STrib: Gophers' Dupree McBrayer plays inspired basketball after his mother's death

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

In eight of the nine games after Boston College, McBrayer scored in double figures — the one exception being an emotional victory vs. Nebraska two days after his mother died. As much as he’s gone through in the past month, McBrayer has still been the most consistent all-around player for the Gophers (13-3, 3-2 Big Ten), who will lean on his leadership again Wednesday at Illinois (4-12, 0-5).

“He’s quietly playing great ever since his mother’s funeral,” Pitino said. “What he went through there was obviously very tough. Since then, he’s playing at a higher level and with a greater purpose than we all probably know.”

Since McFarlane’s death on Dec. 3, the Gophers have worn patches on their jerseys to honor her. McBrayer returned to the team after missing only one game, motivated to make his mother proud. In his first game back after her funeral, a Dec. 21 victory against North Carolina A&T, McBrayer acknowledged there were “a lot of emotions running through my head.”

“I know she’s looking down on me,” he said. “She would want me to keep going, keep fighting. That’s all I can do for her.”

Not only is McBrayer giving the Gophers a much-needed outside shooting threat, but he’s also defending and distributing.

In Saturday’s 88-70 victory against Rutgers, McBrayer nailed three of the U’s six three-pointers in the first half to keep the Scarlet Knights from focusing on leading scorer Amir Coffey.

As much as McBrayer looked for his own shot, he also made sure the ball moved and kept feeding Coffey when he was heating up in the second half with 21 of his game-high 29 points. McBrayer finished with his first career double-double: 15 points and a career-best 10 assists, with only one turnover.

“When we get out and run, everybody has fun, everybody gets their moments,” McBrayer said. “Amir loves to run on the break, so you just get it to him and he finishes.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...asketball-after-his-mother-s-death/504408332/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom