Notre Dame grad transfer Micah Dew-Treadway commits

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6'-4" 300lbs and saw action in 12 games for a team in the CFP this year. Some potentially exciting things happening along the D-Line both for the present and the future based on some of the players coming on board.

2 career tackles, having played in 20 games total. I'm assuming he would have two seasons to play with the Gophers.

2 career tackles, having played in 20 games total. I'm assuming he would have two seasons to play with the Gophers.

One season, unless he gets some sort of 6th year waiver.

2015 - Redshirt
2016 - Injured (broken foot)
2017 - 9 games
2018 - 11 games

I think he only has 1. He was part of their 2015 class.

I peaked over at the Notre Dame board, it seems like they thought he could have helped and they really liked him (seems like a really good guy).

One thing we can say with PJ, he will recruit WRs and DTs. That's a good thing.

Nice! Hope he can rotate in from the start of the season.

Cant hurt to add the depth and experience. Big man. Hope he contributes and enjoys his time here.

I'm guessing he has two years to play. He redshirted in 2015 and can use a medical redshirt for 2016.

Do we think this says anything about the likelihood of getting Kristian Williams?

2 tackles in 20 games? I realize his snap count at Notre Dame was likely really low but.......2 tackles in 20 games?

I hope the kid comes here, is an amazing human, a leader, and finally gets the reps to show that he is a contributor on a D1 team.....and gets more than 2 tackles in 20 games for us.

Is there an example of a grad transfer that's had 2 years of eligibility?

This is a weird thread of speculation/not reading.

Is there an example of a grad transfer that's had 2 years of eligibility?

Yes. It's of course rare because it would require either a player having graduated in 3 years while a varsity athlete, or a player getting an injury waiver and being granted a 6th year.

Evan Boudreaux at Purdue (apparently is 21, looks 41) transferred from Dartmouth to Purdue to play basketball with 2 years remaining (graduated in 3 years from Dartmouth). Assuming that Jalen Hurts transfers, he'll have 2 years of immediate eligibility at his new spot because he's already graduated.

Interior linemen don't have the same number of tackles as a linebacker and sometimes/many times they are there to take on a double team and plug up the middle so others can make the tackle. I am sure he rotated in and kept everyone fresh on their d line. Not worried at all that he had 2 tackles in 20 games.

Yes. It's of course rare because it would require either a player having graduated in 3 years while a varsity athlete, or a player getting an injury waiver and being granted a 6th year.

Evan Boudreaux at Purdue (apparently is 21, looks 41) transferred from Dartmouth to Purdue to play basketball with 2 years remaining (graduated in 3 years from Dartmouth). Assuming that Jalen Hurts transfers, he'll have 2 years of immediate eligibility at his new spot because he's already graduated.

Hurts will only have 1 right?

He was the starter in 2016, 2017 and he played in more than 4 games last year.

Hurts will only have 1 right?

He was the starter in 2016, 2017 and he played in more than 4 games last year.

You're correct. I didn't realize that he had played in so many games this year and misread the following quote from this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ring-transfer-alabama/?utm_term=.8c8b4b55c840

"Hurts could have preserved another year of eligibility, thanks to another NCAA rule change, but didn’t exercise that option during the season. In January 2018, the organization approved a proposal that allows players who appear in four games or fewer to count the season as a redshirt year and preserve an additional season of eligibility.

The rule was designed for players who suffer an injury early in a season and for young players who get playing time in the beginning of a season but sit later to extend their college careers. Hurts thus could have left Alabama as a graduate transfer with two years of eligibility left."

I missed the "could have" part and didn't realize that the author was speaking hypothetically.

I'm guessing he has two years to play. He redshirted in 2015 and can use a medical redshirt for 2016.

To qualify for a medical redshirt (6th year) the player needs to have lost significant time in two seasons. I don't see how Dew-Treadway would qualify for that.

Do we think this says anything about the likelihood of getting Kristian Williams?

