Gophers receive a commitment from USC transfer WR Randal Grimes

He was an elite athlete, recruited to play WR at USC. A project. USC recruited over him & landed some future NFL guys. He was stuck.

<b>The scouting report is he needs to work on technique, route running and blocking. </b>Pretty standard for a project. USC has no time for this type of player apparently, but we do.

Well, he’ll have his chance to continue working on those things. By the time he plays his first game for the Gophers he will have had nearly 3-years doing virtually nothing but working on those things in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gotta love Gopher fans. They can turn any rainbow into a shiitpile.

He was an elite athlete, recruited to play WR at USC. A project. USC recruited over him & landed some future NFL guys. He was stuck.

The scouting report is he needs to work on technique, route running and blocking. Pretty standard for a project. USC has no time for this type of player apparently, but we do.

Daniel’s analysis was from his Jr year in high school, his first year playing receiver. He played safety as a sophomore, QB as a senior. Agree he has a lot of potential and will benefit from new coaches and new surroundings and more practice time but surely he’s progressed at least some from 2015. Probably the only ones that can really give a good assessment would be USC insiders/practice attendees. I’m still not sure about the 4.39 but we’ll find out if he can run away from DBs in 2020.

Well, he’ll have his chance to continue working on those things. By the time he plays his first game for the Gophers he will have had nearly 3-years doing virtually nothing but working on those things in practice.

And given the returns we are already seeing on our young receivers I like Simon's chances of taking whatever raw skills Grimes has and turning him into a player that will be a key contributor for us in 2020.

And given the returns we are already seeing on our young receivers I like Simon's chances of taking whatever raw skills Grimes has and turning him into a player that will be a key contributor for us in 2020.

I would agree that recent results would provide reason for optimism.

I would agree that recent results would provide reason for optimism.

Yes, and Grimes appears to have the physical tools to work with.

Minnesota is a great place for WRs with talent to climb the ladder to greatness. We coach up WRs very well. Fleck is going to send a steady stream of WRs to the NFL.

Minnesota is a great place for WRs with talent to climb the ladder to greatness. We coach up WRs very well. Fleck is going to send a steady stream of WRs to the NFL.

If there is one thing I trust Fleck with its WRs.

Daniel’s analysis was from his Jr year in high school, his first year playing receiver. He played safety as a sophomore, QB as a senior. Agree he has a lot of potential and will benefit from new coaches and new surroundings and more practice time but surely he’s progressed at least some from 2015. Probably the only ones that can really give a good assessment would be USC insiders/practice attendees. I’m still not sure about the 4.39 but we’ll find out if he can run away from DBs in 2020.

That's where I got the scouting report fyi.

If our Offensive Line remain the improved version towards the end of the season and the bowl game, adding Grimes to the WR fold will enrich our already good receiving threat.

We need all the help to stretch the field and open up the running game, and help make it difficult for opposing defenses.

Maybe the Gophers are getting a reputation for player development. If you are a player buried in the depth chart of one of the Power 5 elite schools, you'd come to Minnesota to get the coaching to improve your skills or to be a starter with hopefully higher visibility from the Pros.

You gotta love Gopher fans. They can turn any rainbow into a shiitpile.

That at least applies to Gopherholers...it's questionable (and I'd say unlikely) as to whether they are all Gopher fans, though.

Sorry, thought this said we were getting Rick Grimes.

If our Offensive Line remain the improved version towards the end of the season and the bowl game, adding Grimes to the WR fold will enrich our already good receiving threat.

We need all the help to stretch the field and open up the running game, and help make it difficult for opposing defenses.

Maybe the Gophers are getting a reputation for player development. If you are a player buried in the depth chart of one of the Power 5 elite schools, you'd come to Minnesota to get the coaching to improve your skills or to be a starter with hopefully higher visibility from the Pros.

Doubt we are to that point yet but that would be an awesome reputation to develop. 1-2 transfers a year to help fill gaps on the roster and keep things moving forward.

Still had a better career here than Hayo.

A lot of posts in this thread did not age well...

Eh. Not real worried about it based on what we’ve seen from our guys thus far

Someone on the twitter said it was a mutual decision. Not sure if true though.

well we know we were short on schollies. So could have been us.

He said he expects to be eligible at UNLV in 2019. I recall he was going to sit out at Minnesota this fall. Sounds a lot like the Juwan Mitchell situation - would rather find somewhere to play this year than sit out a year at Minnesota.
This is something PJ might need to think about a little more in the future when offering scholarships to transfers and JUCOs. We better start a new thread discussing how terrible Fleck is at this too...or, how great he is at finding diamonds in the rough.

He said he expects to be eligible at UNLV in 2019. I recall he was going to sit out at Minnesota this fall. Sounds a lot like the Juwan Mitchell situation - would rather find somewhere to play this year than sit out a year at Minnesota.
This is something PJ might need to think about a little more in the future when offering scholarships to transfers and JUCOs. We better start a new thread discussing how terrible Fleck is at this too...or, how great he is at finding diamonds in the rough.

I wish I could go sit out on scholarship at the U....

Tough to fault a guy if he is going to be able to play right away as opposed to sitting out. Don't really think the coaches need to rethink their philosophy. If you were recruiting a guy you knew was going to have to sit out a year then it is not someone you were counting on to make an immediate impact. Shame to lose out on the future potential but plenty of time to come up with another option that could end up being just as good or even better.

Top Bottom