OJ Smith to forgo senior season, enter NFL Draft

Didn't really see that coming. Is he likely to get picked? Haven't heard he is, but he had enough talent for Bama to want him so maybe he will test well. Good luck!

Why?

Do you think he improves his stock a ton?
He graduated college.

Yeah, either way he probably ends up UDFA and grinds to get on a roster. He's presumably leaving healthy and with his degree so he's in position to have his best chance at it.

I doubt he gets drafted. Wasn't he considering not playing next year anyway because of injuries? Maybe this is more "Declare for the draft because why not." Just guessing.

Yeah, either way he probably ends up UDFA and grinds to get on a roster. He's presumably leaving healthy and with his degree so he's in position to have his best chance at it.

In his spot I suppose you make the calculation on whether you get paid playing football or whether it might make sense to stick around and get some free graduate level courses.

I doubt he gets drafted. Wasn't he considering not playing next year anyway because of injuries? Maybe this is more "Declare for the draft because why not." Just guessing.

Some people here were speculating that he might not play because of injuries. I've never heard that he was considering it.

Assuming he has his degree, there is really no point in returning for a 6th season. He isn't going to be dramatically better in a year, and with his history of injuries, this is probably his best shot at making an NFL roster. Best of luck to OJ - he was the best DT we've had since Hageman and played a large part in our D shutting down Wisky.

Some people here were speculating that he might not play because of injuries. I've never heard that he was considering it.

I think the speculation was that anytime a player misses half a season due to concussions, there is a fair chance their football career may be over.

IMO if he wants to get drafted he is making a mistake and should play another year. If he wants to quit football anyway because of injuries or another reason, he isn't going to risk losing anything by declaring for the NFL draft. Just a guess but I believe Its the latter.

Whispers from Burns that his concussions were severe enough this season that he may not suit up again. If he's medically cleared to play, it makes no sense to return. Declare now, don't risk another concussion for free.

Why?

Do you think he improves his stock a ton?
He graduated college.

If he played a full season without getting hurt, then yes, that would significantly improve his stock.

Right now he has only started 6 career games and only played against 3 P5 opponents in his entire career. He has hardly any film.

He would at least have a fighting chance of getting drafted or at least be a priority FA by staying. By declaring now he may not even get signed initially and will have to wow an NFL team at a rookie minicamp tryout.

Last edited:

Assuming he has his degree, there is really no point in returning for a 6th season. He isn't going to be dramatically better in a year, and with his history of injuries, this is probably his best shot at making an NFL roster. Best of luck to OJ - he was the best DT we've had since Hageman and played a large part in our D shutting down Wisky.

Played the best game of his college career, in his last game at Wisconsin. Get it, while the gettin's good.

Let's all hope he makes it to the NFL. It's quite the selling point for Fleck to future grad transfers if he does.

If he played a full season without getting hurt, then yes, that would significantly improve his stock.

Right now he has only started 6 career games and only played against 3 P5 opponents in his entire career. He has hardly any film.

If returns to the U and gets another concussion, his football career is likely over. If he gets signed by a NFL team and gets a concussion, he can at least pocket a few years worth of money. I won't ever fault someone for not wanting to spend 6 years in college.

Played the best game of his college career, in his last game at Wisconsin. Get it, while the gettin's good.

This.

Cons: 6 games played. Limited film. Concussions.

Pros: in his last game, he dominated the best OL in the B1G for almost the whole game. Biadiaz (sp?) And their OG weren't taken out but OJ by himself which is why Huff and Barber had their way.

If we used the schollie for 2 years for OJ just to beat WI this year at Camp Randall, it was worth it!

Best wishes to the OJ!

If returns to the U and gets another concussion, his football career is likely over. If he gets signed by a NFL team and gets a concussion, he can at least pocket a few years worth of money. I won't ever fault someone for not wanting to spend 6 years in college.

I understand but think he has a much better chance of sticking if he stays and has a good, full year. He may not even get signed and if he did, he would have almost zero guaranteed money.

I think the speculation was that anytime a player misses half a season due to concussions, there is a fair chance their football career may be over.

Wild, wild guess here: wonder if he was thinking "it's now or never" for the league, in that the next concussion he gets, it's over for his career?

I remember hearing Fleck say, in reference to Seniors sitting out the bowl game "I want to be known as the kind of program that supports players trying to make it to the NFL". I'd put OJ is roughly that same category. Let's become a destination for guys headed to the league & known for supporting them when they decide to try.

Whispers from Burns that his concussions were severe enough this season that he may not suit up again. If he's medically cleared to play, it makes no sense to return. Declare now, don't risk another concussion for free.

Spot on, my guess is this is the thinking here.

Selfishly would've loved to have OJ back for 2019, but wish him the best of luck.

Wild, wild guess here: wonder if he was thinking "it's now or never" for the league, in that the next concussion he gets, it's over for his career?

Most likely. Plus he'd be 24 y/o if he waited for next year's draft. Kinda old for a rookie.

If he ends up an UDFA, I could definitely see the Vikings bringing him in. Definitely could find a way on to the practice squad.

College fans disagree but it is almost always financially better to leave. it is even more dramatic in basketball where far more players make a living playing professionally. Use Jordan Murphy as an example. Is he any closer to the NBA now than he was as a sophomore? No, but he has lost 2 years of making 200K in Europe that he won't get back. Playing 4 years in college will not extend his career as a professional basketball player although there may be an argument it gets a better starting salary in Europe.

That said, maybe the education is worth it to him (although he could have done that and played overseas) or the quality of life/ life satisfaction is better as a 4 year player- but the money certainly isn't.

Last edited:

College fans disagree but it is almost always financially better to leave. it is even more dramatic in basketball where far more players make a living playing professionally. Use Jordan Murphy as an example. Is he any closer to the NBA now than he was as a sophomore? No, but he has lost 2 years of making 200K in Europe that he won't get back. Playing 4 years in college will not extend his career as a professional basketball player although there may be an argument it gets a better starting salary in Europe.

That said, maybe the education is worth it to him (although he could have done that and played overseas) or the quality of life/ life satisfaction is better as a 4 year player- but the money certainly isn't.

Yeah when you put it like that ... with basketball, you almost can make the case that top talent should just go pro immediately (once 18). Europe/overseas, D-league, whatever. There seems to be little gained in a season at a top university, other than whatever bagmen deliver to the player and his family I suppose. But that might all come crumbling down with the FBI investigation.

Football though, the NFL has such a global monopoly on professional American football, and so little of a professional development system .... because they've specifically partnered with major college football to BE the development farm system, at zero cost to the NFL, and baked it into the requirements to go that route.

But clearly OJ has far more to risk (another concussion likely ends his career for good) playing another season in college, than he does giving it a shot to make a practice squad.

Good luck to him!!

Top Bottom