Outside of the total 85 scholarship impact, I don't think a grad transfer DT who will likely be here in 2019 only would have much impact on a high school DT.

My bigger fear, and this is just me reading the tea leaves, is that this is OJ Smith health related. He missed 6 games mid season due to concussion. And then the bowl game with undisclosed injury. If that was another concussion, then I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he hung it up. Head injuries are nothing to mess around with.

Micah Drew-Treadway graduated after his third year at ND and would have been able to grad transfer last year and have two years of eligibility if he wanted.

He will have one year unless he were to get a 6th year.

To qualify for a medical redshirt (6th year) the player needs to have lost significant time in two seasons. I don't see how Dew-Treadway would qualify for that.

I don't believe there is any such guideline. The NCAA allows players to apply for a Hardship Waiver, for a vast multitude of reaons, to the purposes of extending their five year clock to six years. In football, usually it has to do with losing a season to an injury. But there are many types of hardships allowed/considered. In women's sports, I believe they even have considerations for pregnancy.

It's worth a shot, if he wants to try to play here two seasons.

One thing to consider, though, is that we will have *NINE* guys on scholarship at the DT position who won't be freshman (red shirt or true) in 2019:

OJ Smith - sr
Silver - sr
Renner - sr
Dew-Treadway - sr/jr?
Schad - jr
Umlor - soph
Teague - soph

Hickcox - soph
M. Robinson - soph

Plus we have Carter and Cheney as true freshman who will get a look, and in theory K Williams is still a possibility to sign. Very, very crowded room.

Now granted, Hickcox and Robinson didn't get much playing time (don't believe the latter saw the field at all this year).

Outside of the total 85 scholarship impact, I don't think a grad transfer DT who will likely be here in 2019 only would have much impact on a high school DT.

My bigger fear, and this is just me reading the tea leaves, is that this is OJ Smith health related. He missed 6 games mid season due to concussion. And then the bowl game with undisclosed injury. If that was another concussion, then I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he hung it up. Head injuries are nothing to mess around with.

That is a very good point!

Certainly could be related to Smith's current health or could also be viewed as an insurance plan if/when Smith gets hurt again. As far as I am concerned you can never have too many options along the offensive and defensive lines so even if Micah just ends up being a rotation guy it is still well worth it.

The bigger thing of note is that we are seeing guys transferring in here from some big name schools. Maybe the previous staffs didn't go out looking for these players but this is certainly a new phenomenon around here, at least as far as I can remember.

Off the top of my head:
Grimes - USC
Dew-Treadway - Notre Dame
Williamson - Florida
Smith - Alabama

I know under Kill we had the Ohio State O-Lineman that never panned out due to injury but can't think of many others that left helmet schools to come here for one reason or another. The returns on Smith (when healthy) and Williamson have been solid to date, hopefully we will get similar contributions from MDT and Grimes.

I think at the P5 level at least, maybe common in all of FBS too, is that you have guys enrolled every Summer taking classes. That way you can pay them the full cost of attendance stipend year round (rather than just fall/spring semesters). Going to school essentially just becomes their summer job, and they're also always around campus during the summer that way too. Workouts, captains practices, etc.

So if 120 credits is an undergrad degree, and you take classes every summer, that's three semesters a year for three years, plus some kids do enroll in the summer semester right after their senior year of high school is finished, too.

Point being ... it really doesn't surprise me at all to see players graduating after only being on a team for three seasons. The grad transfer rules lets them become free-agents, and go to another team with two years left.

I approve of this 100%, because it incentivizes graduating with a degree!

Good point! Given the need to get to 85, this makes me wonder if there are transfers away from the Gophers coming, especially from the 2017 class. I have no inside info, it just seems similar to USC with Grimes.

Good point! Given the need to get to 85, this makes me wonder if there are transfers away from the Gophers coming, especially from the 2017 class. I have no inside info, it just seems similar to USC with Grimes.

