Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Former Gopher Ryan Saunders named interim HC of the Wovles

Go Gophers!!

Stay away from Hoiberg Glen!

Y did tibs get fired?

Is it just me or does Thibs' firing have serious implications for the Gophers basketball program. Ryan Saunders, a Gopher alum, just got a free ticket to a NBA coaching resume. I love Richard Pitino and the team this year, but Ryan Saunders has just earned himself a place in the coaching carousel talk, along with coaches like Eric Musselman. Moreover, and this is probably crazier, but I wouldn't be surprised if Glen Taylor goes for a coach with ties to Pitino... his dad or Billy Donovan. The Wolves announced Saunders will have the rest of the year to secure his job. If he fails and, say, OKC gets knocked out of the playoffs early or don't even make it at all, then Donovan would probably be available. Obviously, Rick Pitino is also lurking in the background in all of this.

Curious how this T-Wolves coaching search goes from a Gopher perspective

The timing on this is odd. Have to wonder what Thibs did to get old man Taylor to stop sticking his head in the sand.

Taylor was quoted as saying the team is not as far along as it should be, and was losing too many games to poor teams, or teams with worse records.

The timing is a little odd - coming off a win over the Lakers. But, it was the Lakers without LeBron, Rondo or Kuzma - so it's not a great achievement. And - Thibs had KAT playing in the last 4 minutes of the game with a 20+ point lead. Wiggins played over 20 minutes in the 1st half of the game (had 25 points at halftime, finished with 28).

One can only wonder what kind of conversations were going on behind the scenes.

And - my favorite comment so far - somebody posted that it was "just like the movies - "Old Yeller" dies in the end."

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers612 View Post
    Is it just me or does Thibs' firing have serious implications for the Gophers basketball program. Ryan Saunders, a Gopher alum, just got a free ticket to a NBA coaching resume. I love Richard Pitino and the team this year, but Ryan Saunders has just earned himself a place in the coaching carousel talk, along with coaches like Eric Musselman. Moreover, and this is probably crazier, but I wouldn't be surprised if Glen Taylor goes for a coach with ties to Pitino... his dad or Billy Donovan. The Wolves announced Saunders will have the rest of the year to secure his job. If he fails and, say, OKC gets knocked out of the playoffs early or don't even make it at all, then Donovan would probably be available. Obviously, Rick Pitino is also lurking in the background in all of this.

Curious how this T-Wolves coaching search goes from a Gopher perspective
    Taylor will not be hiring Pitino Sr.. NBA teams are begging college coaches to take NBA jobs and the best ones want nothing to do with it. Hope Saunders wins the job.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Taylor was quoted as saying the team is not as far along as it should be, and was losing too many games to poor teams, or teams with worse records.

The timing is a little odd - coming off a win over the Lakers. But, it was the Lakers without LeBron, Rondo or Kuzma - so it's not a great achievement. And - Thibs had KAT playing in the last 4 minutes of the game with a 20+ point lead. Wiggins played over 20 minutes in the 1st half of the game (had 25 points at halftime, finished with 28).

And - my favorite comment so far - somebody posted that it was "just like the movies - "Old Yeller" dies in the end."
    Won't matter in the least. The wolves roster is pure schit!

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post

"Ole Yeller dies in the end."
    That's great.

Quote Originally Posted by EG#9 View Post
    Stay away from Hoiberg Glen!
    Hoiberg as president of operations with E. mussleman as head coach? Wouldn’t that grind a few people around here lol. (For the record I’m not predicting that or hoping for it just stirring the pot)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1406 View Post
    Hoiberg as president of operations with E. mussleman as head coach? Wouldn’t that grind a few people around here lol. (For the record I’m not predicting that or hoping for it just stirring the pot)
    Tim1406 be like:

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    The timing on this is odd. Have to wonder what Thibs did to get old man Taylor to stop sticking his head in the sand.
    Timing was odd because it took so long.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

I hope Ryan gets a fair shot at the permanent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    I hope Ryan gets a fair shot at the permanent job.
    He'll get half a season to prove himself.

Blog Entries

Has a school ever had multiple alumni as NBA head coaches while having zero active players?