Addae to West Virginia

I thought Addae did a pretty good job this season. Bummer to see him go already. Hard to say no to your alma mater though.

I'm sure PJ has a number of qualified candidates to replace him.

fleck's coaching tree continues to grow. love it.

next coach up!

Coaching trees are interesting things. The fastest-growing tree right now? The Hall Mumme / Mike Leach tree. Everybody wants a branch.

fleck's coaching tree continues to grow. love it.

next coach up!

At this stage of rebuilding, turnover is bad, particularly if the guy is a good coach and recruiter. This isn’t like Saban at Bama.

Joe Harasymiak coached DBs at Maine for awhile.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets bumped up to DBs coach.

TC chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I'll be the designated let's bring back Sawvel guy :)

I'd be on board with that.

Does Sawvel still live here?

TC chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Please no. He needs to get some experience beyond coaching (and forfeiting) at the youth level.

rough count - could be wrong - but going into year 3 under Fleck, the Gophers will have had:
3 DB coaches (new one TBA); 3 DL coaches (Paup, West, Panagos); 2 Def Coordinators; 2 OL coaches; 2 TE coaches.

Coaches that have been the same: Fleck, Kirk C, Burns (RB), Simon (WR), Wenger (spec tms). Callahan has been with staff all 3 years but changed assignments from TE to OL.

don't have anything to compare to as far as coaching turnover. obviously, compared to the Kill/Claeys era, there has been more movement.

Brewster had a lot of turnover on his staffs in certain positions, but not motivated to go back and do a year-by-year search.

This sucks, but tough to blame Addae going back to his alma mater.

rough count - could be wrong - but going into year 3 under Fleck, the Gophers will have had:
3 DB coaches (new one TBA); 3 DL coaches (Paup, West, Panagos); 2 Def Coordinators; 2 OL coaches; 2 TE coaches.

Coaches that have been the same: Fleck, Kirk C, Burns (RB), Simon (WR), Wenger (spec tms). Callahan has been with staff all 3 years but changed assignments from TE to OL.

don't have anything to compare to as far as coaching turnover. obviously, compared to the Kill/Claeys era, there has been more movement.

Brewster had a lot of turnover on his staffs in certain positions, but not motivated to go back and do a year-by-year search.

The lack of turnover under Kill was very rare, on the same note it feels like the current rate of turnover is a little higher than normal. The key is the guys at the top, if you can keep some good consistency in the head coach and coordinators there is going to be some movement in the position coaches as guys get promoted or in this case head back to their alma mater.

Brewster was plagued by lots of movement in his coordinators which tends to bring with it fairly drastic overhauls to the way things are done. When a position coach comes in they have to work within the existing framework so there is less disruption.

Mason had a lot of stability within his offensive staff but there was a pretty fair amount of fluctuation on the defensive side of the ball, including the DC spot. I am sure the averages are out there somewhere in regards to assistant coach turnover but I wouldn't know where to find it and like you lack the motivation to pull that info together on my own :)

Hopefully Addae was already talking to West Virginia when Fleck was at the Coaches Conference. He could've said something like "Hey, this looks like a chance for me to go back to my alma mater, I might be taking it" So that Fleck could find some good candidates to replace him. Plus Rossi gets to have input on this hire so hopefully to coach would gel as well or better with whatever Rossi's scheme ends up being.

I think the more important thing is that scheme stays consistent. Sure, position coaches may teach technique differently or might suggest some twists to the scheme, but if the overall scheme stays consistent it shouldn't cause too many issues. In that sense, the Offensive coaching changes shouldn't be too much of a worry and since we fired Smith, Rossi might actually like to have a say in some of the coaches on the Defensive side to try to get guys he thinks are a good fit.

Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic...the coaching churn can definitely be a bit nerve racking but I don't think it's a definite sign that things won't continue to trend up.

Go Gophers!!

The bad thing about the early signing period is a greater chance of coaches leaving after you sign with a school.

Not a big deal. Changes at OC and DC can be worrisome.

Seems quite a spin to call it a “coaching tree” when several are here less than a year.

Yeah, has any coach lasted longer than 1 year that didn't initially come over from WMU? Other than Robb Smith (and that worked out great), I can't think of any obvious ones.

Linguist - One and done
Warriner - One and done
Paup - One and done
West - One and done
Addae - One and done

I guess you could argue that Rossi is one, but he just got a promotion and was not a position coach his first 2 years here.
Kenni Burns maybe? He came from WMU but was only there for one year.

It seems like every coach that didn't already have direct experience working with PJ leaves after 1 year. Must be a tough culture for coaches to fully buy into.

Article from July, 2018 (since then Tulane fired and hired and new OC):

"When Tulane’s Willie Fritz lauds the stability of his staff at American Athletic Conference media days, he will have plenty of ammunition behind his statements.

As the Green Wave seeks a long-awaited breakthrough in league play, he is the only Football Bowl Subdivision coach who has not lost an assistant since the start of the 2016 season.

You read that right. All of the other 129 FBS teams have replaced at least one on-field coach in that span, but Fritz still has every single assistant who worked the opening day of his first spring practice at Yulman Stadium "

Rossi has been here since Fleck got here...I think he was promised that tenth spot that came available after 2017 season.

Fleck hasn't had much turnover in support staff:
His S and C staff has been the same; Nichol, Cole, Wasilewski, Rheinberger, Wisniewski
His player development, personnel, recruiting, video guys have been the same; Norries, Hendrickson, Schaekel, Childers
His "GM" has been the same; Chernoff

Will be interesting to see if Rossi picks another of his old colleagues who he has some familiarity with or if PJ brings someone from outside Rossi's (or Fleck's) inner circle.

I wish Fleck would hire coaches nobody else wanted so we wouldn't have turnover.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom