Illini hope to get backcourt going Wednesday against Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The State Journal Register:

The young University of Illinois backcourt has been upfront and honest about its recent play.

Sophomore Trent Frazier has averaged just under 10 points over his last four games — nothing like what he showed during the second half of his breakout freshman season.

Frazier has shot just 29 percent from 3-point land over the recent stretch to go along with 15 turnovers.

“I’m in my own head right now; I’m letting those missed shots get to me,” Frazier said. “I can’t let that happen. I have to get back to me being super aggressive and trying to get back and get that rhythm and flow going.”

Ayo Dosunmu has contrastingly had his best stretch of basketball over the last four games. The freshman has averaged just over 20 points during that period and has hauled in five or more rebounds in three of those games.

Dosunmu’s recent success came after one of his worst performances of the season against Missouri, scoring just two points with four turnovers.

“I knew coming in it was going to be an adjustment from playing high school basketball,” Dosunmu said. “I told myself that once I get it, I’m going to skyrocket off, so I’m starting to get better and better and more comfortable with the college game.”

Some experts have Dosunmu going in the late first round of next year’s NBA Draft, but Dosunmu said he is focusing on how he can help the Illini.

“I’d be hard-challenged to find any player in the country in any aspect of the game that is playing better than (Dosunmu),” Illinois head coach Brad Underwood said. “You can look number-wise, but starting from ground zero as a freshman and looking at where he is now, he has so much confidence on both ends of the court.”

https://www.sj-r.com/sports/20190115/illini-hope-to-get-backcourt-going-wednesday-against-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom