Notre Dame grad transfer Micah Dew-Treadway commits

OK. I LOVE P.J. Fleck and I LOVE the Minnesota Gophers! BUT...I am not getting excited about the transfers we have taken in P.J.'s tenure, nor those that we plan to take. I don't get it! We get O.J. Smith for (how many games)? We bring in the Notre Dame DT (for 1-2 years, and why?). Grimes? (doesn't move the needle). I'm not sure how any of these gentlemen change what we 'are' (a 7-6 team who won the Quick Bowl) into what we may become during their Gopher tenure...Rose Bowl Participants?

[/I]....

OK. I LOVE P.J. Fleck and I LOVE the Minnesota Gophers! BUT...I am not getting excited about the transfers we have taken in P.J.'s tenure, nor those that we plan to take. I don't get it! We get O.J. Smith for (how many games)? We bring in the Notre Dame DT (for 1-2 years, and why?). Grimes? (doesn't move the needle). I'm not sure how any of these gentlemen change what we 'are' (a 7-6 team who won the Quick Bowl) into what we may become during their Gopher tenure...Rose Bowl Participants?

[/I]....

OJ Smith was a big part of the change that made us team with an axe rather than a team without one.

I'll gladly trade a scholarship, every year, for that axe.

[/I]....

I think much of the point of adding grad transfers is to add some experience and depth at a much needed DL position. I think you might need to take a chill pill and trust the process.

[/I]....

OJ was the best d-lineman we’ve had since Ra’Shede. Like Bob said, I’ll take players that help us get the axe every day. The Notre Dame DT is needed next year because we have a bunch of young DTs who ideally get a redshirt year. Grimes, based on his high school rankings, would have been the top prep recruit in this year’s class. There is a lot to like about the players we are bringing in.

Smith, Silver, Schad and Dew-Treadway have all been needed due to the bare cupboard that was left at DT. It’s unbelievable how few DTs were on the roster 2 years ago.

John Galt;1673881[B said:
]OJ was the best d-lineman we’ve had since Ra’Shede. [/B]Like Bob said, I’ll take players that help us get the axe every day. The Notre Dame DT is needed next year because we have a bunch of young DTs who ideally get a redshirt year. Grimes, based on his high school rankings, would have been the top prep recruit in this year’s class. There is a lot to like about the players we are bringing in.

Richardson and Coughlin if you consider him a D-lineman are the two best since Ra'Shede.

I don't know enough to predict how good a player he will be. However, after reading his statement, he seems like an outstanding young man who will embrace the culture. I think that he will be a good role model to younger linemen.

Yep, don't sell Steven Richardson short!

:clap: Haha I see what you did there, very nice!

This is great for the Gophers. Getting players from these types of schools is an indication of the progress the U of M has made. We've become as school where 1) Players view Fleck as a great coach for football and view it as a chance to better themselves as a person. 2) Players throughout the country have heard from previous coaches or have taken notice of Minnesota. Either way its something us fans should be feeling good about!

[/I]....

First off, they are not taking these transfers instead of high school players, they are adding them to the back end of the class and filling open spots.

Smith played very well for us but had some bad luck on the injury front. Williamson (transfer from Florida) played really well down the stretch for the defense and should be an important player for us next year.

Given what we have seen this staff do at the WR position already I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Grimes and figure they see something in him they feel they can work with. And as to the Notre Dame DT, he comes in ready to play to help replace Smith and bring along the younger guys.

These transfers are low risk/high reward moves and so far the returns have been pretty good.

They have brought in some JC and transfer guys to help fill holes in the roster but for the most part the staff has put a great deal of emphasis on recruiting and developing high school players. I personally love what they are doing with the transfers and it is clear people are taking notice as we have now landed 4 guys from helmet schools (Alabama, Florida, USC, and Notre Dame). Time will tell if they will all pan out but the minimal risk is well worth it in my opinion.

Richardson and Coughlin if you consider him a D-lineman are the two best since Ra'Shede.

I meant to say defensive tackle. Coughlin has been better based on production. Richardson was good, but I though Smith was better when healthy.

Top Bottom