Time to fire Pitino!

Otis

Reaction score
That, was inexcusable. Losing an away game is fine, but being blown out by near 30 points to a previously winless B1G team is crap.

Hated almost everything he did during this game.

But the real reason to do this now is to get ahead of getting a new coach on-board who can keep all those 2020-21 Home grown Minnesota kids to stay home.

Fred Hoiberg had better be the last number dialed on Coyle's phone.

I am way done with this!

Also, time to abandon this Coffey at the point experiment. McBrayer is not performing well to start games, so it should be time to give IW his shot (cue Hamilton music).

Please God let the starting lineup be:

PG: IW
SG: Kalesheur
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

next in: McBrayer, Curry, Stockman, Hurt, Omersa, Stull

For the PSU game please!!

How much would you be willing to offer Fred to start working by Friday? I'd give him $4.5/per and pay for his own executive apartment on the river.

I don't know what else at this point needs to be said. His record speaks for itself. He has no incoming recruits next year to save him. Was a bad hire 6 years ago and continues to be so. 34-62 is 34-62 that should not be acceptable at any power 5 school. He is a likable guy but that only goes so far. I would not be surprised if the plug gets pulled today. The problem is Coyle is making the hire.

I don't know what else at this point needs to be said. His record speaks for itself. He has no incoming recruits next year to save him. Was a bad hire 6 years ago and continues to be so. 34-62 is 34-62 that should not be acceptable at any power 5 school. He is a likable guy but that only goes so far. I would not be surprised if the plug gets pulled today. The problem is Coyle is making the hire.

why is that a problem. coyle has what seems to be a very good track record of hires in the major sports at syracuse and at minnesota.

The problem is Coyle is making the hire.

what? Coyle has hired PJ(football), Whalen(womens bball), Motzko(hockey), & Eggum(wrestling)

im not sure why its a big deal that Coyle is making the hire unless I am missing something.....

The Snake [emoji216] has his list...

I think we should abolish the entire program, that way we don't have to worry about it.

I'm calling Coyle right now to discuss

How much would you be willing to offer Fred to start working by Friday? I'd give him $4.5/per and pay for his own executive apartment on the river.

2.5 . The number you suggest makes him one of the top 7 paid coaches in the country. We are still trying to find the money to pay off the new facilities that are going to bring in so many top shelf players. Are people giving up on this year ? I have led the way on how poorly Pitino has done but not ready to throw this team out.

He is a likable guy but that only goes so far.

I doubt that will happen (particularly since they still have a pretty good record) but I suppose the terms of the buyout would be an influence. In the year Nebraska fired Mike Riley, I believe his buyout amount dropped significantly if they waited until the end of the season to fire him.

I can’t believe we came into last night’s game with the same offensive gameplan as other games - rum ball screens and dribble handoffs against pressure d. Crisp passing and movement (players cutting - especially back door) beats pressure.

The reason why I agree to fire Pitino is that he is similar to tubby in that he doesn’t make in game adjustments and when we get down he gives up on coaching. He sat down on the bench way too much and didn’t have any fire. He looked as down as the players and that is not good when you are the coach. Have some fire and passion and show your team it!!

2.5 . The number you suggest makes him one of the top 7 paid coaches in the country. We are still trying to find the money to pay off the new facilities that are going to bring in so many top shelf players. Are people giving up on this year ? I have led the way on how poorly Pitino has done but not ready to throw this team out.

Maybe they could find a way to bump it up to $3 million for someone of Hoiberg's stature.

I'm not advocating firing Pitino in mid-season, but I'm not sure that firing him is the same thing as "throwing this team out." There are two former head coaches among his assistants.

Ya, Coyle made such a poor football hire. Really wish Norwood Teague would be making the hire, or any past MN AD for that matter, like Maturi or something, right? Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only advocating hard for Fred now because the guy isn't going to last long.

Plus, our 2019 class is a dumpster fire so far and hiring Fred could make a big enough splash to draw some good talent to the barn. Transfers have always gravitated to Fred.

If anyone has watched any Xavier games this season you would have noticed that Ben Johnson is a very active assistant coach. He stands up and actually coaches during the game. I saw very little of this under Pitino and don’t see our assistants now doing this. I do see them talking to players during timeouts but not coaching during gameplay. If something isn’t working I would hope Pitino would take advice from the assistants but it doesn’t appear to be the case.

That, was inexcusable. Losing an away game is fine, but being blown out by near 30 points to a previously winless B1G team is crap.

Hated almost everything he did during this game.

But the real reason to do this now is to get ahead of getting a new coach on-board who can keep all those 2020-21 Home grown Minnesota kids to stay home.

Fred Hoiberg had better be the last number dialed on Coyle's phone.

I am way done with this!

What record did you expect the Gophers to have through their first 17 games?

Who doesn't know what will happen to Pitino at the end of the season? (Team does well he stays. Team does poorly he gets fired)

Perhaps it would be easier to ask which scenario you guys are hoping for.

I love RP as a person. Seems very grounded and humble. But six years is six years. He's been given every opportunity to succeed. I was good with firing Tubby because it looked like he lost his fire, and his upcoming recruiting class was terrible. Well Pitino's recruting is looking pretty terrible, and his team may not make the NCAA's.

