Fresno State losing OC Kalen DeBoer to IU

swingman

Reaction score
DeBoer got his start out in Sioux Falls...

I played for coach DeBoer at USF his first college coaching gig...rumor was that he interviewed/on short list when it was thought our OC may go to WV. DeBoer has won eventually each place he has gone. Hopefully, just not against us when we play IU.

Love seeing these very successful coaches at lower levels being called up to bigger schools and doing well!

Another guy is the current head coach at Buffalo, who was at Wisc-Whitewater (DIII power). Buffalo just had a great season. If he keeps it up, he will undoubtedly get a shot at a P5.

Love seeing these very successful coaches at lower levels being called up to bigger schools and doing well!

Another guy is the current head coach at Buffalo, who was at Wisc-Whitewater (DIII power). Buffalo just had a great season. If he keeps it up, he will undoubtedly get a shot at a P5.

I think you will eventually see Bob Nielsen (UMD-2 national championships, Western IL, current South Dakota coach) get a shot in P5.

I think you will eventually see Bob Nielsen (UMD-2 national championships, Western IL, current South Dakota coach) get a shot in P5.

Notwithstanding the NDSU to K-State freak hiring .... I don't doubt you per se, but think it will have to be a pretty tough path.

He would probably have to win the MVFC, and then the national title at USD, an extremely tall task against NDSU, SDSU, UNI, etc. And that would probably only get him a job like Bohl got at Wyoming. I still think Bohl could eventually get a K-State type shot, if he can win a bit more at Wyoming (which itself is a very tall task, CO St new stadium, Air Force is always tough, Utah St much improved, Boise St wins a lot, and a lot of improvement from Fresno and San Diego St).

In hindsight, Bohl (and Neilsen if he follows) should've gone for a MAC gig, if he wanted to try to land in the P5. Winning the Mountain West is just a tough deal, unless you're at Boise. But in the MAC, you can turn around a program and win, I think because there is so much coaching turnover in that conf.

Notwithstanding the NDSU to K-State freak hiring .... I don't doubt you per se, but think it will have to be a pretty tough path.

He would probably have to win the MVFC, and then the national title at USD, an extremely tall task against NDSU, SDSU, UNI, etc. And that would probably only get him a job like Bohl got at Wyoming. I still think Bohl could eventually get a K-State type shot, if he can win a bit more at Wyoming (which itself is a very tall task, CO St new stadium, Air Force is always tough, Utah St much improved, Boise St wins a lot, and a lot of improvement from Fresno and San Diego St).

In hindsight, Bohl (and Neilsen if he follows) should've gone for a MAC gig, if he wanted to try to land in the P5. Winning the Mountain West is just a tough deal, unless you're at Boise. But in the MAC, you can turn around a program and win, I think because there is so much coaching turnover in that conf.

I was thinking more of perhaps a coordinator position at a higher visibility program and build from there. But perhaps at Nielsen's age, you are a head coach or nothing, you just ride the HC thing where you are (unless you get canned and have no other choice).

I was thinking more of perhaps a coordinator position at a higher visibility program and build from there. But perhaps at Nielsen's age, you are a head coach or nothing, you just ride the HC thing where you are (unless you get canned and have no other choice).

His age (59) will be a factor for sure. Plus he hasn't had much success at the FCS level yet.

It really is interesting to see who succeeds and who doesn't.

But in the MAC, you can turn around a program and win, I think because there is so much coaching turnover in that conf.

Good point. The MAC always seems to have the flavor of the year. Been going on forever.

Yea, like Rutgers. Oh wait, their coaches aspire to someday coach at NDSU...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fresno had a terrible offensive game plan vs us last year. Hopefully he keeps that up when we play Indiana.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You saw a different game then I did. In the second half we were just hanging on and AW11 great play, saved us at the end. (Punt return and Int.

Fresno had a terrible offensive game plan vs us last year. Hopefully he keeps that up when we play Indiana.

So you give Rodd Smith absolutely no credit in the first half??? Gophers lose if not for an incredible int late 4th..

So you give Rodd Smith absolutely no credit in the first half??? Gophers lose if not for an incredible int late 4th..

The late interception prevented Fresno from tying, presuming they don't go for and get a 2 point try. Going for a halfback option pass at that point of the game is arguably a pretty dumb call. Winfield's interception was an amazing athletic play, but only because he got caught not reading the play correctly. And judging by the rest of Robb Smith's defense that was played last year, no I can't possibly give him any credit.

Fresno State losing dline coach Jamar Cain to ASU...he was at NDSU before joining Tedford in 2017.

Our defense was flying that night.
It was kinda hard to tell what their game plan was because that was the best defensive performance the Gophers put on all season.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Fresno. I really do believe the Gophers had a great game that night.

Maybe it was so early in the season ... you had a combination of fresh players, and not having a good grasp of the defensive schemes yet ... so it led to more players (perhaps inadvertently) just flying around.

My theory on Robb Smith's failure is that he loaded the players down with too much scheme, and that made them play slow and timid. It's only a wild guess.

Yeah, we got lucky. Not to take anything from the players, but Fresno lost their mind with poor play calling. They had some things working and they ... just didn't call those again.

They made up for it the rest of the season.

I remember visiting the Fresno boards after the win and based on the general theme of opinions regarding their offensive coordinator - I would think there are parades forming right now in downtown Fresno.

I am pretty sure the HC Tedford is the impressive force behind the curtain making all the calls regarding offense, so the official OC title is meaningless.

We probably would have been OK hiring Tedford a few years back, after Cal whacked him, considering his work at Cal and Fresno, two programs that were on their backs when he took over.

Of course he found a way to get Marshawn Lynch and others into into elite Cal, but would he get the same top tier players admitted here, where the bar is not as high? Maybe M Lynch or Desean Jackson both had ACT scores above 31, I do not really know. I hat a 29 on the ACT, with no preparation at all, but suspect I would not have gotten into CAL.

Last edited:

There are two main parts to the offensive scheme: gameplanning, and play calling.

It could be that the game planning ... scouting the opponent defense, determining what play calls will be in the game day offensive package, which plays to run in practice, analyzing your own strengths/weaknesses against blitz/coverages, etc. .... fell on DeBoer, while the play calling in the game was a mixture or perhaps the final decision was Tedford's? Wild guess

Top Bottom