Bobby Bell
Tom Brown
Julian Hook
Darrell Thompson
Rickie Foggie
Marion Barber II and III
Lawrence Maroney

Last edited:

Carl Eller - I worked at Penn Avenue Texaco in college pumping gas. Carl would roll in after visiting his supplier and have me fill his tank and just hand me his wallet to pay. Saw him years later at a Gopher game after he cleaned up and he still remembered my name.

We had a 215 pound linebacker back in 1986? who stood up OSU's monster 265lb running back solo. I loved that guy!

Darrell Thompson
Bobby Bell
All the Barbers
Ricky Foggie
Rick Upchurch
Kent Kitzmann
Bobby Weber
Paul Giel
Chip Lohmiller
Mike Hohensee
Lawrence Maroney
Eric Ellestad and Nate Triplett

All for different reasons.

Last edited:

Tyler Johnson just made the list. Setting a great example for his younger siblings and other young people by pursuing his degree before pursuing the NFL

Kent Kitzmann - for the Illinois game where he ran the ball 57 times for 266 yards. yeah, that's right - 57 rushing attempts in one game. A Gopher record that may (will) never be broken.

Michael Carter

So in the Kill days Jerry and TC would have these CBs out there and they would just get roasted, but they stayed in. One was Michael Carter, he'd get run past, run over, he'd miss tackles. SO often that my grandfather would turn to me and ask "Was that... our friend?" I always remembered him, in not a good way.

Later though Michael grew into a great CB. I'll always remember this sequence:

Kent Kitzmann - for the Illinois game where he ran the ball 57 times for 266 yards. yeah, that's right - 57 rushing attempts in one game. A Gopher record that may (will) never be broken.

That’s right. I remember listening to that game with my dad. I just re-edited my list.

Chris Darkins
Tyler Johnson
Lawrence Maroney
Boddy-Calhoun (best live moment of Gopher football for me was him stripping the ball at the goal line vs. Nebraska)
Rhys Lloyd!!
Tyrone Carter

No one has yet said Omar Douglas? Love him.

I grew up on Marion Barber and Laurence Maroney. Those are probably 1a/1b. Then probably Decker and BBC

Chip Lohmiller
Dan Nystrom
Rhys Lloyd

All made some huge kicks at the end of games for the Gophers in some of the biggest wins of the last 30 years.

Tyrone Carter

Part of me wants to say Gary Russell, because the image of him rumbling down the sidelines in the Big House, on 3rd and 10 no less, in the closing minutes of the Gopher win there in 2005 will be etched in my mind forever. I literally remember jumping up and down in my living room as he ran down the sidelines.

Julian Hook
Rick Upchurch
Marion Barber I
Lemanzer Williams

Here are some of mine:

Rickey Foggie
Chip Lohmiller
Lawrence Maroney
Marion Barber III
Briean-Boddy Calhoun
Ron Goetz
Ryan Thelwell
Tutu Atwell

Wow. So many for so many reasons.

Before my time, but personal connections or met and was impressed with them:

Sandy Stephens
Judge Dickson
Bobby Bell
Carl Eller
Dr. John Williams DDS

During my time
Marion Barber II Just "idolized" him growing up. Always wanted number 41. Not because of Dave Osborn (Viking) but because of him.

Tony Dungy
Ken Foxworth
Ray Hitchcock
Brian Williams
Keith Fahnhorst

Lamazer (sp?) Williams-One of the best seasons by a DL i've seen.

MBIII and the Barber family
Laurence Maroney
Thomas Tapeh
ust think if you don't count the QB, that's an all (future) NFL backfield

John Schlect (sp?)
Willie Van Desteeg (sp/)

Eric Decker
Steven Richardson
Tyrone Carter

Adam Weber - Just a great guy!

Special People and Gophers:

Matt Carufel
Ryan Orton

From the 60's
Dick Harren Coach to me
Dean Odegaard -Coach Odegaard to me

I had to cut it off somewhere, but there are many that I didn't list Such as Darrel Thompson

Last edited:

Eslinger
Spaeth
Joyner
Dusbabek
Epping
Weyler

My list is pretty heavy on recent players. Maybe I have a bad memory? Some are due to personal experiences.

Chip Lohmiller (Chip can do it!)
Rickie Foggie (being at Michigan was unforgettable)
Darrell Thompson
Brock Vereen
Cedric Thompson
David Cobb
Steve Richardson
BBC (Nebraska = amazing)

Maxx Williams, Eric Decker, Darrel Thompson, Chris Darkins, Cedric Thompson, AJ Barker.

Ok, I was joking about one of those.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

MBIII, Maroney, Tapeh, Maxx, Eric Murray, BBC, Decker, Tyrone Carter, Eslinger, Spaeth, Cobb, Steve Richardson, Marqueis Gray, BBC, Rhys Lloyd, Ben Hamilton, Ron Johnson, am probably forgetting a couple more.

On the cusp: Tyler Johnson, Carter Coughlin, Rodney Smith

Bobby Bell though it was quite a while before I forgave him for signing with Kansas City.

I don't think I've seen any love for Asad Abdul-Khaliq here. QB throughout my time at the U and his 2003 season was by far the best a Gopher QB has ever had, much better than anything Foggie, Cupito, Weber, Leidner, etc have ever put up.

BTW, Tanner Morgan in 2018 would be the 2nd best rated season in Minnesota history by passer rating, and he's the best rated passer in school history to this point (with more than 5 attempts). AAK's #2, #1 for a full career.

I don't think I've seen any love for Asad Abdul-Khaliq here. QB throughout my time at the U and his 2003 season was by far the best a Gopher QB has ever had, much better than anything Foggie, Cupito, Weber, Leidner, etc have ever put up.

BTW, Tanner Morgan in 2018 would be the 2nd best rated season in Minnesota history by passer rating, and he's the best rated passer in school history to this point (with more than 5 attempts). AAK's #2, #1 for a full career.

Yeah he was a tough cut. I liked Marquel Fleetwood and Cory Sauter as well. Still can't believe Mason's first OC tried to make him an option QB. Talk about forcing a player in to a (wrong) system...

Marion Barber/Laurence Maroney (the two are forever paired in my mind)
Greg Eslinger
Lamanzar Williams
Dyron Russ
Asad Abdul Kahliq - I met him at the state fair with my young son. I was impressed by him and his graciousness to talk with and interact with my son.
Chris Gaitors
Eric Murray
John Leverenz
Sean Lumpkin
Ben Hamilton
Jack Brewer
Tyrone Carter
Ron Johnson
Jermaine Mays
Michael Lehan
Dan Nystrom
Jarod Ellerson

Special mention for Arland Bruce. Wasn't one of my favorite players of all time, but made the most excited catch that resulted in the defeat of #2 Penn State and I'll always remember him because of that.

Top Bottom