***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Throw this one away fellas. We will win 3 of the next 4 and be 6-4. Then pull a few upsets. This is a team that will win games they should lose and lose games they should win. Tonight the Gophers could not buy a shot and Illinois could not miss. Murphy, Coffey, McBrayer and Kalsheuer all had bad nights. They didn't play hard on defense, they didn't block out and hit the boards, they turned the ball over, got a flagrant foul....everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Maybe you are right, but almost the exact comments were made after the OSU game. "You are gonna have a game where nothing goes right for you and everything goes right for them" etc.

Perhaps part of the reason we have made 1 tournament appearance under Pitino and have often been towards the bottom of the Big 10 is because we seem to have a strange amount of games where everything goes right for our opponent and nothing goes right for us?

The crown jewel of RP resume is the loss to Middle Tennessee State in the round of 64, which was a lot like this one. Uninspired, clueless play.

I gave up on this one when we pulled within a reasonable number late in the first half and then they pissed it way i the last couple of minutes with that stellar lineup including Max, Stull and M. Hurt The only one that should ever see the court again is the big skinny transfer.

Hurt sucks and the other guy is slow, out of shape and over matched. He is not exactly the second coming of Akeem Springs. How can a guy that looks and plays like Stull get this opportunity, and be so underwhelming?

Speaking of Springs, if not for him, I doubt Pitino would have even made it to that one dismal loss to a #12 seed. That MTSU game made me much more angry than the crap show tonight.

Oh my gosh. You guys are right.... by all means let's fire Pitino and start over. I'd love to wait another 3 to 5 years for another coach to establish himself. That sounds like fun!!

I'm sorry for doubting your great knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Throw this one away fellas. We will win 3 of the next 4 and be 6-4. Then pull a few upsets. This is a team that will win games they should lose and lose games they should win. Tonight the Gophers could not buy a shot and Illinois could not miss. Murphy, Coffey, McBrayer and Kalsheuer all had bad nights. They didn't play hard on defense, they didn't block out and hit the boards, they turned the ball over, got a flagrant foul....everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Plenty of excuses in this post.

This was a lot more than just one of those nights.

Team didn’t compete. Which is more telling than everything went their way and nothing went our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my gosh. You guys are right.... by all means let's fire Pitino and start over. I'd love to wait another 3 to 5 years for another coach to establish himself. That sounds like fun!!

It’s been 5+ years for Pitino. He hasn’t established anything either. How long should that wait be?

Jokes here are a medium because they are neither rare nor well done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It may not be medium, rare or well done but I can tell you one thing. Trolling trolls is fun!

About as fun as 95-68 to a 5-12 team.

Why do our teams keep getting our asses kicked by very mediocre Illinois teams?

Pitino has the worst record of any non-interim Gopher coach in my lifetime. If you'd like to go back to the 70's or earlier to find someone who has performed worse at Minnesota, please be my guest and I am not sure you will find someone. Tubby came to Minnesota and had an absolutely dead program back in the NCAA tournament in his second year on the job. The arrow is down on the Pitino era, not up. He loses Murphy and McBrayer after this season and currently has the 14th ranked B1G recruiting class.

About as fun as 95-68 to a 5-12 team.

HI Tim, If they collapse for the rest of the year you will get your wish, a new coach and everyone will rejoice in 4 years... or we will have the same discussion in 4 years about the next potential coach.

It may not be medium, rare or well done but I can tell you one thing. Trolling trolls is fun!
There are trolls here? Where? Are you one?

If we find one does RP get fired?

Plenty of excuses in this post.

This was a lot more than just one of those nights.

Team didn’t compete. Which is more telling than everything went their way and nothing went our way.

They didn't compete. You are correct. Second time this has happened. I get your message- it's the coach. Maybe so.

The season will tell the story. I think they are a .500 plus or minus, Big Ten team that played lousy against a young talented team that played out of their minds at home. I expected a loss tonight. It's just the way the game set up. Illinois has talent, plays hard and was way overdue to have things go well on a given night. Once things got going...well, it might turn out well for us that we got the crap beaten out of us. Players and coaches both will need to be a lot better going forward and they know it.

I generally agree with your sarcasm. The Gophers are currently in 6th place in the Big Ten. The problem is that some people (the same ones that assumed the Gophers would easily defeat Illinois) are assuming the Gophers don't stand much of a chance in their last 10 games. On the positive side, if the Gophers win those games, then they will move up the standings that much more quickly, as those are the teams they will be competing against for Big Ten supremacy.

First of all, it shouldn't take 3 to 5 years to establish yourself as a basketball coach. Secondly, you want to watch this for another 3 to 5 years instead? I think the Gophers should have to make the tournament for Pitino to keep his job. I don't think we make the NCAA, and I don't think he will be fired this offseason. Over half of the conference makes the tournament. In three of the last 4 years we have finished in the bottom 4 in the B1G. He has not been able to recruit most of our states top players. How is this acceptable?

