Sid: Something P.J. Fleck can’t be looking forward to: opening 2021 season vs Ohio St

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Something P.J. Fleck can’t be looking forward to: In 2021, the Gophers football team will open the season on Sept. 4 with Ohio State at home. The Gophers follow that up with nonconference games vs. Miami (Ohio) and Bowling Green at home and travel to Colorado. That’s got to be one of the toughest schedules to start the season they have had in a long time.

http://www.startribune.com/sid-hart...hallenge-on-budget-game-attendance/504271672/

Go Gophers!!

I disagree Sid. I’m looking forward to that game and I’ll bet PJ is too. Gophers are getting better and there isn’t a better time than week one to take out the Buckeyes!!

Thumb tack this one because I’m picking a Gopher win!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree Sid. I’m looking forward to that game and I’ll bet PJ is too. Gophers are getting better and there isn’t a better time than week one to take out the Buckeyes!!

Thumb tack this one because I’m picking a Gopher win!!!

Sure, but you are ignoring Miami (Ohio) and Bowling Green to follow.

Give me 10:1 odds and I’ll put $$$ down that the 2021 opener will be the College GameDay location.

That'll be year 5 for PJ right? Hopefully, that will be a good battle.

All joking aside .... how on earth did this come to be????

Why would there ever be a Big Ten conference game on the first week of the season? Stupid

Rematch of 2020 Big Ten Championship game

Will Jacob Clark be at the helm? What about the Offensive Line? Will Faalele chose to bolt to the NFL early? What will the Gophers Defense look like? The running and passing game - what will the caliber of WRs, TE's, and RBs be like? Lots of questions.

The one obvious answer is we hope that PJ Fleck continues to improve recruiting even better than it is now because that will be the ticket.

I could be way, way off in my prediction (goes without saying) but I see Ohio State making the same mistake USC did by trying to “keep it in the family” rather than going out and getting a proven winner (itself not foolproof- see Michigan). Promoting a guy to HC that has never served long-term as a coordinator, or a head coach at any level is a gamble. It’s very likely he doesn’t have the overall acumen of Meyer, the talent assessment skills, or leadership skills.

Maybe it works out and Ohio State maintains it’s very consistent excellence under Day but I see a step back coming if not this year then the next few as Urb’s more senior players and other coaches move on. This coincides with 2021 and hopefully Day’s seat is cranking up in warmth at that point.

Rematch of 2020 Big Ten Championship game

Rematch of the big 10 championship where the gophers ran all over them and won by 20.

The only question is did they get the other 30,000 seats added on to TCF in time.

Saturday game too...not Thursday evening.

No Labor Day trip to the cabin for the Billds that year..

Maybe OSU will be the ones not looking forward to opening the season against Minnesota! I would rather get them first thing in the season while some the the summer rust is still hanging on them.

It will be a great win to open our season. Woot woot

Maybe OSU will be the ones not looking forward to opening the season against Minnesota! I would rather get them first thing in the season while some the the summer rust is still hanging on them.

I agree. They are a conference opponent and have to play them sometimes. I would rather catch a juggernaut like that in the first game when powerhouses often have a sluggish start.

Ohio State benches 4* guys - they have more depth than the Gophers. The first game is when a depth advantage means the least.

This future match-up got me to thinking about the 2015 Gophers-TCU game at TCF. Both teams came ready to play and it was a hard-hitting affair. Several injuries for both teams if I remember correct.

In retrospect I always thought that both teams paid the rest of the season for the hard-hitting performance that first game. Not predicting anything other than noting these REALLY BIG first contests (in this case for the Gophers) can impact the rest of the season if important players go down.

Should be a lot of hype going into that one...

2023! Yikes!

At NC State, OSU, Iowa, NU, PU and home games Michigan, MSU then the rest of the BIG West.

2023! Yikes!

At NC State, OSU, Iowa, NU, PU and home games Michigan, MSU then the rest of the BIG West.

Yeah, that year is not a friendly one. It's at North Carolina, not NC State, but it's still hard. OSU only comes up twice between now through 2025.

2024 looks nicer with MSU, Maryland, and Indiana as the draw. But who knows how good teams will be by then.

I could be way, way off in my prediction (goes without saying) but I see Ohio State making the same mistake USC did by trying to “keep it in the family” rather than going out and getting a proven winner (itself not foolproof- see Michigan). Promoting a guy to HC that has never served long-term as a coordinator, or a head coach at any level is a gamble. It’s very likely he doesn’t have the overall acumen of Meyer, the talent assessment skills, or leadership skills.

Maybe it works out and Ohio State maintains it’s very consistent excellence under Day but I see a step back coming if not this year then the next few as Urb’s more senior players and other coaches move on. This coincides with 2021 and hopefully Day’s seat is cranking up in warmth at that point.

Day was Meyer's handpicked replacement. And Day lead the team during Meyer's suspension. I think it was all but chiseled in stone that Day would take over when Meyer stepped down. This was all probably worked out behind closed doors during the scandal fallout.

None of that proves or disproves your points. Just sayin

Maybe, but Clemson and Oklahoma made similar hires and it's working out for them.

2021...coming off our 2020 Rose Bowl team...we'll be 4-0 with that schedule.

Maybe, but Clemson and Oklahoma made similar hires and it's working out for them.

It’s very rare for any coach to have Meyer’s level of success. Day has all the advantages of a helmet school so his chances are higher than the average new head coach but far from guaranteed. I never said a continuation of success and national title runs was was impossible. Meyer leaving does increase the odds of other schools moving up IMO.

Top Bottom