How much do we miss Kimani Young and Ben Johnson?

Moonlight

Reaction score
I would say a lot. I dont see this year's assistants touching in with the players during game time like these two did.
Thoughts?

I don't think what we're seeing this year from the team is much different than what we've seen in the past. The team has always been extremely inconsistent under Pitino regardless of who the assistants are.

I don't think what we're seeing this year from the team is much different than what we've seen in the past. The team has always been extremely inconsistent under Pitino regardless of who the assistants are.

Is that to say, consistently inconsistent :confused:

We’re missing them on the recruiting trail more than anything on the floor.

Zzzzzzzz. We moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WE may not particularly miss them, but that recruitment also forms a working relationship during the season, and some attention toward success. Recruiters want to see their recruit succeed. Ben & Kimani were very hands on.
Perhaps these new assitants are stellar, but I don't see the activity during the game as I did in the past and I've had a bird's eye view. Losing is one thing. Collapsing in their 3 losses is shocking considering how well this team can play when they're not actively falling apart.

We miss Nate Mason more than anyone and it’s not close.

Couldn't agree more. Pitino's recruiting strategy to recruit programs and try to keep local kids was completely lost with these two. I don't have any contact with the new coaches, but the direction seems to be different

Pitino said Lindsted was a great recruiter. Rob Jeter has a far better record as a coach than Ben. Ultimately it is all on the head coach to close deals. You get pre scouted and screened, referred and then personal contact, visits etc.. The head coach has to be able to come off as being something that the competition is not. Playing time, opportunity and development.

Pitino said Lindsted was a great recruiter. Rob Jeter has a far better record as a coach than Ben. Ultimately it is all on the head coach to close deals. You get pre scouted and screened, referred and then personal contact, visits etc.. The head coach has to be able to come off as being something that the competition is not. Playing time, opportunity and development.

Agree that the head coach must close the deals, but Kimani was not brought in for his coaching acumen. He was brought in because of his deep ties to the east coast AAU scene.

We don't miss them at all; and actually are better off without them. 2 historically horrible seasons with them on the staff. And Jelly at PG may lead to Lil' Ricky's demise.

We don't miss them at all; and actually are better off without them. 2 historically horrible seasons with them on the staff. And Jelly at PG may lead to Lil' Ricky's demise.
I would agree with this. Last year's three kids from Minnesota required little recruitment from our assistants and the kids we picked up from other states have not been game changers.
Our present coaching staff, Illinois game being an outlier, has game planned much better than the past couple years.

I am not sure how much we miss them on the recruiting trail. My suspicion is that recruiting has gone so terrible because of the results on the court/Pitino's job status as opposed to Johnson/Young being significantly better recruiters. Kimani seemed to be very good at getting the Gophers on the long list of some very good East Coast kids, but we'd rarely even get a visit from those really elite kids. Ben had some solid gets and some big misses in-state. I think they were solid recruiters, but not fantastic ones. On the court, I'd like to know who had the scout for Boston College and Illinois. If it happened to be the same coach and it was a new guy, then that would suggest a downgrade. Other than that one possible issue, I see the same Pitino team that we've seen for a number of years now. Even last year, before the issues, the team had really concerning road efforts at Arkansas and at Nebraska.

I am not sure how much we miss them on the recruiting trail. My suspicion is that recruiting has gone so terrible because of the results on the court/Pitino's job status as opposed to Johnson/Young being significantly better recruiters. Kimani seemed to be very good at getting the Gophers on the long list of some very good East Coast kids, but we'd rarely even get a visit from those really elite kids. Ben had some solid gets and some big misses in-state. I think they were solid recruiters, but not fantastic ones. On the court, I'd like to know who had the scout for Boston College and Illinois. If it happened to be the same coach and it was a new guy, then that would suggest a downgrade. Other than that one possible issue, I see the same Pitino team that we've seen for a number of years now. Even last year, before the issues, the team had really concerning road efforts at Arkansas and at Nebraska.
Thanks - I appreciate the perspective.

FWIW: Recruiting rankings of Johnson, Young, Jeter and Lindsted from 2014-2018. These are 247 rankings.
Young 82. All others unranked
Young 12, Johnson 22. Jeter and Lindsted unranked
Johnson 41. All others unranked
Young 11. All others unranked
Johnson 20. All others unranked

I miss them so much, I hadn’t even given them a thought the entire season until I saw this thread.

I miss them so much, I hadn’t even given them a thought the entire season until I saw this thread.
Yes - but once you do, its so obvious isn't it?! lol
I am interested in seeing where Ben's career heads, so I miss him in that respect.

I'm confused by the premise.

Gophers were 15-17 with these coaches last year. Gophers are 14-4 without them this year, and somehow that leads to the conclusion that we must be missing them?

Couple that with the fact that Xavier is having its worst year in a long time and that UConn is terrible?

Ben and Kamani are fine coaches and good people, but let's not try to create stuff.

Rob Jeter and Kyle Linsted are more than capable of replacing those two.

I'm confused by the premise.

Gophers were 15-17 with these coaches last year. Gophers are 14-4 without them this year, and somehow that leads to the conclusion that we must be missing them?

Couple that with the fact that Xavier is having its worst year in a long time and that UConn is terrible?

Ben and Kamani are fine coaches and good people, but let's not try to create stuff.

Rob Jeter and Kyle Linsted are more than capable of replacing those two.

We may miss them in the recruiting area, only 1 new recruit. But I have heard that the players like the new coaches.

We may miss them in the recruiting area, only 1 new recruit. But I have heard that the players like the new coaches.

And you also have to wonder if the down year in recruiting so far is due to the change in coaches

And you also have to wonder if the down year in recruiting so far is due to the change in coaches

It could be, but Young is the 12th ranked recruiter in his first year and Johnson is 13. Like I said before, Kimani was not brought in for his coaching. I think the new coaches, at least Jeter, is a win on the coaching end, but Johnson and Kimani are far superior recruiters.

It could be, but Young is the 12th ranked recruiter in his first year and Johnson is 13. Like I said before, Kimani was not brought in for his coaching. I think the new coaches, at least Jeter, is a win on the coaching end, but Johnson and Kimani are far superior recruiters.

I get the rankings, but Dorsey is/was his 2nd best recruit after IW, right? So that ranking doesn’t mean much to me.

I get the rankings, but Dorsey is/was his 2nd best recruit after IW, right? So that ranking doesn’t mean much to me.

Either Dorsey or Dupree. They were both ranked in the top 150 somewhere. Not all talent is going to live up to their potential, but history proves that the rankings are right more often than not.

Either Dorsey or Dupree. They were both ranked in the top 150 somewhere. Not all talent is going to live up to their potential, but history proves that the rankings are right more often than not.

Cool.

So if he’s commits (according to 247 in order) were IW, Dorsey, Dupree, Mason, Jamir Harris, Daquein and Gilbert then no, I don’t think we miss that.

Top Bottom