I'm giving Pitino to the rest of the year. Even if he makes NCAA's, Coyle has to give a long hard look to see if he truly has a solid future. Handle it the same way Norwood handled Tubby. The future looks bleak, time to go.

You were going along nicely until the last line. Then you blew it.

what did you expect?

Truthfully about where they are at today. I didn't spend the off-season breaking down the rosters of OK State, Texas A&M, Utah, Washington, and Boston College. However, when I saw their schedule before the season started, I would have probably guessed two non-conference losses. Then I probably would have had them losing at WI but beating Illinois. So roughly the same.

I'll never be an advocate for firing a college coach at the end of January. What does that accomplish? Does anybody really think a new coach is going to come in and reel off ten wins in a row and the Gophers suddenly become a sweet sixteen team? This was one game. Awful, no doubt. But one game. If the decision at the end of the year is made to move on, I'll live with it. Three more years of "need to get his players in" and "developing a culture" and "blah blah blah" but if that's the decision, fine. But to make a decision like that today is only done to appease the knee-jerk fandom that often results after a single awful performance. Move on to Saturday.

I've never thought of myself as a reactionary thinker, but I feel like I've just gotten cataracts removed and I'm seeing clearly for the first time in awhile. I don't know how you can spin any part of the Pitino equation - record over six years, fan passion, imminent recruiting - and make a case for status quo.

I'll never be an advocate for firing a college coach at the end of January. What does that accomplish?

If a new coach is named prior to mid-March, it potentially saves this upcoming recruiting class. We have three open scholarships. What additional talent is going to commit here with a potentially lame duck coach? If an interim coach is named to finish out the season, and a new coach is named (one who is not presently working, like Hoiberg), that coach can begin recruiting right away. Who knows? Perhaps a certain Rochester star player might be intrigued.

What record did you expect the Gophers to have through their first 17 games?

Their record is about what I expected it to be, however, winning at Wisconsin was unexpected and getting trashed by OSU/Illinois on the road is just bad mental basketball.

I seriously think our team lacks the mental toughness to perform well in a hostile environment against a non-rivalry team. The coach needs to build these guys up.

If a new coach is named prior to mid-March, it potentially saves this upcoming recruiting class. We have three open scholarships. What additional talent is going to commit here with a potentially lame duck coach? If an interim coach is named to finish out the season, and a new coach is named (one who is not presently working, like Hoiberg), that coach can begin recruiting right away. Who knows? Perhaps a certain Rochester star player might be intrigued.

Dude gets it!

Truthfully about where they are at today. I didn't spend the off-season breaking down the rosters of OK State, Texas A&M, Utah, Washington, and Boston College. However, when I saw their schedule before the season started, I would have probably guessed two non-conference losses. Then I probably would have had them losing at WI but beating Illinois. So roughly the same.

I'll never be an advocate for firing a college coach at the end of January. What does that accomplish? Does anybody really think a new coach is going to come in and reel off ten wins in a row and the Gophers suddenly become a sweet sixteen team? This was one game. Awful, no doubt. But one game. If the decision at the end of the year is made to move on, I'll live with it. Three more years of "need to get his players in" and "developing a culture" and "blah blah blah" but if that's the decision, fine. But to make a decision like that today is only done to appease the knee-jerk fandom that often results after a single awful performance. Move on to Saturday.

the only thing that fire a guy in season does is gives you a jump start on the search....if Freddy is truly the guy they want then (and clearly that's who Otis wants) now is the time to do it. If they wait until the end of the season Freddy probably already has a job. so I agree with you firing a guy in January I would not be in favor of. but if Freddy is their guy than I could see why they do it in season.

we were horrible last night. lots of knee jerk talk after that performance. PSU just took Iowa to the final buzzer. Tie game with 2 minutes to go. So Saturday wont be a push over game either. But if there is a must win this early in the season I would say Saturday is the game.

What additional talent is going to commit with an interim coach? That would be a bigger disaster from a recruiting standpoint. No recruits would come under that scenario. If they decide to move on, it would happen quickly after the season in any case.

I would be very surprised if they haven't at least touched base with Hoiberg's people to see if there is any interest.

Their record is about what I expected it to be, however, winning at Wisconsin was unexpected and getting trashed by OSU/Illinois on the road is just bad mental basketball.

I seriously think our team lacks the mental toughness to perform well in a hostile environment against a non-rivalry team. The coach needs to build these guys up.

If the Gophers hadn't laid an egg last night and had won the last four minutes against Maryland, they would be 15-2 and ranked in the top twenty right now. Under that scenario the thought of letting Pitino go mid-season would be laughable and ridiculed on the national scene. Obviously that didn't happen but do we want the results of a game and a quarter to be the tipping point between a top twenty team and a new administration? I certainly don't.

Let the season play out and I might agree with you.

Why he won't get fired at the end of the season (he's not going anywhere during the season):

Very likable.

Yet another re-start.

Inroads with 2020 recruits.

Why he will:

He wasn't a Coyle hire.

Terrible BIG record/one tourney appearance.

Recruiting has stalled big time.

If they don't make the tourney (I never once thought that they would) he should go imo. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is kept around for at least another full season though.

Top Bottom