Coyle says U has to get very creative & innovative to get season ticket sales up

Has anyone mentioned the possibility of lowering ticket prices? Seems easy to me...

That's not "creative".

"Creative" means: do something that increases STH, while keeping ticket revenue at a minimum neutral but ideally also increasing, and also try to increase overall attendance, if possible.

Anyone found that silver bullet yet??

That's not "creative".

"Creative" means: do something that increases STH, while keeping ticket revenue at a minimum neutral but ideally also increasing, and also try to increase overall attendance, if possible.

Yeah, win the Big Ten for 3 years in a row.

That's not "creative".

Buy 3 pizzas, get season tickets?

Maybe they should just avoid fervently eradicating any signs of organic life that emerge on gamedays. The Sally’s Walnut street gameday block party being shut-down is a great example of that policy in action.

How about doing what The Athletic, Slate Plus, NYT, and many other paywall websites do.

Lower first year subscription rates. Get new season ticket holders at an introductory rate, with the knowledge is that they would pay the full rate the second year.

How about doing what The Athletic, Slate Plus, NYT, and many other paywall websites do.

Lower first year subscription rates. Get new season ticket holders at an introductory rate, with the knowledge is that they would pay the full rate the second year.

I feel like that would just turn into gaming the system. I'd get season tickets.... then someone else buy them for me... kinda wonky.

If anything it should go the other way, my season tickets are 71 years old so I should get 71% off! (yeah I know that wouldn't make sense)

I feel like that would just turn into gaming the system. I'd get season tickets.... then someone else buy them for me... kinda wonky.

If anything it should go the other way, my season tickets are 71 years old so I should get 71% off! (yeah I know that wouldn't make sense)

"Die hard night. Free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time we were in a Rose Bowl."

I was suggesting creating an extra cheap (maybe about 2,000 of the worst seats) category of season tickets for a much cheaper rate (maybe $20 a ticket) to get some new blood. Those people may eventually want to upgrade and get more expensive seats. Not exactly what you were saying, but kind of along those lines.

I used to get wrapped up in the attendance stuff to a much higher degree than I do now. I admit I still occasionally read through the threads about attendance and on occasion still comment in them. I really hope this gets solved and the stadium is once again full. I typically post the same stuff all the time on the subject and although I have cut way back on the sh|ts I give about it - I still have room to improve. I'm hoping 2019 is the year I finally quit visiting these attendance threads completely. We'll see. I still care, but it has been frustrating to read the same points of view over and over (including mine) and although I still glance around at th empty seats when I am at games, I did a lot less of that this season.

I used to get wrapped up in the attendance stuff to a much higher degree than I do now. I admit I still occasionally read through the threads about attendance and on occasion still comment in them. I really hope this gets solved and the stadium is once again full. I typically post the same stuff all the time on the subject and although I have cut way back on the sh|ts I give about it - I still have room to improve. I'm hoping 2019 is the year I finally quit visiting these attendance threads completely. We'll see. I still care, but it has been frustrating to read the same points of view over and over (including mine) and although I still glance around at th empty seats when I am at games, I did a lot less of that this season.

For Christmas Mrs. Billd gave me a 1000-piece puzzle of the panoramic picture taken of the TCF opener between the Gophers and the Air Force Academy. I received the commemorative photo that season and still have it squirreled away somewhere. The puzzle is that exact same photo.

In the meantime she's been putting it together and is down to the last 50 pieces or so...of course the hardest ones to place.

My "hat's of to thee" to her and her willingness to do puzzles, even Gopher ones. Probably more relevant to the thread was the buzz...no...excitement...in TCF that very first night. We've seen it again several times...but like Schnauzer noted it will be fantastic if and when we're like that first night again attendance wise on a regular basis...

Until then the Billds have the puzzle to remind us of what that's like...at least until it goes back into the box....

Maybe they should just avoid fervently eradicating any signs of organic life that emerge on gamedays. The Sally’s Walnut street gameday block party being shut-down is a great example of that policy in action.

+1

Trying to cultivate a real tailgating atmosphere would also help. Instead, they have too many rules and policies and they sell spots in a way guaranteed to prevent a real gameday atmosphere from developing. That would be something you cant get on your couch at home.

I am still trying to understand how the U of M is trying to charge Iowa or Wisconsin prices rather than Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern or Purdue type prices for tickets, considering the on field results over the last 25-30 years.

They should be doing everything to full up the stadium, and then when the wins follow they can deal with the challenge of jacking up the prices without losing too many people.

I am not surprised to hear that Sally's block party was killed. Who did this? The City of Minneapolis or the U of M? I'd like to hear more about this.

Didn't Sally's get in trouble not too long ago for underage drinking?

Having 18-20 year olds in college, and having the drinking age be 21, is always going to be an impossible nut to crack.

Having 18-20 year olds in college, and having the drinking age be 21, is always going to be an impossible nut to crack.

Which is why the drinking age should change.

I am not surprised to hear that Sally's block party was killed. Who did this? The City of Minneapolis or the U of M? I'd like to hear more about this.

might have to do with the giant monstrosity of an apartment building they built on top of it.

Which is why the drinking age should change.

Or we change the age of adulthood to be 21, and force kids to go to high school and live with their parents until they're 21. :cool:

I'm sure that would fly, ha!

Think it was Sterbs that got in trouble.

I think g4l has the buildings mixed up. Big Ten bar was where the new high-rise was built.

The building above Sally's is about 6 stories tall. The one where Big Ten used to be is taller - maybe 10 or 12 stories.

The building above Sally's is about 6 stories tall. The one where Big Ten used to be is taller - maybe 10 or 12 stories.

Meant to respond to t-docious but that's what I posted...that the one replacing Big Ten was much taller. It's almost 30 stories.

Right it’s taller than Moos. Would guess easily 20-30 stories. That was why I responded, to the idea that the apt building above the new Sally’s is a giant monstrosity.

Recruit more food trucks...especially breakfast offerings for 11 AM starts...

Recruit more food trucks...especially breakfast offerings for 11 AM starts...

Agree...expand to food truck row or alley right on Oak Street. Not sure how it works now...if the food trucks pay a fee to the U or not.

Right it’s taller than Moos. Would guess easily 20-30 stories. That was why I responded, to the idea that the apt building above the new Sally’s is a giant monstrosity.

• 30 stories would make it about half the height of the IDS building.

• Side note...On Google Maps street view you can stand on Washington and look at Sally's, and then "travel" to the west a bit and still see the Big Ten. Weird that in a major US city with a huge campus they're that far behind. But, I'm guessing the Subaru just ran out of gas.

• As far as ticket sales...
- Lower the ticket prices (because amazingly a lot of people are unaware of websites like StubHub, etc.)
- Lower the extra charges for season ticket holders
- Just win.
(There, I tried to stay on-topic with the thread)

Last edited:

Top Bottom