Notre Dame grad transfer Micah Dew-Treadway commits

Again, the Hardship Waiver is the thing that is related to your clock. It adds a year onto your clock (five to six). One of the reasons it can be granted, is for loss of season due to injury. But there are other considerations (military service, etc.). This rule did not change, it is the same as it was in 2017.

If you can find the rule language that specifically says it must be two years lost, I will admit I was wrong. But I'm fairly certain there is no such thing in the rulebook.

The clock is one thing. Entirely separate are the competition seasons. Every athlete gets four. If you take a redshirt, it means you don't use up one of the four. It used to be (2017 and back) that you couldn't set foot on the field, the whole year. Now (2018 and forward), you can play in four games or less, and it can still be a redshirt year.

Taking a redshirt has nothing to do with your clock, and doesn't affect it. Similarly, getting a hardship waiver doesn't have anything to do with your competition seasons.

From 2018-19 NCAA Rule Book
12.8.1.7.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a student-athlete with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a fiveyear period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence under the following circumstances:
(Revised: 4/17/91, 1/11/94, 8/10/94, 10/12/95, 4/27/00, 7/30/10, 7/31/14, 4/25/18 applicable to a student athlete who qualifies for a waiver that would provide the opportunity to participate in four seasons of competition
within a five-year period)

(a) The student-athlete did not use a season of intercollegiate competition in his or her initial year of
full-time, collegiate enrollment due to an institutional decision to redshirt the student-athlete
; the
student-athlete was listed on the institution’s squad list and was eligible for competition during the
segment of the season that concludes with the NCAA championship; and the student-athlete was
deprived of the opportunity to participate in intercollegiate competition in one other season due to
circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete or institution; or

(b) The student-athlete is deprived of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his
or her sport within the five-year period of eligibility
for reasons that are beyond the control of the
student-athlete or the institution.

More than one season lost is a thing. However... it looks like he could have 2 years to play due to Section A where he redshirted his first year?

Last edited:

Outside of the total 85 scholarship impact, I don't think a grad transfer DT who will likely be here in 2019 only would have much impact on a high school DT.

My bigger fear, and this is just me reading the tea leaves, is that this is OJ Smith health related. He missed 6 games mid season due to concussion. And then the bowl game with undisclosed injury. If that was another concussion, then I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he hung it up. Head injuries are nothing to mess around with.

The thought is that he was one of the ones suspended. Which may mean he might not be back. I have no insider info, just speculating.

2 tackles in 20 games? I realize his snap count at Notre Dame was likely really low but.......2 tackles in 20 games?

I hope the kid comes here, is an amazing human, a leader, and finally gets the reps to show that he is a contributor on a D1 team.....and gets more than 2 tackles in 20 games for us.

Anyone know, are we still recruiting high school DT?

The thought is that he was one of the ones suspended. Which may mean he might not be back. I have no insider info, just speculating.

For what its worth, Smith traveled and was on the sidelines for the bowl game. Teague too. And were reported by Strib and PPress as having injuries.

Martin was suspended and did not travel.

For what its worth, Smith traveled and was on the sidelines for the bowl game. Teague too. And were reported by Strib and PPress as having injuries.

Martin was suspended and did not travel.

Did not know that. Thanks...

From 2018-19 NCAA Rule Book
12.8.1.7.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a student-athlete with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a fiveyear period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence under the following circumstances:
(Revised: 4/17/91, 1/11/94, 8/10/94, 10/12/95, 4/27/00, 7/30/10, 7/31/14, 4/25/18 applicable to a student athlete who qualifies for a waiver that would provide the opportunity to participate in four seasons of competition
within a five-year period)

(a) The student-athlete did not use a season of intercollegiate competition in his or her initial year of
full-time, collegiate enrollment due to an institutional decision to redshirt the student-athlete
; the
student-athlete was listed on the institution’s squad list and was eligible for competition during the
segment of the season that concludes with the NCAA championship; and the student-athlete was
deprived of the opportunity to participate in intercollegiate competition in one other season due to
circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete or institution; or

(b) The student-athlete is deprived of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his
or her sport within the five-year period of eligibility
for reasons that are beyond the control of the
student-athlete or the institution.

More than one season lost is a thing. However... it looks like he could have 2 years to play due to Section A where he redshirted his first year?

Thanks! Now I think I have a better grasp of the confusion here. It appears there are two separate rules governing waivers to the five year period. The overall section 12.8 and all its sub-sections are really quite vast.

The one you highlight seems to state that if you can show that you'd be able to complete your four seasons within a straight five year period (ie, years 2-6), you can apply for a waiver under rule 12.8.1.7. This would happen if you redshirted in year 1 and then had an injury year after that. I believe that would apply in this case.