The need to get to 85???

According to this: https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/255/938/8938255.jpg we were already at 90 for 2019. That includes K. Williams, but doesn't include Grimes or MDT.

EDIT: apologize, I misread your statement.

I don't believe there is any such guideline. The NCAA allows players to apply for a Hardship Waiver, for a vast multitude of reaons, to the purposes of extending their five year clock to six years. In football, usually it has to do with losing a season to an injury. But there are many types of hardships allowed/considered. In women's sports, I believe they even have considerations for pregnancy.

It's worth a shot, if he wants to try to play here two seasons.

One thing to consider, though, is that we will have *NINE* guys on scholarship at the DT position who won't be freshman (red shirt or true) in 2019:

OJ Smith - sr
Silver - sr
Renner - sr
Dew-Treadway - sr/jr?
Schad - jr
Umlor - soph
Teague - soph

Hickcox - soph
M. Robinson - soph

Plus we have Carter and Cheney as true freshman who will get a look, and in theory K Williams is still a possibility to sign. Very, very crowded room.

Now granted, Hickcox and Robinson didn't get much playing time (don't believe the latter saw the field at all this year).

I think you're confusing a medical hardship waiver (commonly called "medical redshirt") with being granted a sixth year of eligibility.

The medical hardship waiver is pretty much done now because of the new RS rules.

D1 athletes have five calendar years to play four seasons. The NCAA can grant a sixth year and does so only when colleges can prove the player lost two seasons because of reasons beyond their control, like injury or illness.

Being a RS isn't considered a reason "beyond your control" and MD-T only lost 1 season to injury.

This rule might be outdated, but I believe it was the rule last season.

I think you're confusing a medical hardship waiver (commonly called "medical redshirt") with being granted a sixth year of eligibility.

The medical hardship waiver is pretty much done now because of the new RS rules.

D1 athletes have five calendar years to play four seasons. The NCAA can grant a sixth year and does so only when colleges can prove the player lost two seasons because of reasons beyond their control, like injury or illness.

Being a RS isn't considered a reason "beyond your control" and MD-T only lost 1 season to injury.

This rule might be outdated, but I believe it was the rule last season.

Again, the Hardship Waiver is the thing that is related to your clock. It adds a year onto your clock (five to six). One of the reasons it can be granted, is for loss of season due to injury. But there are other considerations (military service, etc.). This rule did not change, it is the same as it was in 2017.

If you can find the rule language that specifically says it must be two years lost, I will admit I was wrong. But I'm fairly certain there is no such thing in the rulebook.

The clock is one thing. Entirely separate are the competition seasons. Every athlete gets four. If you take a redshirt, it means you don't use up one of the four. It used to be (2017 and back) that you couldn't set foot on the field, the whole year. Now (2018 and forward), you can play in four games or less, and it can still be a redshirt year.

Taking a redshirt has nothing to do with your clock, and doesn't affect it. Similarly, getting a hardship waiver doesn't have anything to do with your competition seasons.

Last edited:

Certainly could be related to Smith's current health or could also be viewed as an insurance plan if/when Smith gets hurt again. As far as I am concerned you can never have too many options along the offensive and defensive lines so even if Micah just ends up being a rotation guy it is still well worth it.

The bigger thing of note is that we are seeing guys transferring in here from some big name schools. Maybe the previous staffs didn't go out looking for these players but this is certainly a new phenomenon around here, at least as far as I can remember.

Off the top of my head:
Grimes - USC
Dew-Treadway - Notre Dame
Williamson - Florida
Smith - Alabama

I know under Kill we had the Ohio State O-Lineman that never panned out due to injury but can't think of many others that left helmet schools to come here for one reason or another. The returns on Smith (when healthy) and Williamson have been solid to date, hopefully we will get similar contributions from MDT and Grimes.

Also,
Brandon Beal---Florida

Top Bottom