Pitino has the worst record of any non-interim Gopher coach in my lifetime. If you'd like to go back to the 70's or earlier to find someone who has performed worse at Minnesota, please be my guest and I am not sure you will find someone. Tubby came to Minnesota and had an absolutely dead program back in the NCAA tournament in his second year on the job. The arrow is down on the Pitino era, not up. He loses Murphy and McBrayer after this season and currently has the 14th ranked B1G recruiting class.

I thought Wisconsin's class was rated worse....but your point is our class is bad, and I agree. We have had a lot of really good high school basketball players leave the state since Pitino has been our coach. With a good coach, I think we would have gotten a lot of them.

Gopher Men 4-10 remainder of schedule.

Tubby's winning percentage his last three years here was 37% in conference. Pitino is 35%. Wow, big difference. Pitino was hired because this program could not attract a proven coach, we missed on about ten coaches. No coach has survived this program unscathed in 50 years. The idea with Pitino was to grow the program with him.

He does have a pretty solid core returning next year, if he returns with them. I for one, hope he does. It appears that there are a lot of folks here that cannot wait for him to lose and get fired. I'm sure John Wooden is our next coach, so everything should be fine.

If the players stick around the next John Wooden would get a top 6 of:

Oturu
Curry
Coffey
Kalsheuer
Carr
Washington

Tubby left this core behind for Pitino:

Hollins
Hollins
Walker
Ahanmisi
Ellenson
Osieniks
Buggs

Last edited:

There are trolls here? Where? Are you one?

If we find one does RP get fired?

Is the troll who trolls trolls the one?
or is it the one who started this run?
Its clear you'd be silent if we had won
We listen to you since the game was undone
Next game you'll be gone and we'll be back to our fun.

What fun it is to put Reusse fans in a pun!

Tubby's winning percentage his last three years here was 37% in conference. Pitino is 35%. Wow, big difference. Pitino was hired because this program could not attract a proven coach, we missed on about ten coaches. No coach has survived this program unscathed in 50 years. The idea with Pitino was to grow the program with him.

He does have a pretty solid core returning next year, if he returns with them. I for one, hope he does. It appears that there are a lot of folks here that cannot wait for him to lose and get fired. I'm sure John Wooden is our next coach, so everything should be fine.

Tubby is gone, and not coming back, but Tubby's team is better than this group. A lot of people wanted Tubby gone because he had such a terrible recruiting class coming in.....how is our class coming in next year? Tubby had a solid core coming back the next year also. When Tubby became our coach, he needed to get Royce White and Rodney Williams, the best players from Minnesota in a long time, or it was going to be a long tenure for him, and he got both of them. Pitino has gotten Coffey and Oturu, and pretty much lost everyone else in state. The high school basketball has been way better the last six years also.

This was one game, I get it. But if Pitino doesn't make the NCAA Tournament, I don't see how you can expect it to get any better. I'm not even calling for his head, but if Richard Pitino's dad wasn't Rick Pitino, no one would be standing up for him. Hopefully the Gophers turn it around and win 7 of their next 9 games and the Gophers glide into the NCAA Tournament, but up to this point, Pitino hasn't done anything to ensure his job for next season.

I know today was awful but everyone needs to relax and let the season play out and then we can go from there.

Is the troll who trolls trolls the one?
or is it the one who started this run?
Its clear you'd be silent if we had won
We listen to you since the game was undone
Next game you'll be gone and we'll be back to our fun.

What fun it is to put Reusse fans in a pun!
How neat and tidy, you must have drank your Ovaltime, unlike the team tonight.

Oturu
Curry
Coffey
Kalsheuer
Carr
Washington

Hollins
Hollins
Walker
Ahanmisi
Ellenson
Osieniks
Buggs

Seems pretty close to me...I'd rather have Hollins and Hollins....what's your point....we fired Tubby and I'm sure you wanted Tubby gone just like everyone else on this board. Now you want Pitino to stay even though he has been worse than Tubby? Doesn't make sense logically. He's been almost as good as the last coach we fired?

Oturu
Curry
Coffey
Kalsheuer
Carr
Washington

Hollins
Hollins
Walker
Ahanmisi
Ellenson
Osieniks
Buggs

I don't think the gap between those two is as big as you think. I'd take either Hollins over anyone on the current team. Also, like Tubby, the current recruiting is a concern. 4 open scholarships and only one filled as of now. And that one is no superstar.

I agree....everyone needs to relax. We just started the comeback too late tonight. We were really starting to cut into the lead at the end of the game. If the game would have been 8 minutes longer, we might have won.

I disagree. I don't think the Gophers could have scored 27 points in 8 minutes tonight if they played "make it-take it" only after their own baskets.

Top Bottom