Time to fire Pitino!

Legit question: After Rutgers and Penn State, do we have the worst coach in the rest of the B1G?

I'm inclined to say yes. His B1G record is unfathomably bad.

I would still wait to see how the rest of the season goes first. If we get through February and it's obvious we aren't going to the tournament, then I wouldn't be against pulling the plug.

I would still wait to see how the rest of the season goes first. If we get through February and it's obvious we aren't going to the tournament, then I wouldn't be against pulling the plug.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! Im gonna see how things go before jumping off the cliff. I think most of us see this being a roller coaster ride. Were gonna beat some teams were not supposed to and were gonna lose to some teams we probably shouldn't. Gonna be an interesting ride!

This is the right approach. The frustrating thing is that it looks like we are a bubble team at best. Even if you make it and lose first round, probably he goes into next season on just as hot of a seat as this year. 6 years with two appearances and no wins would still be a terrible record. I was really hoping that this team would put together the kind of year that would really cool his seat down and stabilize the program.

I agree! Im gonna see how things go before jumping off the cliff. I think most of us see this being a roller coaster ride. Were gonna beat some teams were not supposed to and were gonna lose to some teams we probably shouldn't. Gonna be an interesting ride!

My issues with the rollercoaster is the lows are really low. I posted in another thread that their 4 losses this year have been by an average of 19 points. We they play poorly, it's really bad. They seem to give up and that's inexcusable.

More Performances like last night that roller coaster will move off the tracks before the end. Too steep of a fall, the roller coaster car wont be able to handle it.

My issues with the rollercoaster is the lows are really low. I posted in another thread that their 4 losses this year have been by an average of 19 points. We they play poorly, it's really bad. They seem to give up and that's inexcusable.

Even on a full season basis, the lows have been lower than the highs have been high. Two historically bad seasons, and the high water mark is getting bumped in the first round. He needs soon to have a season that is as good as year 3 was bad.

What additional talent is going to commit with an interim coach? That would be a bigger disaster from a recruiting standpoint. No recruits would come under that scenario.

You may have missed the part where I said a permanent coach could be named while the interim coach (a Minnesota assistant who would jump at the chance to prove his worth over six weeks to pad his resume) finished out the year.

I kind of hate myself for being so reactionary today.

True. I sometimes don't even get that upset with pitino about this. Its hard for me to figure out why a team who thinks they are an ncaa team just isnt motivated. Why a junior who is an all big ten player is a no show, why murphy is a no show. Dont get me wrong, im with you on this, but when do the upperclassmen play like they've been here before and take charge? No excuse to be 2-14 from the field.

Murphy flat out hasn't done a thing Big Ten play. He has disappeared. Right now, Oturo looks like the better post player. That is sad and also not good for our team. I have no problem with Coffey, I still think he is our best player.

My main issue in all of this is the total lack of effort some games. They had nothing last night, no fire, no fight, no much try in them at all. I'm not sure what this can be attributed to, but it is a huge problem. The Big Ten has always been a physical league predicated on playing tough defense. Some games, this team looks like they want nothing to do with playing it.

I wouldn't fire Pitino during the season either way. I don't think that does any good. If they don't turn this around though and make the dance? Then I'd say you have to weigh your options. It is sad because I am sick of rebuilding and think stabilization of the program is important, not firing coaches all the dang time. But this total lack of effort some games cannot be ignored either.

You may have missed the part where I said a permanent coach could be named while the interim coach (a Minnesota assistant who would jump at the chance to prove his worth over six weeks to pad his resume) finished out the year.

Serious question.....how often does that happen in college basketball?

Murphy flat out hasn't done a thing Big Ten play. He has disappeared. Right now, Oturo looks like the better post player. That is sad and also not good for our team. I have no problem with Coffey, I still think he is our best player.

My main issue in all of this is the total lack of effort some games. They had nothing last night, no fire, no fight, no much try in them at all. I'm not sure what this can be attributed to, but it is a huge problem. The Big Ten has always been a physical league predicated on playing tough defense. Some games, this team looks like they want nothing to do with playing it.

I wouldn't fire Pitino during the season either way. I don't think that does any good. If they don't turn this around though and make the dance? Then I'd say you have to weigh your options. It is sad because I am sick of rebuilding and think stabilization of the program is important, not firing coaches all the dang time. But this total lack of effort some games cannot be ignored either.
PJ would say, "They had no HOW."

How much would you be willing to offer Fred to start working by Friday? I'd give him $4.5/per and pay for his own executive apartment on the river.

Okay, wait a second. I might be as big an anti Pitino person as anyone on here, but even I don't think he should be fired today....and maybe not even after this year. As bad as it was, it still only counts as one game. Winning on the road in basketball in the B1G isn't easy, even against a team most of you thought we should have no problem beating last night. If Pitino and the Gophers can turn it around, which they still have time to do, they could still make the NCAA tournament, and if they do that, I would not get rid of him. Let the year play out, and if they finish the year strong, I would keep him another year, no matter how poor his recruiting class is perceived to be next year.

