Chip: Tyler Johnson returning to Gophers for senior season goes beyond football

There have been NFL Hall of Famer's who didn't have great speed. Chris Carter comes to mind. Run great routes and catch every ball that comes your way.

I've thought about that comparison as well. The difference at this juncture is that Carter was a human suction cup. Johnson needs to improve his concentration a bit, but he has the hops and athletic ability to make up for average speed. Anquan Boldin may be another comparison. I would say Ed McCaffery as well, but McCaffrey was bigger, but not as fast as Johnson. In today's NFL, there seems to be an offensive set for every type of WR and Johnson has more than enough ability to contribute in most of them.

There have been NFL Hall of Famer's who didn't have great speed. Chris Carter comes to mind. Run great routes and catch every ball that comes your way.
For sure, but more speed certainly wouldn't hurt. I was a huge Cris Carter fan. He had amazing hands and also could time his jump and use his body like no one else. Tyler isn't there yet in those aspects.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Gotta love this kid. Really want to see him have a huge senior season.

Nice to see the Strib and Chip with a positive article about a local kid who is being a great role model on and off the field.
Excited for the 2019 season.

I've thought about that comparison as well. The difference at this juncture is that Carter was a human suction cup. Johnson needs to improve his concentration a bit, but he has the hops and athletic ability to make up for average speed. Anquan Boldin may be another comparison. I would say Ed McCaffery as well, but McCaffrey was bigger, but not as fast as Johnson. In today's NFL, there seems to be an offensive set for every type of WR and Johnson has more than enough ability to contribute in most of them.

I remember a Larry Fitzgerald quote a few years ago after he had that long catch and run vs. the Packers in the playoffs. He said something along the lines of he doubts he could break a 5.0 40 at this stage of his career... but game speed is different than track speed.

Top Bottom