Fitz offered the Maple Grove kid, Evan Hull, today

Football wise, maybe. Education wise I wouldn't pass up the NW scholarship, even if you never see the football field.
Agreed. Great networking in a world class metropolis. My brother-in-law did his grad work at NU and has excelled internationally from the connections he made there.

The best coach in the B1G who waited until the 11th hour to offer him. Who has no other RB commits in his 2019 class. Maybe Hull ends up being good and maybe he doesn’t, but the offers reek of desperation.

Does the Kelvin Clemons offer reek of desperation or do the coaches think he is capable of being a good player.

You guys are hilariously over sensitive.

Because you think he is really good or because he is one of us?

There are literally thousands of MN running backs that I wouldn't have offered, it's because I think he's really good.

I could be wrong and I am sure I am biased (him being a MN kid), but I think he's a really impressive athlete. He has good size and he's legitimately fast.

I used to follow MN HS sports really close on the site and gave my predictions on players. I was hit or miss, so I could certainly be wrong again. Hull feels a lot like Amani Hooker and Zach Vraa felt. I couldn't understand what was missing, I feel that way about Hull.

Again, I am fully admitting it's just my dime store opinion.

Football wise, maybe. Education wise I wouldn't pass up the NW scholarship, even if you never see the football field.

Right, it depends what he thinks he wants to get out of football. Does he legit think he has a shot at the league? If not, the degree should be priority #1.

There are probably guys who use football to get into schools like Harvard, then quit the team and focus on school. Wouldn't blame them either.

More negativity and bad talking a kid. I thought we wanted a GH without that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important to note Cam Wiley is starting off at RB so we already have 3 RB commits with him, Potts and Williamson. I think he'll eventually move to safety though.

Last edited:

You’re right. Your player assessments and coaching >> arguably the best coach in the Big Ten.

Don’t be ridiculous, I never made any assessments. I just reworked your brilliant analysis of the motives. I think Friz is offering because he wants him, not for any sort of spite play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO being an intense competitor I get the sense Fitz would like nothing more than to to body slam a showboat like PJ, and if he can take a guy out of MN and turn him into a player at Northwestern that makes PJ look bad. IMO looks like a capable, aggressive albeit unspectacular player. Will be an interesting sideshow to watch.

This reads like you somehow believe PJ is not an intense competitor? The dude made the NFL as a 5'10 190lb wide receiver with a 4.6 forty from Northern Illinois.

Don’t be ridiculous, I never made any assessments. I just reworked your brilliant analysis of the motives. I think Friz is offering because he wants him, not for any sort of spite play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I don’t think it’s the reason but certainly will be a bonus. Let’s not kid ourselves.

This reads like you somehow believe PJ is not an intense competitor? The dude made the NFL as a 5'10 190lb wide receiver with a 4.6 forty from Northern Illinois.

I think PJ is also intense. Sometimes people like that like to compete in various ways.

Hull has very legit speed...10.78 in 100 meters...also ranked 7th at 195 pounds in MN AAA wrestling

Hull has very legit speed...10.78 in 100 meters...also ranked 7th at 195 pounds in MN AAA wrestling

I hope he honors what Klieman has done for him and goes to K-State, and has a great career there.

We’re more than fine at RB. It says nothing about our recruiting or Fleck that we’re not going to offer this kid. End of story.

This program is headed in the right direction the short Rossi defensive period is enough to convince me. Can't win without D. Certainly not going to criticize the Fleck recruiting. He wants talent plus his culture. If we don't offer he feels one of those is missing. We can expect our recruiting to be better than K State and NW regardless of any service rating. I don't mean to say that this or any other kid isn't good enough, just that Fleck will sort out what he wants and needs.

Last edited:

Does the Kelvin Clemons offer reek of desperation or do the coaches think he is capable of being a good player.

You guys are hilariously over sensitive.

You mean a guy that commited to us without taking a visit over a top20 team in Kentucky?

I hope that Evan Hull finds what he wants. If that's Northwestern,that's fine. I don't think that reflects badly on the Gophers. The Gophers are building RB depth. Maybe our next RB commits need to have a particular skill set in order to mesh with Ibrahim, Williams, Edmonds, Potts, etc. I don't know Hull's strengths are. Personally, I'd like to add two 2020 RB's who are fast and elusive, and who can be effective receiving out of the backfield.