If a new coach is named prior to mid-March, it potentially saves this upcoming recruiting class. We have three open scholarships. What additional talent is going to commit here with a potentially lame duck coach? If an interim coach is named to finish out the season, and a new coach is named (one who is not presently working, like Hoiberg), that coach can begin recruiting right away. Who knows? Perhaps a certain Rochester star player might be intrigued.

The problem is unless you have a deal with Hoiberg already done, you're going to want to wait and talk to Musselman, etc. So firing now doesn't accomplish much. I know back-channel stuff goes on during the season, like it did when we hired Tubby, but that's about the only advantage.

the only thing that fire a guy in season does is gives you a jump start on the search....if Freddy is truly the guy they want then (and clearly that's who Otis wants) now is the time to do it. If they wait until the end of the season Freddy probably already has a job. so I agree with you firing a guy in January I would not be in favor of. but if Freddy is their guy than I could see why they do it in season.

we were horrible last night. lots of knee jerk talk after that performance. PSU just took Iowa to the final buzzer. Tie game with 2 minutes to go. So Saturday wont be a push over game either. But if there is a must win this early in the season I would say Saturday is the game.

I agree. If they lose Saturday, their NCAA chances are cooked.

If the Gophers hadn't laid an egg last night and had won the last four minutes against Maryland, they would be 15-2 and ranked in the top twenty right now. Under that scenario the thought of letting Pitino go mid-season would be laughable and ridiculed on the national scene. Obviously that didn't happen but do we want the results of a game and a quarter to be the tipping point between a top twenty team and a new administration? I certainly don't.

Let the season play out and I might agree with you.

Almost every coach can play the "we were 6 plays away from doubling our win total!" game.

All you voices of reason and caution will be on the firing bandwagon after we play like crap and lose at home to Penn state.

Cause the team on the floor last night will lose this weekend.

Why he won't get fired at the end of the season (he's not going anywhere during the season):

Very likable.

Yet another re-start.

Inroads with 2020 recruits.

Why he will:

He wasn't a Coyle hire.

Terrible BIG record/one tourney appearance.

Recruiting has stalled big time.

If they don't make the tourney (I never once thought that they would) he should go imo. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is kept around for at least another full season though.

If we miss the tournament and he stays, I guess we'll be treated to another article about Coyle trying to figure out how to solve the plummeting attendance issue with one of his major sports.

+1. But we're running out of bullets. I see basically zero chance of us winning against Michigan at home or @Michigan, @MSU, @Maryland or @Nebraska. That would give us 8 losses. That means we would have to go no worse than 7-2 in the rest of the games, which include Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, @Purdue, @NW, @Rutgers

+1. But we're running out of bullets. I see basically zero chance of us winning against Michigan at home or @Michigan, @MSU, @Maryland or @Nebraska. That would give us 8 losses. That means we would have to go no worse than 7-2 in the rest of the games, which include Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, @Purdue, @NW, @Rutgers

We have no shot at winning at Purdue. Winning there is a generational thing for the Gophers.

Almost every coach can play the "we were 6 plays away from doubling our win total!" game.

I agree and I didn't necessarily want to go down that road. But they lost a coin flip game on the road (Gophers favored by one) and played a lousy five minutes against Maryland in a game that was in large part ruined by bad free throw shooting. I'm not ready to start over again based on that sample size.

If we want to evaluate the six year resume after this year, I'm totally fine with that.

We have no shot at winning at Purdue. Winning there is a generational thing for the Gophers.

So is winning at Wisconsin.....oh wait.

Back away from the ledge Otis.

Yep. Most coaches look like Herb Brooks in the fantasy world where they never had a player get injured and they win every close game or game they were leading at some point.

I'm done. They are getting too painful to watch. Teams switch to zone and they are done. I agree with the posters who say his in-game coaching seems to be absent. Same to be said of his half time adjustments. I trust Coyle to make another good hire when he feels the U can afford it. But we have empty recruiting slots....so earlier seems better than later. PJ got a decent recruiting class in 3 weeks the January he was hired. The right person could do that for basketball.

It would be highly unlikely that Pitino would be fired during the season.

I agree with many posters here that no tourney bid this year and with the amount of time he has had ts time to move on.

That being said I still would be surprised if Coyle makes the move to fire him.

Sigh. I know. You could probably swap it with Nebraska on the list. I just think Nebraska is better than Purdue this year. Bottom line is that our next 3 home games, PSU, Iowa and Illinois, sandwiched around an almost certain loss @Michigan are must wins.

So is winning at Wisconsin.....oh wait.

Back away from the ledge Otis.

Winning at Wisconsin is easier because of the rivalry. Playing Purdue is like any other Power 5 game. Wisconsin and Iowa are special.

"You can throw out the record book for this one!" - Brent Musberger -multiple times every season and during the Bourbon Bowl

Top Bottom