How would you grade the job Pitino did in Illinois game?

How would you grade the job Pitino did in Illinois game?

• D

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • D-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 48 96.0%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score
Late in first half when we had chance to cut it to 10 or so Pitino had Stull, Stockman and Hurt in game and Illinois turned it to a 20+ lead.

I vote F!

I'm done with him. Time to move on again.

Not many choices.....we brought us back from down 37 to down 27....we just needed more time.

I'm done with him. Time to move on again.

I am too. I love RP, seems like a really good guy. But man, you can't lose a game like this that badly.

Add in a poor 2019 class, and its not looking good.

My only concern is he seems to have a better chance with 2020 guys. I'd hate to lose that possibility

I give him an A for keeping his cool. Rudrud and Conroy would have played 30 minutes apiece if I were coach.

I am too. I love RP, seems like a really good guy. But man, you can't lose a game like this that badly.

Add in a poor 2019 class, and its not looking good.

My only concern is he seems to have a better chance with 2020 guys. I'd hate to lose that possibility

If he can't get any quality players for the 2019 class, how is going to get anyone good in 2020?

If he can't get any quality players for the 2019 class, how is going to get anyone good in 2020?

They haven't said they aren't coming here yet. Minnesota has had a lot of good high school players in the time Pitino has been head coach, and he hasn't gotten many of them to play at the U. Oturu and Coffey is it. All you have to do is get the top players in Minnesota (we are the only D1 team in the state) and you should be a top 10-15 team in the country.

They haven't said they aren't coming here yet. Minnesota has had a lot of good high school players in the time Pitino has been head coach, and he hasn't gotten many of them to play at the U. Oturu and Coffey is it. All you have to do is get the top players in Minnesota (we are the only D1 team in the state) and you should be a top 10-15 team in the country.

You make the right hire and you have just as good a chance. Like others, I’m bummed that the writing is seemingly on the way for RP but too many games like this over the years. Probably got the job well before he was ready in fairness.

Late in first half when we had chance to cut it to 10 or so Pitino had Stull, Stockman and Hurt in game and Illinois turned it to a 20+ lead.

I vote F!
At that very moment, I texted STULL HURT MATZ??? NOW?

Do you realize how many states produce better talent than Minnesota, a lot better matter of fact. The only reason it seems to make sense is it is the only D1 school as you said but who are all these high impact guys that go elsewhere ! There are not that many. They grow up traveling, going to other places, seeing other teams, seeing other places. They pick dynamic winning coaches.

Do you realize how many states produce better talent than Minnesota, a lot better matter of fact. The only reason it seems to make sense is it is the only D1 school as you said but who are all these high impact guys that go elsewhere ! There are not that many. They grow up traveling, going to other places, seeing other teams, seeing other places. They pick dynamic winning coaches.

Jones
Jones
Macura
Trent
Matthew Hurt
Reuvers
Reid Travis
Rashad Vaughn
Jericho Sims

Those are just off the top of my head...I'm sure I'm missing more than a few.

Jones
Jones
Macura
Trent
Matthew Hurt
Reuvers
Reid Travis
Rashad Vaughn
Jericho Sims

The Jones boys are the only high impact winners and they were never going anywhere but Duke. Travis was getting Stanford and could not help them win. Staff thought Macura was not good enough. Sims would not start here right now. Keeping kids home is not realistic, Better players than what you listed left their home states as well. Better programs find their players from all over.

Jones
Jones
Macura
Trent
Matthew Hurt
Reuvers
Reid Travis
Rashad Vaughn
Jericho Sims

McKinley Wright
Davison
Reuvers
Thompson
Hurt, Matthew - no way he comes here after that performance

Not many choices.....we brought us back from down 37 to down 27....we just needed more time.

Yeah, we'll by that time Illinois was playing reserves, INCLUDING the former student manager... No kidding.

The Jones boys are the only high impact winners and they were never going anywhere but Duke. Travis was getting Stanford and could not help them win. Staff thought Macura was not good enough. Sims would not start here right now. Keeping kids home is not realistic, Better players than what you listed left their home states as well. Better programs find their players from all over.

