3 Iowa (8-3)
4 Maryland (5-3)
GOPHERS (5-3)
Ohio State (5-3)
7 Indiana (5-5)
Nebraska (5-5)
9 Wisconsin (5-6)
10 Purdue (4-6)

Losses vs. Quad 3 (no team has lost to a Quad 4 opponent) -- essentially losses to Quads 3 & 4 are your "bad" losses
GOPHERS (1)
Ohio State (1)

True Road Wins
1 Michigan State (5)
2 Maryland (3)
Michigan (3)
Ohio State (3)
Wisconsin (3)
6 Iowa (2)
Nebraska (2)
8 Indiana (1)
GOPHERS (1)
Purdue (1)

Overall SOS
1 Purdue (5)
2 Maryland (22)
3 Michigan State (25)
4 Wisconsin (31)
5 Nebraska (55)
6 Indiana (56)
7 Ohio State (57)
8 Iowa (66)
9 Michigan (67)
10 GOPHERS (74)

Non-Conference SOS
1 Purdue (37)
2 Maryland (38)
3 Michigan State (74)
4 Wisconsin (83)
5 Michigan (125)
6 Ohio State (133)
7 Indiana (146)
8 GOPHERS (168)
9 Nebraska (216)
10 Iowa (234)

Two things seem pretty clear with the new NET rankings:

1 Margin of victory matters A LOT more than the 10-point cap supposedly put in place (this is where the efficiency stuff comes into play). When you're playing a vastly inferior opponent, it pays to absolutely crush them. NC State is a good example of this. Wolfpack has a shiny #31 NET ranking largely because they've crushed 8 of the 9 Quad 4 opponents they've played. Overall SOS is #326, non-conference SOS #350 (of 353).

2 True road wins are critical. With regards to the final bubble teams, one thing I firmly believe about the Selection Committee is they'll look at how you performed in true road games. If you're sitting on the bubble, you better at least have a few true road wins on your ledger, preferably vs. Quad 1's and/or Quad 2's.

Last edited:

so as of right now you still think the gophers are an at large?

so as of right now you still think the gophers are an at large?

Yes. I don't do the seeding stuff, but I'd probably have them in the #10 seed range.

If they lose to Penn State, they'll be out of my next Field of 68 projection on Monday.

Absent beating Michigan and Michigan State, the Gophers need to rack up as many wins as possible vs. Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Nebraska, Purdue, and Wisconsin. We have 7 games left vs. those teams. I'd advise winning at least 4 of 'em.

Last edited:

Two things seem pretty clear with the new NET rankings:

1 Margin of victory matters A LOT more than the 10-point cap supposedly put in place (this is where the efficiency stuff comes into play). When you're playing a vastly inferior opponent, it pays to absolutely crush them. NC State is a good example of this. Wolfpack has a shiny #31 NET ranking largely because they've crushed 8 of the 9 Quad 4 opponents they've played. Overall SOS is #326, non-conference SOS #350 (of 353).

2 True road wins are critical. With regards to the final bubble teams, one thing I firmly believe about the Selection Committee is they'll look at how you performed in true road games. If you're sitting on the bubble, you better at least have a few true road wins on your ledger, preferably vs. Quad 1's and/or Quad 2's.

How do the 4 neutral wins factor in for the Gophers?

How do the 4 neutral wins factor in for the Gophers?

So far, they're really helping, other than Santa Clara. Washington is Quad 1, and Ok State and Texas A&M (for now) are hanging on as Quad 2s. I'll be happy if 1 of those 2 remains as such, especially in light of Ok State's recent booting of 3 players off the team. A&M is really close to dropping to Quad 3.

Top Bottom