The rule I was thinking about is actually down in section 12.8.4, the Hardship Waiver. This is a separate way to waive the five year period. I guess this would be more likely to apply to guys who did play their first year, but then had two injury years. Perhaps that is indeed what Bob was talking about. That makes sense, then. I apologize Bob, if that is what you meant!

Last edited:

Again, the Hardship Waiver is the thing that is related to your clock. It adds a year onto your clock (five to six). One of the reasons it can be granted, is for loss of season due to injury. But there are other considerations (military service, etc.). This rule did not change, it is the same as it was in 2017.

If you can find the rule language that specifically says it must be two years lost, I will admit I was wrong. But I'm fairly certain there is no such thing in the rulebook.

The clock is one thing. Entirely separate are the competition seasons. Every athlete gets four. If you take a redshirt, it means you don't use up one of the four. It used to be (2017 and back) that you couldn't set foot on the field, the whole year. Now (2018 and forward), you can play in four games or less, and it can still be a redshirt year.

Taking a redshirt has nothing to do with your clock, and doesn't affect it. Similarly, getting a hardship waiver doesn't have anything to do with your competition seasons.

I've never seen anyone who is as wrong as often as you demand other people prove it, consistently.

You're wrong.

A medical hardship waiver has nothing to do with the "clock". A medical hardship waiver is what people used to call a medical redshirt. It meant that you could get a redshirt if you played in less than 20% of your team's games (all in the first half of the season). It was an exception to the rule that you could only get a RS if you didn't play. It was a waiver to that rule, it was not a waiver to the 5 year rule.

The NCAA bylaw was 14.2.4. Now, that rule is completely pointless now because you can get a RS and play in 4 games.

You're wrong, I don't care if you admit it.

This is entirely about the "clock". Next year will be his fifth season. So to get another season (6th), he will need a waiver of the 5 year rule. In order to qualify that waiver (what you call the "clock"), you need to have lost two seasons.

These rules could have changed, but like usual, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

According to what I read, MD-T already has his degree - in Film and Broadcasting. Not the typical "jock" degree, so I'm assuming/guessing he must be a decent student. apparently plans to pursue a career in broadcasting after football.

I re-watched the Notre Dame-Northwestern and Notre Dame Stanford games and Micah Drew-Treadway played a decent amount of snaps in both games.

He didn't do much as a pass rusher and in run defense he didn't really get washed but also didn't push his guy back or disrupt the play in the backfield. On the snaps, he was in, the other teams didn't really run it at him so I don't really know how good he is at the point of attack. Probably ok. He did play a lot on goal-line defense but it's hard to tell how he did as it all got jumbled up where he was.

According to what I read, MD-T already has his degree - in Film and Broadcasting. Not the typical "jock" degree, so I'm assuming/guessing he must be a decent student. apparently plans to pursue a career in broadcasting after football.

He also got his degree in three years at Notre Dame. Probably a smart kid.

A medical hardship waiver is what people used to call a medical redshirt. It meant that you could get a redshirt if you played in less than 20% of your team's games (all in the first half of the season). It was an exception to the rule that you could only get a RS if you didn't play. It was a waiver to that rule, it was not a waiver to the 5 year rule.

The NCAA bylaw was 14.2.4. Now, that rule is completely pointless now because you can get a RS and play in 4 games.

Unfortunately, you got your panties all twisted up before you could read my post #37.

The relevant rules of this discussion are under section 12.8. The Hardship Waiver I was referring to is 12.8.4.

I have no idea what is under 14.2 or if it is now a useless rule. The five year period is defined in section 12.8.

Next year will be his fifth season. So to get another season (6th), he will need a waiver of the 5 year rule. In order to qualify that waiver (what you call the "clock"), you need to have lost two seasons.

Read post #37 and the post before that (which I replied to in #37).

12.8.1.7 and 12.8.4 define two separate ways to get a waiver from the five year period of eligibility (which I correctly referred to as the five year clock).

One of them, 12.8.4, actually does seem to align somewhat with what you were saying before. Hence I had offered an apology to you in post #37. But then you got your panties twisted up real good, and also started talking about 14.2, so it does indeed appear you didn't know what you were talking about.

He has one year of eligibility left because he is a grad transfer. He appears to be pretty smart so believe he will adapt to our system quickly and will be a nice get for next year while we are still getting stronger.

He has one year of eligibility left because he is a grad transfer. He appears to be pretty smart so believe he will adapt to our system quickly and will be a nice get for next year while we are still getting stronger.

Care to elaborate on why that would be a rule? For instance, if a player graduates in 2 years and grad transfers, why would he only have one year of eligibility left?

I think the only difference between "transferring" and "grad transferring" is that you don't have to sit out a season as a grad transfer.

