Time to fire Pitino!

Why he won't get fired at the end of the season (he's not going anywhere during the season):

Very likable.

Yet another re-start.

Inroads with 2020 recruits.

Why he will:

He wasn't a Coyle hire.

Terrible BIG record/one tourney appearance.

Recruiting has stalled big time.

If they don't make the tourney (I never once thought that they would) he should go imo. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is kept around for at least another full season though.

I fully expected to make the tournament with this year's roster, on paper we look pretty good and have quite a bit of talent.

However, I'll be shocked if Pitino is still here if we don't make the tournament. Next year's team likely won't be as good without Murphy and McBrayer.

I agree and I didn't necessarily want to go down that road. But they lost a coin flip game on the road (Gophers favored by one) and played a lousy five minutes against Maryland in a game that was in large part ruined by bad free throw shooting. I'm not ready to start over again based on that sample size.

If we want to evaluate the six year resume after this year, I'm totally fine with that.

Hate to break it to you, but a good team wins both of those games. That is what is frustrating. You want to call yourself a tourney team, you beat a good not great Maryland team at your place and you find a way to win at a bad Illinois team on the road.
Also, Wisconsin isn't very good this year either. I can easily see them sliding and missing the dance as well. That win may not be as impressive as we thought it was a few weeks ago.

If Jimmy Chitwood agrees to play, I think Coach should stay.

Seriously, things would have to go completely off the rails for Coyle to can him during the season.

Maybe if they had 4-5 games in a row like last night, or if they were getting 3,000 people at home games.

But, other than a total catastrophe, Pitino will be the coach the rest of the season. After that, who knows?

if the team somehow caught fire and went on a run in the B1G Tournament, that could change a lot of feelings.

All you voices of reason and caution will be on the firing bandwagon after we play like crap and lose at home to Penn state.

Cause the team on the floor last night will lose this weekend.

Please don't attend any games...…

WOW! pretty sad

Hate to break it to you, but a good team wins both of those games. That is what is frustrating. You want to call yourself a tourney team, you beat a good not great Maryland team at your place and you find a way to win at a bad Illinois team on the road.
Also, Wisconsin isn't very good this year either. I can easily see them sliding and missing the dance as well. That win may not be as impressive as we thought it was a few weeks ago.

Maryland looks like the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. They will win their fair share of road games this year. The Gophers got beat as a one point favorite. If that is your threshold for firing coaches, you might want to keep a long list because we will be doing it every year.

Again...not arguing about the merits about firing him after this year. I'm reacting to the OP which cited "Time to Fire Pitino". I would like to see how the next 14 games play out.

All you voices of reason and caution will be on the firing bandwagon after we play like crap and lose at home to Penn state.

Cause the team on the floor last night will lose this weekend.

Just because people aren't screaming for him to be fired right now, doesn't mean they think he shouldn't be fired no matter what. There is a lot of season left. No harm in seeing how the next month or so goes. My opinion will continue to be that if we don't make the tournament, we should pull the plug.

Also, time to abandon this Coffey at the point experiment. McBrayer is not performing well to start games, so it should be time to give IW his shot (cue Hamilton music).

Please God let the starting lineup be:

PG: IW
SG: Kalesheur
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

next in: McBrayer, Curry, Stockman, Hurt, Omersa, Stull

For the PSU game please!!

This!!!!!!!!!!

Serious question.....how often does that happen in college basketball?

It's a fair question, and I would have to say hardly ever. You would need a coveted coach who is currently not employed.

With that being said, if Hoiberg is Coyle's guy...

Spot in the NCAA tournament = he stays. Anything short of that, he’s done.

Junior’s program has been embarrassing, on and off the court.

The problem I have is identity...not sure what the identity of this team is or what specifically is being built. Many were fans of the WI win, I was not. Sure a win is a win, but MN played WI style basketball. Long-term, that approach will give you an identity crisis which this team appears to be having. Pitino seems like a great guy, but certainly questions need to be asked.

Also, time to abandon this Coffey at the point experiment. McBrayer is not performing well to start games, so it should be time to give IW his shot (cue Hamilton music).

Please God let the starting lineup be:

PG: IW
SG: Kalesheur
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

next in: McBrayer, Curry, Stockman, Hurt, Omersa, Stull

For the PSU game please!!
Jelly for Gabe starting would be my move. Status quo isn’t working. Let’s see if Jelly (1 of the 2 guys that showed up last night) can provide a jolt. Gabe is a good player. He won’t be fazed by this. At the bare minimum, if we fail to make NCAA, we find out once and for all by giving him more minutes if Jelly can lead a team. If not, then the unknown (Carr) becomes the PG next year.

Season’s not even close to over. More (start him) Jelly, please.

One other thing. Jarvis needs to play only when the game is out of reach. He ain’t ready.

Last edited:

I honestly have no idea what to think. This team is frustratingly inconsistent and the 2019 recruiting issues have been eye opening. However, I still think we have a good roster and could go on a run. I'll probably let the season play out before I start calling for Pitino's head, but my hand is hovering right over the dump button

Jelly for Gabe starting would be my move. Status quo isn’t working. Let’s see if Jelly (1 of the 2 guys that showed up last night) can provide a jolt. Gabe is a good player. He won’t be fazed by this. At the bare minimum, if we fail to make NCAA, we find out once and for all by giving him more minutes if Jelly can lead a team. If not, then the unknown (Carr) becomes the PG next year.

