Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The greatest Gopher you may not have heard of

I posted on this a few years ago but the other current thread about listing favorite Gophers inspired me to do it again. As people have been listing their favorite Gophers, most have cited recent Gophers but a few people have mentioned some of the usual suspects from bygone eras. One guy that seems to fall off the radar way more than he should is LEO NOMELLINI. I'm not surprised to see he hasn't been mentioned in that thread.

He wasn't ancient history and he is not among recent fan favorites. He played in the not-too-distant past. But, in terms of accomplishments - he should flat out be on the ring of fame in TCF Bank Stadium as his exploits for Gopher football match or even surpass the names that are there now.

He is sadly overlooked. I'm not sure why. I don't think he has many (or any?) living relatives so he will probably never get that honor (name added to stadium ring of fame) in a halftime ceremony where the AD hands a plaque to a current relative. I guess being named to all-time NFL team, NFL HOF, college football HOF, and 2 all america honors will have to do.
    Last edited by Schnauzer; 01-17-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Mine is Gil Fash.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Top 10 name right there.
    Go Gophers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    I posted on this a few years ago but the other current thread about listing favorite Gophers inspired me to do it again. As people have been listing their favorite Gophers, most have cited recent Gophers but a few people have mentioned some of the usual suspects from bygone eras. One guy that seems to fall off the radar way more than he should is LEO NOMELLINI. I'm not surprised to see he hasn't been mentioned in that thread.

He wasn't ancient history and he is not among recent fan favorites. He played in the not-too-distant past. But, in terms of accomplishments - he should flat out be on the ring of fame in TCF Bank Stadium as his exploits for Gopher football match or even surpass the names that are there now.

He is sadly overlooked. I'm not sure why. I don't think he has many (or any?) living relatives so he will probably never get that honor (name added to stadium ring of fame) in a halftime ceremony where the AD hands a plaque to a current relative. I guess being named to all-time NFL team, NFL HOF, college football HOF, and 2 all america honors will have to do.
    Agree, but like Bronko Nagurski, I've seen little film of him. I really had a tough time cutting the list. I was going to add Charlie Saunders to mine. Bruce Smith could have been easy to add as well.

Others that I really enjoyed watching play Peter Najarian, Steve Midboe (sp?) Parc Williams. Justin Isom (he looked like he was 5'4" out there but played like he was 6'2". Tyrone Carter is one I flat out missed. One of the best if not the best to play strong safety for the Maroon and Gold.

Yeah the 49ers retired his number and put him in their HOF. Barely had heard of him as a Gopher, but sounds like he was pretty legit when he wore the Maroon and Gold too.

It's lineman unawareness.

John Hankinson and Bob Stein.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Yeah the 49ers retired his number and put him in their HOF. Barely had heard of him as a Gopher, but sounds like he was pretty legit when he wore the Maroon and Gold too.

It's lineman unawareness.
    Fahnhorst was also a 49'er and a Gopher. https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article...at-66-12996172

Here is one name that hardly gets discussed. Gil Dobie. Hastings has given the Gophers some great ones (Think McNamara's). Gil might be tops for what he did in the coaching ranks. 61 games at Washington without a loss.

"Dobie was at Washington 1908-16 and never lost a game. His nine year record was 58-0-3 and included a 39-game winning streak."

https://footballfoundation.org/hof_search.aspx?hof=1293

.php

Need to add that he was a pro wrestler as well. The Lion was his ring nickname.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Blog Entries

Milt Sunde and Carl Eller.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Imagine, 170+ straight NFL starts plus making All-Pro as both an offensive and defensive tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by tikited View Post
    Need to add that he was a pro wrestler as well. The Lion was his ring nickname.
    It also happened to be the nickname his Gopher teammates gave him as well.
    One of few NFL players to be honored as an All-Pro as an Offensive player and Defensive player.
    Last edited by Buck_Buchanan; 01-17-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Jack Leius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Jack Leius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okay I laughed. Well played.

Karl Mecklenburg
    6x Pro Bowler
    4x First Team All Pro
    Bronco's Ring of Fame
    Dux Servus

A couple from the mid sixties: Aaron Brown and Gale Gillingham.