Fitz offered the Maple Grove kid, Evan Hull, today

Seems like that could be the offer he wanted (he did have a K-State as well). I have it from a good source and believe it to be true that on an unofficial to the U, PJ asked him "what if I were to offer you a scholarship right now". Supposedly he stated that he would have to weigh this offer with other offers he had and/or could get (Iowa was rumored to be getting ready to offer). Apparently that was not what PJ was expecting to hear and wasn't too happy about it. Remember he wants kids that WANT to be a Gopher. Can't say I blame either side if that's the case...each has their reasons.

NotaFanofBecky - I'm not saying the story isn't true, but it would be odd of PJ didn't offer a kid who wanted to weigh his options. We've offered many players who weighed their options.

I've said it multiple times on here, so maybe I'm bitter, but we should offer this kid. If we add another RB, it should have been him.

Seems like that could be the offer he wanted (he did have a K-State as well). I have it from a good source and believe it to be true that on an unofficial to the U, PJ asked him "what if I were to offer you a scholarship right now". Supposedly he stated that he would have to weigh this offer with other offers he had and/or could get (Iowa was rumored to be getting ready to offer). Apparently that was not what PJ was expecting to hear and wasn't too happy about it. Remember he wants kids that WANT to be a Gopher. Can't say I blame either side if that's the case...each has their reasons.

I can understand that scenario from both sides. I don't blame the kid for wanting to weigh options, but I also don't blame PJ for moving on, especially since Hull isn't super highly rated.

NotaFanofBecky - I'm not saying the story isn't true, but it would be odd of PJ didn't offer a kid who wanted to weigh his options. We've offered many players who weighed their options.

I've said it multiple times on here, so maybe I'm bitter, but we should offer this kid. If we add another RB, it should have been him.

Because you think he is really good or because he is one of us?

Doesn’t PJ offer hundreds of kids? I’m not buying this story at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t PJ offer hundreds of kids? I’m not buying this story at all.

yeah but hundreds of kids do not come in for an unofficial and sit down with you face to face. i can imagine that PJ is looking to interview these kids just as much as the kids are trying to get a sense of the program. if a kid isn't interested enough to at least show some excitement and goes with the cop out "need to consider everything," maybe he's not who you want in your program. Not saying that this is what happened, but with PJ being who he is, definitely think it is a realistic scenario.

yeah but hundreds of kids do not come in for an unofficial and sit down with you face to face. i can imagine that PJ is looking to interview these kids just as much as the kids are trying to get a sense of the program. if a kid isn't interested enough to at least show some excitement and goes with the cop out "need to consider everything," maybe he's not who you want in your program. Not saying that this is what happened, but with PJ being who he is, definitely think it is a realistic scenario.

So not visiting at all is more desirable than visiting but not committing on the spot?

So not visiting at all is more desirable than visiting but not committing on the spot?

didn't say that at all. of course he doesn't need to commit on the spot. but i think PJ would want to at least see some excitement about it. we all know how PJ is. he wants people who are all in for the program and if somebody can't show excitement about being given an opportunity to be a part of your program, that's an easy pass. again, not saying this is what happened (how could we ever know) but just pointing out this is very plausible.

So let me get this straight ..... people are arguing about a kid who was going to be an NDSU player .... then he got an offer from K-State, because NDSU's former coach got hired there ..... and now suddenly he has blown up with an NW offer, and people are questioning if and how PJ may or may not have offered him?

I don't think we need another RB in this class anyway?

You are correct in my book. We are in great shape at that position. If he were projected to be an immediate game changer, it would be a different story... but it's not.

Northwestern offering at this point must mean they missed on several guys they wanted during the early signing period.

Northwestern offering at this point must mean they missed on several guys they wanted during the early signing period.

Right. I read the same .... and I read that this kid *just* popped up on their radar, because of the K-State offer, which itself is just because of a freak thing that almost never happens.

IMO being an intense competitor I get the sense Fitz would like nothing more than to to body slam a showboat like PJ, and if he can take a guy out of MN and turn him into a player at Northwestern that makes PJ look bad. IMO looks like a capable, aggressive albeit unspectacular player. Will be an interesting sideshow to watch.

IMO being an intense competitor I get the sense Fitz would like nothing more than to to body slam a showboat like PJ, and if he can take a guy out of MN and turn him into a player at Northwestern that makes PJ look bad. IMO looks like a capable, aggressive albeit unspectacular player. Will be an interesting sideshow to watch.

P.J. would rope-a-dope Fitz... and then, "big tree fall hard". :eek:

I hope he follows Klieman to K-State. But the NW academic brand, is a tough opportunity to pass up, for some.

I'm not even convinced Hull will play RB in college. He's a good player but nothing to get worked up about.

Yah, that’s how ya do it, yah.... take a player the the local school hasn’t gone after and hope you get lucky so that you can rub it into the face of the local school. Sounds like a great strategy for a winning program. I think Norte Dame or Alabama has a little better strategy. They go after the best players in the state.

Yah, that’s how ya do it, yah.... take a player the the local school hasn’t gone after and hope you get lucky so that you can rub it into the face of the local school. Sounds like a great strategy for a winning program. I think Norte Dame or Alabama has a little better strategy. They go after the best players in the state.

You’re right. Your player assessments and coaching >> arguably the best coach in the Big Ten.

Ridiculous take.

Steve Richardson certainly used the lack of recruitment by NW as motivation.

What would cause a player to "blow up" from early signing day to today, he literally hasn't played football in that time frame? The answer is, he was just next in line for teams who missed out on their guys. Teams are only offering now because they need to settle. People are only freaking out about him because he is "one of us" and fear of missing out. Might he end up being better than we thought? Of course, but we are in a position where we don't need to gamble on long shots like this at that position.

What would cause a player to "blow up" from early signing day to today, he literally hasn't played football in that time frame? The answer is, he was just next in line for teams who missed out on their guys. Teams are only offering now because they need to settle. People are only freaking out about him because he is "one of us" and fear of missing out. Might he end up being better than we thought? Of course, but we are in a position where we don't need to gamble on long shots like this at that position.

Yes, but it’s even beyond just this ... like I said, the K-State offer is the primer, and he got that offer because of the NDSU coach. So right here, is an extraordinary circumstance that has suddenly boosted his visibility to P5 schools.

You’re right. Your player assessments and coaching >> arguably the best coach in the Big Ten.

The best coach in the B1G who waited until the 11th hour to offer him. Who has no other RB commits in his 2019 class. Maybe Hull ends up being good and maybe he doesn’t, but the offers reek of desperation.

Last edited:

Maybe Hull ends up being good and maybe he doesn’t, but the offers reek of desperation.

Agreed. But good for Hull - if I were him I'd take the NW offer in a heartbeat.

Not sure if I’d go to northwestern if I was Hull.
He didn’t run out of gun mutch at maple grove and they are almost exclusively gun at Northwestern. Would be a different offensive fit.
His skill set fits the NDSU offense better. Not sure if they’re running the same thing at KSU.

Not sure if I’d go to northwestern if I was Hull.
He didn’t run out of gun mutch at maple grove and they are almost exclusively gun at Northwestern. Would be a different offensive fit.
His skill set fits the NDSU offense better. Not sure if they’re running the same thing at KSU.

Football wise, maybe. Education wise I wouldn't pass up the NW scholarship, even if you never see the football field.

Top Bottom