I re-watched the Notre Dame-Northwestern and Notre Dame Stanford games and Micah Drew-Treadway played a decent amount of snaps in both games.

He didn't do much as a pass rusher and in run defense he didn't really get washed but also didn't push his guy back or disrupt the play in the backfield. On the snaps, he was in, the other teams didn't really run it at him so I don't really know how good he is at the point of attack. Probably ok. He did play a lot on goal-line defense but it's hard to tell how he did as it all got jumbled up where he was.

Not even going to ask why you have those games just sitting around ready to watch :)

If he can come in and be an experienced rotation guy that will be perfect. Takes some pressure off the younger guys and can probably serve as a mentor for them as well. I mean best case scenario he comes in and dominates but that is probably unlikely. Said in another post, you can never have too much quality depth along the offensive and defensive lines.

May have but he’s been there for 4 years - was out one year due to injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OJ Smith suffered a concussion early in the season and missed time. Then he came back and played fantastic against Wisconsin, before suffering a second concussion. That's why he didn't play in the bowl game. Rumor is, Smith will never play again.

If you accept this premise, adding MDT makes a lot more sense. MDT would be the nose tackle, with Kiante Schad next to him as the likely starters in 2019, with Sam Renner & Royal Silver behind them. The wild cards would be the younger guys like Malcolm Robinson, Jamal Teague & Noah Hickcox fighting for snaps.

OJ Smith suffered a concussion early in the season and missed time. Then he came back and played fantastic against Wisconsin, before suffering a second concussion. That's why he didn't play in the bowl game. Rumor is, Smith will never play again.

If you accept this premise, adding MDT makes a lot more sense. MDT would be the nose tackle, with Kiante Schad next to him as the likely starters in 2019, with Sam Renner & Royal Silver behind them. The wild cards would be the younger guys like Malcolm Robinson, Jamal Teague & Noah Hickcox fighting for snaps.

That makes a lot of sense.

Don't forget Nate Umlor, who played DE as a true freshman in 2017, then redshirted in 2018 to bulk up for a move inside, and indeed did play in the bowl game (not sure about Wisconsin).

Smith will not play again for the Gophers...entered the NFL Draft.

Makes this pick up all the more valuable!

Well ... so much for that theory re: OJ Smith! Indeed he won't play for us again ... but he will (attempt to) play again.

Teague was playing a lot more than Silver by the end of the year.

It'll likely be MDT with Teague and Schad battling for the other starting position (IMO). I think Teague outplayed Silver and Renner last year and will likely start.

It's difficult to rank the bankups, it'll be a dog fight in come the fall.

Teague/Schad, Renner, Silver, Hickox, Robinson, Cheney.

If Cheney is good, I would not be surprised to see him get into the DT rotation as well. Depends on injuries of course. They were trying to save Teague too, but he was forced into playing.

Hickcox and Robinson have been in the program two years, and have not been given a chance to play. They may need more development, or they might get passed up on the depth chart.

Teague was playing a lot more than Silver by the end of the year.

It'll likely be MDT with Teague and Schad battling for the other starting position (IMO). I think Teague outplayed Silver and Renner last year and will likely start.

It's difficult to rank the bankups, it'll be a dog fight in come the fall.

Teague/Schad, Renner, Silver, Hickox, Robinson, Cheney.

Everyone around here seems to think that and I don't see why.

I have re-watched the Purdue and Wisconsin games and didn't really see him do anything worthwhile and it seemed like he did play less than both Renner and Silver. And I don't remember him standing out in the Northwestern game or really any game this year. None of the DT's really stood out to me at all this year but it seemed like Renner and Silver both played more.

It would be a lot to expect a true freshman DT to stand out, no?? It's a tough position. He was pressed into service, due to injuries.

Also, it's a position where you can excel at your job, do exactly what your coach tells you to do, be the best on the team at doing that ..... and come away with zero stats.

If you're not specifically knowledgeable about the defense and about the position, and you're not looking at it specifically (ignoring the ball) .... it sometimes just doesn't stand out.

It would be a lot to expect a true freshman DT to stand out, no?? It's a tough position. He was pressed into service, due to injuries.

Also, it's a position where you can excel at your job, do exactly what your coach tells you to do, be the best on the team at doing that ..... and come away with zero stats.

If you're not specifically knowledgeable about the defense and about the position, and you're not looking at it specifically (ignoring the ball) .... it sometimes just doesn't stand out.

I was watching the D-line specifically, not watching the ball. Teague did not look any better than Renner or Silver and played less.

Fair enough!

Last thing to say though, is there are actually two different positions withing the "DT" umbrella, which have two very different assignments, depending on the defensive philosophy. In a modern (NFL style) 40 front, you usually have a tilted nose guard on the center, and a 3-techniquie lined up on the opposite guard.

Top Bottom