One other thing. Jarvis needs to play only when the game is out of reach. He ain’t ready.

this, all of this.

I honestly have no idea what to think. This team is frustratingly inconsistent and the 2019 recruiting issues have been eye opening. However, I still think we have a good roster and could go on a run. I'll probably let the season play out before I start calling for Pitino's head, but my hand is hovering right over the dump button

Our talent is a hell of a lot better than 95-68 or whatever that score was last night. That type of outcome falls on the coaching staff. Illinois was ridiculously physical, fouled us like crazy (some of which were called), and made all their uncontested shots. I kept waiting for Illinois to remember they were actually Illinois, but our defense sucked too much.

FYI I really like our incoming 2019 recruit but we need more.

The problem I have is identity...not sure what the identity of this team is or what specifically is being built. Many were fans of the WI win, I was not. Sure a win is a win, but MN played WI style basketball. Long-term, that approach will give you an identity crisis which this team appears to be having. Pitino seems like a great guy, but certainly questions need to be asked.

The thing I liked about the Wisconsin game was they played with a lot of intensity, especially on defense. If they would play with that type of energy and hustle all the time, they could win a lot of games in my opinion.

+1. Except I would mind Jarvis going in and committing a couple of hard fouls when a big man is dominating us like the guy last night. Jarvis is raw but seems pretty strong.

The thing I liked about the Wisconsin game was they played with a lot of intensity, especially on defense. If they would play with that type of energy and hustle all the time, they could win a lot of games in my opinion.

Yes. The problem is Pitino's teams have never played defense like that on a consistent basis.

Yes. The problem is Pitino's teams have never played defense like that on a consistent basis.

and in reality the defense looked that much better because the Badgers missed a ton of wide open shots, especially in the first half. Our defense didn't looked nearly as good in the 2nd half. Didn't we give up 40 or more points in the 2nd half?

and in reality the defense looked that much better because the Badgers missed a ton of wide open shots, especially in the first half. Our defense didn't looked nearly as good in the 2nd half. Didn't we give up 40 or more points in the 2nd half?

Yes they did. And yes, I believe we gave up 40 in the second half. Still the defense the first half was good. I've rarely seen them play with that intensity for a whole game much less multiple games in a row.

Spot. We have to play defense the that 1st half every single game.

Maryland looks like the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. They will win their fair share of road games this year. The Gophers got beat as a one point favorite. If that is your threshold for firing coaches, you might want to keep a long list because we will be doing it every year.

Again...not arguing about the merits about firing him after this year. I'm reacting to the OP which cited "Time to Fire Pitino". I would like to see how the next 14 games play out.

And it was a home game.

Do you remember what Clem's teams did in the barn? They won. They won alot. It didn't matter if you were ranked in the top ten in the nation or a perennial cupcake, teams just didn't come in and win at the barn.
This shouldn't happen. Maryland isn't great. Are they good, yes. Great, no. Be a tourney team and win on your home court.

I'm not saying fire over this, no way. I am saying this is a borderline team if they can't win in the barn and get blown out of the water now twice on the road against one good and one terrible team. They beat Wisconsin and I am saying they probably are not as good as people thought they were pre season.

Ya, I'd start IW and bring Gabe off the bench.
The game was out of reach and Jarvis played. :)

Something people forget about next year...we have two guys sitting out to go along with our current lone recruit. We seem to add someone every spring.

Illinois was a bad matchup and we walked into the perfect storm...some nights even Wooden couldn't turn the tidal wave of opponent's scoring off.

Penn State guy is not a terrible coach. They lose close. But, winning that one should happen because it's home and we just got humbled bad. If not, then I'll be worried.

But, winning that one should happen because it's home and we just got humbled bad. If not, then I'll be worried.

That’s how I feel. Follow it up with a loss to Penn State, that’s when I’ll go on red alert. If you’re any good (NCAA caliber) you don’t lose back to back to Illinois and Penn State. It’s that simple.

Inconsistency on D, horrible adjustments to zone D and in 6 years not recruiting consistent pure shooters. He seems to recruit " athletes " not all of which are good at basketball. He needs to be on notice, no tourney , no job here.

I love RP as a person. Seems very grounded and humble. But six years is six years. He's been given every opportunity to succeed. I was good with firing Tubby because it looked like he lost his fire, and his upcoming recruiting class was terrible. Well Pitino's recruting is looking pretty terrible, and his team may not make the NCAA's.

I'm giving Pitino to the rest of the year. Even if he makes NCAA's, Coyle has to give a long hard look to see if he truly has a solid future. Handle it the same way Norwood handled Tubby. The future looks bleak, time to go.

This sounds about right.

As bad as the game was last night this is crazy to call for his firing. College sports has many ups and downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I thought I'd seen this thread before. No, it was the FIRE FLECK NOW thread.

Top Bottom