition that there kids will want to continue. There are zero cheap basketball or football tickets to get a family just the cheapest seat to experience the atmosphere with there kids. Most people are not going to decide at 30,40 I want season tickets if you haven’t experience these games when your a youth. Everyone should want there to as many young families as possible at these games.

per Pat:

A dozen years later, we have a young coach in his sixth season, and he inherited a stronger roster than Monson, and is coaching in a metro area that suddenly has classes full of big-time basketball prospects, and he gets to play Rutgers (often twice), and this has to be it.

This week’s abomination, a 95-68 loss at Illinois, put the Gophers at 3-3 in the Big Ten’s 20-game schedule. There are still plenty of wins to be had in a conference with more bad teams than good ones, and if he doesn’t get to 11 or 12 wins and return to the NCAA tournament, maybe finally win an NCAA game, it’s simple: Richard Pitino must be gone.

Miserable crowds, including a Big Ten opener with under 10,000 announced, a conference record that stands at 34-62 (.354) — in the name of Dan Monson, there have to be some minimal standards applied here again for Gophers basketball.

http://www.startribune.com/simply-p...e-for-gophers-coach-richard-pitino/504565042/

Go Gophers!!

Strangely, I agree with Fat Pat on this one.

The previous reference to Dan Monson's record makes me wonder if the Gophers are still suffering from the Pioneer Press/Ganglehoff scandal 20 years later. It dawned on me that all us Gopher fans over the age of 40 or so haven't seen teams that come close to matching Clem's teams which is sad, even if you exclude the Final Four vacated year. I think we've had 1 NCAA win in 20 years since Clem left?

Top Bottom