Gophers by 1?

Nomellini

Reaction score
That was the line this morning for tonight's game at Illinois, which I found surprising. The Wisconsin win and the dominating win vs. Rutgers don't seem to count for much against a team that is winless in the conference. I would think that the loss to a surging Maryland team wouldn't be that damaging in view of the fact that the Gophers led most of the game. Does Minnesota have an injury that I don't know about?

I agree. Was very surprised to see that line. I was expecting 7-8.

We were favored by 3 at home to Maryland which I felt was appropriate but only by 1 at Illinois? That makes no sense.

I thought we'd be pretty heavy favorites too. This is one we should runaway with.

On what planet would the Gophers ever be heavy favorites on the road? Illinois may be 0-5, but they're playing teams tough. They went down to the wire with Michigan and Northwestern. This game will be anything but easy, and Illinois is a tough place to play, as is pretty much every road venue in the Big Ten.

I just hope they play well, avoid foul trouble and shoot the ball with confidence.

On what planet would the Gophers ever be heavy favorites on the road? Illinois may be 0-5, but they're playing teams tough. They went down to the wire with Michigan and Northwestern. This game will be anything but easy, and Illinois is a tough place to play, as is pretty much every road venue in the Big Ten.

I just hope they play well, avoid foul trouble and shoot the ball with confidence.

It is pretty funny. Say "the Gophers will be heavy favorites," and when they inevitably aren't, and either win a close game or lose, everyone is up in arms because the Gophers "should've won big," based on their own made-up criteria and not from looking through the perspective of historic or current performance.

Our wins seem to have hurt others more than they've helped us.

If we're all so sure of the win how much money you got on tonights game?

I'm not betting on a middle of the road Big Ten team playing an away game on short rest.

I took the line last night and was shocked as well at how close it was. I know the post is about the line but c'mon guys lets have some faith in this squad. We are a tourney team and have a multiple guys(Coffey, Murph, McBrayer, Gabe) that could win us the game any given night.

Regardless CBB lines are always closer than you think. 14-3 Iowa is +2 on the road against 7-10 PSU.

If we're all so sure of the win how much money you got on tonights game?

I'm not betting on a middle of the road Big Ten team playing an away game on short rest.

Short rest? You mean "normal conference schedule rest"?

Days off between conference games for the Gophers: 2, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 4, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 3, 4, 2. Breakdown: Nine 2 day breaks, Five 3 day breaks, four 4 day breaks.

Not to mention a lot of those involve traveling, even many of the 2 days off have travel involved. So no, 3 days isn't short rest, its actually longer than most.

I took the line last night and was shocked as well at how close it was. I know the post is about the line but c'mon guys lets have some faith in this squad. We are a tourney team and have a multiple guys(Coffey, Murph, McBrayer, Gabe) that could win us the game any given night.

Regardless CBB lines are always closer than you think. 14-3 Iowa is +2 on the road against 7-10 PSU.

Michigan was -9 @ Illinois (won by 10), so I agree college lines are weird. Vegas is still in business, must not be horrible at it.

Short rest? You mean "normal conference schedule rest"?

Days off between conference games for the Gophers: 2, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 4, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 3, 4, 2. Breakdown: Nine 2 day breaks, Five 3 day breaks, four 4 day breaks.

Not to mention a lot of those involve traveling, even many of the 2 days off have travel involved. So no, 3 days isn't short rest, its actually longer than most.

You know, I don't know where I got that.

I remembered seeing a tweet that Pitino responded to when someone told him to pack his bags tomorrow if they lose today and he responded saying I already am planning on it or something to that matter because they had to travel the next day. That's definately not this situation. For some reason I had them playing 2 days ago.

Thanks for the heads up. Just put a bet on them. The line is now 1.5 where I placed it, still seems pretty low.

The people that bet know that if it looks too easy it never is! The number at gophers -1.5 has an Illini win written all over it. I hope I'm wrong.

It is pretty funny. Say "the Gophers will be heavy favorites," and when they inevitably aren't, and either win a close game or lose, everyone is up in arms because the Gophers "should've won big," based on their own made-up criteria and not from looking through the perspective of historic or current performance.

Going to steal the money on 5 large giving 1. Illinois is terrible. They play hard but turn it over all the time and take poor shots. One of the worst power 5 offenses in the country and mediocre defense.

Going to steal the money on 5 large giving 1. Illinois is terrible. They play hard but turn it over all the time and take poor shots. One of the worst power 5 offenses in the country and mediocre defense.

What do you think of the over/under 150? I'm thinking under is a solid bet here. I see a game in the 60's

The people that bet know that if it looks too easy it never is! The number at gophers -1.5 has an Illini win written all over it. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree with this guy. Put your money on the Illinois moneyline and hedge your happiness. I know we won last time in Illinois but we typically shoot horrible there, and Illinois usually shoots great from 3 against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think of the over/under 150? I'm thinking under is a solid bet here. I see a game in the 60's

Supposedly we're suppose to get a lot of FT attempts... they can really kill that over/under if we are making a good percentage of them...

Iowa struggling at lowly Penn St. right now. Tonight's game in Champaign will be a battle. The line is right where it should be. No gimmes in this league.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the Gophers match up pretty well with Illinois, especially in the frontcourt, but we'll see what happens.

These lines aren’t set by a bunch of guys with cigars in a room giving cliches.

They go on a system similar to KenPom/Sagarin which had it close to -1 Gophs. It may be tweaked slightly from there.

It appears they were wrong with this one in the opposite direction to our beliefs.

LOL

One of the best threads every.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom