Funniest/Morbid things overheard at the Barn?

I was at the game Saturday against Rutgers and although I usually here some funny jeers from the Barn faithful, I may have heard the one I laughed/shook my head at the most this season.

During the game, Rutgers had a player(#15) twist his ankle and fall down in the paint due to the injury. I sit in section 217 and off to my right someone shouted to the refs that they need to call the offensive 3 seconds as this poor kid is on the ground. I tried to not to laugh but couldn't help it...it was dark humor and I found it funny.

It got me thinking about some of the funny/obscene things we have heard or maybe yelled ourselves during a game. I have only had season tickets for two seasons and would love to hear some memorable things overheard at the barn. So go ahead, this is a forum to share your stories that made you laugh or things that made you shake your head.

Ha. The guy behind me in 204 was saying the same thing. If we were playing wisconsin I probably would have joined in, but since it was lowly Rutgers I didn't feel the need. Plus it looked like it hurt.

Haven't heard anything too bad. I get a little annoyed when people freak out over fouls that look really hard. It's a game involving very large and athletic people, sometimes those people run into each other and hit the deck. It's not a flagrant foul every time that happens.

Funniest memory from a Gopher athletic event was from the year Iowa beat us 55-0 in football at the dome. Was in the student section, and there was an obnoxious Iowa fan sitting in front of us. Around the third quarter he took off his shirt revealing a fairly large Hawkeye tattoo on his shoulder. He was a bit of a burly guy, and all the students around us (including plenty of females) were telling him to stop embarrassing himself and put his shirt back on. He yelled back "I'll put it on as soon as you score." Needless to say, he went shirtless the rest of the game. He was annoying and I hate Iowa as much as the next guy, but I'll give him credit for sticking with it.

Sometime in the mid 70’s Dutcher had a huge back line on his 2-3 zone. Michael Thompson, Kevin McHale and Dave Winey were all 6-10 or taller. Pretty imposing front court to pack the lane in that pre-3 pointer era. The problem was on offense, when all three couldn’t be camped in the lane without getting in each other’s way. So Winey often found himself on the perimeter with little ability to do anything but immediately pass the ball. One game he had 2-3 early turnovers caused by trying to do too much with the ball. At one quiet moment during a Winey possession a fan hollered out “Don’t dribble, Winey!!” Loud enough for the entire arena to hear. Everybody busted out laughing. It’s still a phrase my Dad and brothers use when exhorting one another not to try something beyond your abilities.

Sometime in the mid 70’s Dutcher had a huge back line on his 2-3 zone. Michael Thompson, Kevin McHale and Dave Winey were all 6-10 or taller. Pretty imposing front court to pack the lane in that pre-3 pointer era. The problem was on offense, when all three couldn’t be camped in the lane without getting in each other’s way. So Winey often found himself on the perimeter with little ability to do anything but immediately pass the ball. One game he had 2-3 early turnovers caused by trying to do too much with the ball. At one quiet moment during a Winey possession a fan hollered out “Don’t dribble, Winey!!” Loud enough for the entire arena to hear. Everybody busted out laughing. It’s still a phrase my Dad and brothers use when exhorting one another not to try something beyond your abilities.
I love this!
We were at a Twins game and an adorable little girl had obviously learned to do encouraging chatter. Michael Cuddyer was at bat and she was encouraging him with, "c'mom Cuddyer", "Nice swing Cuddyer" and "good eye Cuddyer". It was so cute.
Then when he went down looking, she yelled, "BAD eye, Cuddyer!"
It so epitomized that feeling of exasperation when you've been trying to be positive and it doesn't work. It's still a thing we say when a sports star lets us down.

One of my favorite Barn moments was when Gene Keady was on his goodbye tour. He was yelling and screaming, per usual, at the refs and Goldy came over during a time out with a giant comb and proceeded to mimic a comb over. Keady looked at Goldy who was standing very close to the Purdue bench and started laughing. It was a good moment and nice to see him have a sense of humor.

One of my favorite Barn moments was when Gene Keady was on his goodbye tour. He was yelling and screaming, per usual, at the refs and Goldy came over during a time out with a giant comb and proceeded to mimic a comb over. Keady looked at Goldy who was standing very close to the Purdue bench and started laughing. It was a good moment and nice to see him have a sense of humor.

When Gene smiled, it lit the whole place up. What a guy.

What all fans at Williams Arena should remember; you can really hear the people (row) in back of you. It's like they are talking directly into your ear. Very hard to ignore especially if they say stupid stuff (you know...stuff you don't agree with). Conversely, the row ahead of you has no choice but to hear what you have on your mind at the moment. Be careful. My favorite interaction is the "knowing nod". I hear a comment regarding a moment in the game (the row behind me) and because it's not not stupid but incredibly insightful, (because I agree with them) I turn around and give them the old nod with some eye contact. We both feel good. We know we are both right. Good stuff.

I was at that game too. The Barn gave Keady a huge round of applause, and as he was waving to the crowd, it looked like he was tearing up (or really close to it). Always had big-time respect for that guy.

I took my two youngest boys to a Tubby’s Tip-off” event at the Barn. My 9-yr old got to go on the court to be part of a contest where a Gopher player was matched with each kid. The Gopher players took turns attempting a mid-court shot. My son’s player never got close to making his shot. As my son walked across the court back toward me, he got the sudden urge to impress the Williams audience with a cart-wheel. Normally, he did them well. This time, his attempt at a cart-wheel ended up with a very hard face-plant on the court floor. He got up with a cut lip, broken tooth, and lots of blood. He calmly picked up the half-tooth he had broken off and walked back off the court with a smile. Tough kid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brothers went to UND and I went to Minnesota, so hockey was a biggie in our family. I had much respect for the UND fan base who would chant in unison, "Who's he? He sucks $#!+!" After every Gopher pre-game intro! Including WCHA player of the year Corey Millen or Pat Micheletti.

Not exactly creative or subtle but I will forever remember a pretty epic F@ck Bo Ryan chant when I was in the student section. It was loud and clear. Watched the recording of the game and could hear it clear as day. Loved it

Go Gophers!!

So many to name...

"Six more years" to Evan Eschmeyer was pretty epic. And it was fun to taunt Jacob Jaacks from Iowa...he was so ugly...

But my favorite came from one game maybe 15 years ago. I think we were playing at home against Michigan State, and I'm seated with several of my closest friends a couple of rows off the court close to a hoop. We were losing late in the second half, and although they were taking it to us we weren't getting many calls either. So ol' Bubblebutt ref calls a foul underneath the basket closer to me, and just before he got everyone set for the free throw I yelled without thinking, "I'm going to write a letter!" It came through clearer than I thought it would, and before I knew it several sections around me were laughing. I'm not sure whether it was with me or at me, although the more time goes by I think it was the latter more than the former. Ol' Bubblebutt even turned to me and laughed along. Oh well...if nothing else it's a good story. And to this day, if something negligible or controversial happens in my group of friends, that statement often returns...

Gopher Hockey is the place for chats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP5YSZBTvAo

Hey Brittain, you're not a sieve, you're a funnel!
Hey Brittain, you're not a funnel, you're a vacuum!
Hey Brittain, you're not a vacuum, you're a black hole!
Hey Brittain, you're not a black hole...
YOU JUST SUCK!
YOU JUST SUCK!
YOU JUST SUCK!

I don't often post so hopefully this works.

Twenty-five years ago I managed courtside tickets for the Far West Classic held in Portland that included Oregon State, Oregon, BYU, and Minnesota. I brought my 16 year old son for the game between my alma mater Minnesota and Oregon State, my employer. We were directly behind the Gopher bench. The Beavers took a 10 point lead as I talked Gopher basketball with the student manager. Suddenly play stopped with a whistle and - low and behold - the OSU center walked to the bench with his hands covering his nose. A personal foul was called on Randy Carter. Some jawing occurred but nothing more. Then, five minutes later, an OSU guard came flying out of the scrum. Personal foul on Voshon Lenard. I was a bit mortified. The student manager and I exchanged looks when my son chirped up "Two down, three to go."

Gopher Hockey is the place for chats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP5YSZBTvAo

Hey Brittain, you're not a sieve, you're a funnel!
Hey Brittain, you're not a funnel, you're a vacuum!
Hey Brittain, you're not a vacuum, you're a black hole!
Hey Brittain, you're not a black hole...
YOU JUST SUCK!
YOU JUST SUCK!
YOU JUST SUCK!
Does this even go on at Gopher Hockey games anymore or have the sensitive types made it a no fun thing?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gophers vs. Michigan. January 2013.

National Anthem getting ready to play. The second or two where the stadium is silent before the music starts, a student decides it would be funny to yell "Trey Burke sucks c*ck."

Sadly, nobody really gave him a hard time for being an idiot.

Top Bottom