Gophers receive a commitment from USC transfer WR Randal Grimes

Will gladly role the dice on any receiver good enough to get an offer from USC given who they have churned out at that position over the years. Basically zero risk on our part for a potentially huge reward if he pans out. Welcome aboard!

Is that a sarcasm font you used?
I was just saying if we are playing the hope game, why not hope for Morgan instead of Clark? Who cares who the QB is as long as they are successful.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I was just saying if we are playing the hope game, why not hope for Morgan instead of Clark? Who cares who the QB is as long as they are successful.

Because the guy we haven’t seen play is ALWAYS better than those we have.

Fields' sister, also a varsity athlete at Georgia, apparently isn't bothered by the terrible environment there.

My comment was more along questioning Morgan being a Heisman candidate. I don’t think we have a QB on our roster that will be a Heisman candidate next year. So it wasn’t a sarcastic font you were using but a ‘hope’ font. Got it!

My comment was more along questioning Morgan being a Heisman candidate. <b>I don’t think we have a QB on our roster that will be a Heisman candidate next year</b>. So it wasn’t a sarcastic font you were using but a ‘hope’ font. Got it!

Such a “fan”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are very very very few players that are 6'4 and run 4.39 40s. If he ran a legit 4.39 he would have seen the field at USC

There's only like 10 players in the entire NFL combine that go sub 4.4 each year.

There are very very very few players that are 6'4 and run 4.39 40s. If he ran a legit 4.39 he would have seen the field at USC

Daniel House tweeted this: "A person who has worked with him told me his fastest 40-time is 4.39 and that he fits the 4.39-4.44 range."
So it seems he does have that type of speed at 6'4"

Daniel House tweeted this: "A person who has worked with him told me his fastest 40-time is 4.39 and that he fits the 4.39-4.44 range."

I'm sure they said that. You can basically add on .2 to any hand timed 40. I'm not saying he isn't fast, I'm saying if he were to run an electrically timed 40 it wouldn't be sub 4.45

I'm sure they said that. You can basically add on .2 to any hand timed 40. I'm not saying he isn't fast, I'm saying if he were to run an electrically timed 40 it wouldn't be sub 4.45

That's true, although some train their 40's with laser timers so I would like to know if it's for sure hand timed. Either way he's big, fast and he's a Gopher so I'm excited.

That's true, although some train their 40's with laser timers so I would like to know if it's for sure hand timed. Either way he's big, fast and he's a Gopher so I'm excited.

Last part sums it up for me, I have never gotten the obsession over fractions of a second in a 40 yard dash that is run without pads on as it relates to college players. I get it a little more at the NFL level when they are going to invest millions in a player but at the college level I will take big, fast, with good hands (hopefully) at receiver anytime regardless of what the stopwatch says on their 40.

Last part sums it up for me, I have never gotten the obsession over fractions of a second in a 40 yard dash that is run without pads on as it relates to college players. I get it a little more at the NFL level when they are going to invest millions in a player but at the college level I will take big, fast, with good hands (hopefully) at receiver anytime regardless of what the stopwatch says on their 40.

Exactly, hopefully he just pans out a little better than other big and fast guys we've had like Isiah Gentry and Melvin Holland. But we have an actual reciever coach now so i'm pretty optimistic.

Such a “fan”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just keeping it real. Look at what the 2018 Heisman QB candidates did. Trevor Lawrence wasn’t even in contention. Being real doesn’t make me a non-fan. I think we’ll have a very good team next year but I don’t think we’ll have a QB Heisman candidate.

Even USC cannot afford to lose a guy with his size that runs 4.4-ish so either something else is lacking in terms of physicality (ie stone hands) or off the field stuff wrecked his future at USC. Personally I’m a bit skeptical of the 4.39 talk. He doesn’t have to have elite speed to be effective if everything else checks out.

Even USC cannot afford to lose a guy with his size that runs 4.4-ish so either something else is lacking in terms of physicality (ie stone hands) or off the field stuff wrecked his future at USC. Personally I’m a bit skeptical of the 4.39 talk. He doesn’t have to have elite speed to be effective if everything else checks out.
I'd venture a guess and say it is more likely that he thought he'd have a better opportunity at the U of M.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Always wise to be skeptical with JC guys and transfers however there doesn't necessarily have to be a red flag there. USC recruits great players at the WR position and he could very well just be buried enough on the depth chart that he felt a change of scenery would do him good and he like what he saw us building here at WR.

The overhaul and transformation of the WR position that has taken place over the past 2 years is nothing short of amazing. WR was a massive black hole around here, awesome to see it becoming a position of strength.

Always wise to be skeptical with JC guys and transfers however there doesn't necessarily have to be a red flag there. USC recruits great players at the WR position and he could very well just be buried enough on the depth chart that he felt a change of scenery would do him good and he like what he saw us building here at WR.

The overhaul and transformation of the WR position that has taken place over the past 2 years is nothing short of amazing. WR was a massive black hole around here, awesome to see it becoming a position of strength.

I agree with everything that was said here!

I've appreciated the many positive posts. I'm hoping for a spirited competition between Grimes and Adim-Madumere to succeed Tyler Johnson. Since I'm hoping that Jacob Clark is the QB by then, I want great targets. What struck me most about Grimes' commitment is that, even after Johnson leaves, the Gophers will have something I've never seen before with the Gophers---quality WR depth. I really like the 2019 WR additions including Grimes, and the 2020 targets.

Adim-Magumere is already 226lbs in HS, I doubt he will play Tyler Johnson's spot. Different body type, different skill set.

He apparently runs a 4.39 40

Just an fyi: Take High School 40 times with a massive grain of salt. I'm sure someone beat me to it, but if he ran a legit 4.39 it would make him one of the fastest guys in the NFL combine. He probably runs a 4.49 and that's still plenty fast.

He was an elite athlete, recruited to play WR at USC. A project. USC recruited over him & landed some future NFL guys. He was stuck.

The scouting report is he needs to work on technique, route running and blocking. Pretty standard for a project. USC has no time for this type of player apparently, but we do.

Top Bottom