Coyle says U has to get very creative & innovative to get season ticket sales up

I have some vague memory that local residents in the neighborhoods around the campus made a big stink about noise and hijinks during events, and as a result the school cracked down on some of the activities - frat parties, etc. Also seem to remember that city officials exerted some pressure on the U to tone down the goings-on.

the net affect was a pretty sterile game-day atmosphere.

My recollection matches the above, except that the moves were not to "tone down": or crack down any anything fun that developed and started to get out of hand, the U of M and the City of Minneapolis together just crushed everything before it even got started.

Classic Joel Maturi moment, but in fairness to him, he was way too weak, and completely lacking in the needed charisma, stubbornness and vision to rally any support as AD to change any of this when it went down.

There were a few private lots (small, low impact) that tried to make a little extra money with a few tailgaters, and the City sent out spies with cameras to document their transgressions and shut them down by the middle of year one.

True government tyranny at work, inspectors (probably making $60 an hour overtime pay an a Saturday)hiding behind a hedge to take pictures of a person having a beer in a parking only lot, so the city can stop a immigrant owned small business from making a little extra money and being part of U of M/ Gopher sports. nice

Last edited:

I have some vague memory that local residents in the neighborhoods around the campus made a big stink about noise and hijinks during events, and as a result the school cracked down on some of the activities - frat parties, etc. Also seem to remember that city officials exerted some pressure on the U to tone down the goings-on.

the net affect was a pretty sterile game-day atmosphere.

My recollection matches the above, except that the moves were not to "tone down": or crack down any anything fun that developed and started to get out of hand, the U of M and the City of Minneapolis together just crushed everything before it even got started.

Classic Joel Maturi moment, but in fairness to him, he was way too weak, and completely lacking in the needed charisma, stubbornness and vision to rally any support as AD to change any of this when it went down.

There were a few private lots (small, low impact) that tried to make a little extra money with a few tailgaters, and the City sent out spies with cameras to document their transgressions and shut them down by the middle of year one.

True government tyranny at work, inspectors (probably making $60 an hour overtime pay an a Saturday)hiding behind a hedge to take pictures of a person having a beer in a parking only lot, so the city can stop a immigrant owned small business from making a little extra money and being part of U of M/ Gopher sports. nice

If you want somebody to blame then you need to start with the people who live in the neighborhoods that surround the U. The neighborhood associations that represent them have almost complete veto power over development and public activities that occur within their neighborhoods. If anything requires a city permit the residents are going to have their input and it will be taken seriously if their city council members know whats good for them. Their jobs depend upon it. The game day atmosphere at Gopher football games means very little to them when they are fighting for every possible vote to help them get re-elected.

Last edited:

The U of M has much more power than those NIMBY Xholes. They U always has had that power, but has backed off in the last 40 years, but times are changing and although Cruze's point had some validity in 2009, the worm has turned. The City is backing off now as well, as they like the tax revenue and the new young residents are not getting pushed to the back but are taking on the old NIMBY turds (Neighborhood Councils) The old NIMBYS got used to assuming that the younger residents would never show up and be heard.

If those NIMBY turds in Prospect Park still had nearly the power Cruze suggests, there would not be a giant vertical apartment building (with the FreshTyme grocery store) at the light rail station, and a bunch of massive high density changes in the neighborhood. All the liquor law changes in Minneapolis never would have happened if the old bats still ruled the roost.

These are all great days for the corridor from Cretin-Van all the way to TCF Bank stadium, as new residents with money flow in. The whining neighborhood types are starting to lose, as everyone just found out in Saint Paul near St. Thomas after the new council member crushed all resistance to progress against the will of the NIMBYs.

The same thing happened in Highland Park as well with all the old dinosaurs carping about 'density", even though most will be dead by the time much anything major gets finished at the old Ford site. There was a great story about he insurrection in Highland and the reversal of the NIMBY movement there.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...of-8-open-seats-on-highland-district-council/

Last edited:

The U of M has much more power than those NIMBY Xholes.

If those NIMBY turds in Prospect Park had nearly the power Cruze suggests, there would not be a giant vertical apartment building (with the FreshTyme grocery store) at the light rail station, and a bunch of massive high density changes in the neighborhood.

These are all great days for the corridor from Cretin-Van all the way to TCF Bank stadium, as new residents with money flow in. The whining neighborhood types are starting to lose, as everyone just found out in Saint Paul near St. Thomas after the new council member crushed all resistance to progress against the will of the NIMBYs.

You never hear about all the proposed commercial building projects that never see the light of day because of neighborhood objections. There are dozens of them in both Mpls and St. Paul every year. And by comparison tailgaiting is an easy issue for neighborhood associations to exercise control over because it involves safety, noise, and other public nuisance issues.

Last edited:

You never hear about all the proposed commercial building projects that never see the light of day because of neighborhood objections. There are dozens of them in both Mpls and St. Paul every year. And by comparison tailgaiting is an easy issue for neighborhood associations to exercise control over because it involves safety, noise, and other public nuisance issues.

Wrong, these activist NIMBYs are getting shot down all the time by new leaders in the city.

The other side just needs to show up and make a case, which the U of M and other stakeholders involved have not always weighed in on an organized and coherent manner.

The recent high value commercial taxpayers and upper income residents that want to have change in the restrictive rules will have a lot more behind them than the poor immigrant business owner that wanted to let us have a few beers in his lot so he could park 10 cars and make 200 dollars. (maybe I would have grabbed a take out order post game 0 we all lost out - NIMBYS and U of M did not care at ll)

The likes of Phyllis Kahn are no longer calling the shots in Minneapolis.

Last edited:

The U of M has much more power than those NIMBY Xholes. They U always has had that power, but has backed off in the last 40 years, but times are changing and although Cruze's point had some validity in 2009, the worm has turned. The City is backing off now as well, as they like the tax revenue and the new young residents are not getting pushed to the back but are taking on the old NIMBY turds (Neighborhood Councils) The old NIMBYS got used to assuming that the younger residents would never show up and be heard.

If those NIMBY turds in Prospect Park still had nearly the power Cruze suggests, there would not be a giant vertical apartment building (with the FreshTyme grocery store) at the light rail station, and a bunch of massive high density changes in the neighborhood. All the liquor law changes in Minneapolis never would have happened if the old bats still ruled the roost.

The same thing happened in Highland Park as well with all the old dinosaurs carping about 'density", even though most will be dead by the time much anything major gets finished at the old Ford site. There was a great story about he insurrection in Highland and the reversal of the NIMBY movement there.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/...of-8-open-seats-on-highland-district-council/

That new high rise (with the Fresh Thyme), I believe is part of a big master plan to develop that whole strip of road that goes from the light rail station all the way to that street where you turn to go to Surly, as some kind of "experimental" (not sure if that's the right word) green community, or something like that. I recall reading something along those lines, I would have to search for it I guess.

Anyway, I'm on your side for the most part. I'm pro-development and pro-density.

I don't recall if any final decisions have been made, but I hope the new light rail that is going to be built between the airport and downtown St Paul will have a spur that goes through the new Ford development.

Lotta discussion here.... not sure if anyone really knows if / what / anything happened...

Top Bottom