This will be huge for Northwestern. Think of the points he’ll put on the board for takedowns, escapes, and reversals.

Agreed. Great networking in a world class metropolis. My brother-in-law did his grad work at NU and has excelled internationally from the connections he made there.

northwestern is a decent safety school, luckily i got into uchicago. no shame in settling for a school called northwestern that isn't even in the north west.

northwestern is a decent safety school, luckily i got into uchicago. no shame in settling for a school called northwestern that isn't even in the north west.
LOL I guess it is what you make it...
Uchicago has a fantastic d-1 football team...

Still smarting from that Stanford rejection, eh? :p

Good for Evan. I hope he has a great career at NW. We are going to miss on a few Minnesota kids - the ones that we want; and the ones that are not rated as high, but have potential under a player development program.

This is reality. I don't blame PJ Fleck for wanting a kid who truly wants to be a Gopher. If he was ranked as high as the top of the MN 2019 recruiting class, maybe he will have more latitude.

PJ Fleck is going to continually improve this Gopher team through recruiting and constant readjustments (meaning some kids will transfer out and leave the program, or from transfers into the program).

"My job is to out-recruit you."

Maple Grove running back Evan Hull commits to Northwestern

Maple Grove running back Evan Hull’s wait-and-see approach to his college football future paid dividends as he announced Monday evening that he has committed to play at Northwestern University.

“I am delighted to announce that I will be spending the next four years, in continuation of my academic and athletic career, at Northwestern University,” Hull posted on his Twitter account. “I am thrilled to move on to the next step – from the Maple Grove brotherhood to the Northwestern football family. The best is yet to come and I can’t wait to take all the things that got me to this point and use them to achieve my goals at NU.”

The 5-11, 190-pound Hull led the metro area in rushing last season with 1,915 yards and 19 touchdowns, and became Maple Grove’s career rushing leader with 4,140 total yards. He had numerous college offers from FCS-level and Ivy League schools, but said in December, before the NCAA early signing period, that he was going to wait to see how demand for services would play out after teams had a chance to assess their first wave of signings.

“Minnesota as a state is maybe not recruited as much and some guys get recruited a little bit later,” he said then. “Schools that I see myself fitting in best with are waiting to see what happens.”

Hull said at the time that not getting the offers he was hoping for inspired him to strive to do more.

“I have a really big chip on my shoulder,” he said.

https://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/989983

Go Gophers!!

Maple Grove running back Evan Hull commits to Northwestern

Maple Grove running back Evan Hull’s wait-and-see approach to his college football future paid dividends as he announced Monday evening that he has committed to play at Northwestern University.

“I am delighted to announce that I will be spending the next four years, in continuation of my academic and athletic career, at Northwestern University,” Hull posted on his Twitter account. “I am thrilled to move on to the next step – from the Maple Grove brotherhood to the Northwestern football family. The best is yet to come and I can’t wait to take all the things that got me to this point and use them to achieve my goals at NU.”

The 5-11, 190-pound Hull led the metro area in rushing last season with 1,915 yards and 19 touchdowns, and became Maple Grove’s career rushing leader with 4,140 total yards. He had numerous college offers from FCS-level and Ivy League schools, but said in December, before the NCAA early signing period, that he was going to wait to see how demand for services would play out after teams had a chance to assess their first wave of signings.

“Minnesota as a state is maybe not recruited as much and some guys get recruited a little bit later,” he said then. “Schools that I see myself fitting in best with are waiting to see what happens.”

Hull said at the time that not getting the offers he was hoping for inspired him to strive to do more.

“I have a really big chip on my shoulder,” he said.

https://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/989983

Go Gophers!!

I hope he takes full advantage of his opportunities in the classroom and does nothing on the football field.

Well, I guess it's ultimately Klieman's fault for extending the K-State offer that got him noticed by NW in the first place.

Should've just let him go to NDSU. Now he has used NDSU and Klieman to get somewhere else.

Top Bottom