I can agree with what you say about getting good players from everywhere, but had Pitino been able to keep Jones, Jones, Travis and Macura, that team would have been sweet 16 or better all the way.

Also, on the AAU scene, Minnesota does pretty well I'd say.

I can agree with what you say about getting good players from everywhere, but had Pitino been able to keep Jones, Jones, Travis and Macura, that team would have been sweet 16 or better all the way.

Also, on the AAU scene, Minnesota does pretty well I'd say.

Think Minnesota has done just fine in producing talent but the Jones kids were never going to the U. They wanted Duke and K. THE OTHERS I AM WAITING FOR THAT CONFERENCE PLAYER OF THE YEAR type, 1 st team all conference, 3rd team all american types. Other states produce far more talent, pull the numbers over any 20 year period and locals are seldom the core of the state team. Look at the rosters of the top 10 or top 20 programs. You build it by finding players from all over that can play well, play defense, take good shoots. It is not easy because you have to find that rare coach who builds it and then wins big year after year and by year 5 the best ones have won the conference and or made a deep tournament run and more importantly installed a culture and a brand that defines how you play, day after day year after year. What exactly are we known for in year 6 , what do we do well day after day.

Jones
Jones
Macura
Trent
Matthew Hurt
Reuvers
Reid Travis
Rashad Vaughn
Jericho Sims

half of your list was from the first 2 years he coached here.....he never stood a chance to recruit those. And Hurt hasn't even decided yet. poor examples.

Jarvis Johnson was a great recruit!

Mike Hurt was a good get at the time -- didn't pan out.

MN will never get those kids the Blue Bloods are after, accept on very rare occasion.

half of your list was from the first 2 years he coached here.....he never stood a chance to recruit those. And Hurt hasn't even decided yet. poor examples.

Jarvis Johnson was a great recruit!

Mike Hurt was a good get at the time -- didn't pan out.

MN will never get those kids the Blue Bloods are after, accept on very rare occasion.

Jones, Macura, Travis and Vaughn were juniors when Pitino was hired and Minnesota had a relationship with all those guys. The correct coach coming in would have had a decent shot at all of them. I remember listening to the radio while Travis committed to Stanford and there were a lot of people who thought he would be coming to the Gophers. If he didn't botch the Macura recruitment, he certainly didn't help it. Tubby Smith knew the importance of keeping our best players at home, and was able to get Royce White, Rodney Williams and Trevor Mbakwe early in his stay with the Gophers. i'm not saying you might not be able to keep all the best players in the state, but having the attitude that Minnesota will never get the kids to stay who the Blue Bloods are after just shows how bad a spot the program is in. I can't imagine anyone saying that 25 years ago.

Jones, Macura, Travis and Vaughn were juniors when Pitino was hired and Minnesota had a relationship with all those guys. The correct coach coming in would have had a decent shot at all of them. I remember listening to the radio while Travis committed to Stanford and there were a lot of people who thought he would be coming to the Gophers. If he didn't botch the Macura recruitment, he certainly didn't help it. Tubby Smith knew the importance of keeping our best players at home, and was able to get Royce White, Rodney Williams and Trevor Mbakwe early in his stay with the Gophers. i'm not saying you might not be able to keep all the best players in the state, but having the attitude that Minnesota will never get the kids to stay who the Blue Bloods are after just shows how bad a spot the program is in. I can't imagine anyone saying that 25 years ago.

Kids in this generation and for a pretty long time now are not growing up with the Gophers as their dream school, especially with a lack of success, better brands and coaching elsewhere, better schools, better climate. Given the chance to play for a legend, be in a final 4, be on ESPN. All kinds of reasons. In case of some of those elite programs it is the biggest team not in town but in the whole state. That will never be the case here. Your right, the right coach would keep more home but the right coach would get better players from all over and do a far better job coaching what he does get.

Top Bottom