Coyle says U has to get very creative & innovative to get season ticket sales up

It's a public institution, built with public dollars, whose operation is dependent on more public dollars.

Access to events in its publicly funded stadium should be affordable to as broad a swath of the public as possible.

Is that a difficult concept to understand?

JTG

It's a public institution, built with public dollars, whose operation is dependent on more public dollars.

Access to events in its publicly funded stadium should be affordable to as broad a swath of the public as possible.

JTG

You want scholarships based on need for sporting events or something?

I feel like you're trying to cram some general concept square peg into the round hole that is .... sports / entertainment .... this/=not that.

The University of Minnesota's budget is funded 17.3% through public dollars, and the athletics department is virtually entirely self-funded.

And when the University voluntarily forgoes athletics revenue so that cheapskates can get through the gates - you're not going to complain when they lag competitively behind their peers, right?

Cheapskates? You're hilarious.

No, carry on. Everything is working just fine the way it is.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Do you think that reverting prices back to the 2015 level would have that much of an impact? Coyle dropped the 3rd step of the price increase so there was only one more after 2015. That second step added $75 per ticket for my seats, obviously different for other zones, but I don't think dropping the prices $10 per game, in my zone, is going to be enough to get people to buy tickets. I know that many will now comment that they "told" us the price increase was a mistake and were going to drive fans away. I also think it was a mistake, I have never defended the donation seating. But these are the prices. The U is in a tough position, because how do they compete with a $25 ticket on stubhub that goes unsold?

They need revenue. I have a friend who is a coordinator for a D1 football team. When the donation seating started I was complaining about the stupid price increase. He told me that first a program needs money and then if they have the right coach and system they can have sustained success. The right coach and the right system will not have prolonged success without a solid finances for the program. I didn't and still don't like the donation seating, but that conversation has made it easier for me to renew.

Cheapskates? You're hilarious.

No, carry on. Everything is working just fine the way it is.

Yes, people who bitch about the price of something because it should be made cheaper to suit their budget are cheapskates. Outside of a select few who are financially independent, the rest of us can't have everything we want. We all have to make choices and sacrifice things that we would like. Sorry that I had to be the one to break this news to you.

If you can't afford Gophers football season tickets, then don't buy them. This isn't a tough concept for anyone to understand outside of this message board.

Do you think that reverting prices back to the 2015 level would have that much of an impact? Coyle dropped the 3rd step of the price increase so there was only one more after 2015. That second step added $75 per ticket for my seats, obviously different for other zones, but I don't think dropping the prices $10 per game, in my zone, is going to be enough to get people to buy tickets. I know that many will now comment that they "told" us the price increase was a mistake and were going to drive fans away. I also think it was a mistake, I have never defended the donation seating. But these are the prices. The U is in a tough position, because how do they compete with a $25 ticket on stubhub that goes unsold?

They need revenue. I have a friend who is a coordinator for a D1 football team. When the donation seating started I was complaining about the stupid price increase. He told me that first a program needs money and then if they have the right coach and system they can have sustained success. The right coach and the right system will not have prolonged success without a solid finances for the program. I didn't and still don't like the donation seating, but that conversation has made it easier for me to renew.

So basically we have to have a half empty stadium so that we can pay the bills?

What would it take for you to "put up" with attending a game? It seems that price has nothing to do with it.

I do attend a couple, believe it or not. Do not have season tix, though.

My point was that Vandy seems to be exactly the type of ppl that Coyle and staff need to bust their rears to 1) retain and 2) try like heck to convince to come back (if recently left).

they need a pricing system that generates the most revenue.

100% correct ... but you did say that attendance levels are a problem.

Now, I think that all the factors combined against us in 2018. The freezing cold and the performance of the team up and including the Illinois game, plus I would say Purdue and NW are two of the least “interesting” Big West opponents ... people said “sorry not going” to the last two home games, and they were abysmal attendance. Game before was Friday night in the rain vs Indiana, another “bad” opponent for people caring. Iowa homecoming was obviously good. Then non-conf was two non traditional days and/or times plus a scorching hot day, and three unfamiliar/low-level opponents.

Recipe for disaster.

I'd say both. Right now they have a team that appears to be on the rise. I don't think cutting its budget is a wise decision for its future.

I think they could get some new fans by offering a lower price season ticket package, maybe for just the top rows, for example. Maybe some day those fans upgrade into higher price seats.
If the price was right, I'd probably buy back in and not care about all the games I have to miss because of my kids' activities.

JTG[/QUO

Donations payed more for the stadium than the state did. The stadium has been profitable. Ticket to all events are affordable to the broad swath of cry babies.

JTG

You can get tickets for cheap on the secondary market yet people still aren't showing up.

It never seems to sink in....

I don't think that it doesn't sink in. I think everyone realizes that there are cheap seats on Stub Hub. The difference is that there are some of us that believe if you can lower season ticket prices, and get people to commit to 7 games, attendance will be higher. It's much easier to shrug off a one-time cheap ticket deal if you haven't made that commitment. If you are a season ticket holder you are more likely to be paying close attention to the team and attending those 7 games, even if the weather gets a little dicey.

This team is improving and getting really fun to watch on offense. Let's get some new people to buy into season tickets and become loyal, 5+ year season ticket holders.

100% correct ... but you did say that attendance levels are a problem.

Now, I think that all the factors combined against us in 2018. The freezing cold and the performance of the team up and including the Illinois game, plus I would say Purdue and NW are two of the least “interesting” Big West opponents ... people said “sorry not going” to the last two home games, and they were abysmal attendance. Game before was Friday night in the rain vs Indiana, another “bad” opponent for people caring. Iowa homecoming was obviously good. Then non-conf was two non traditional days and/or times plus a scorching hot day, and three unfamiliar/low-level opponents.

Recipe for disaster.

yes 15K attendance is a problem, but the solution to that problem cannot be to cut revenue which will only create more problems.

I don't think that it doesn't sink in. I think everyone realizes that there are cheap seats on Stub Hub. The difference is that there are some of us that believe if you can lower season ticket prices, and get people to commit to 7 games, attendance will be higher. It's much easier to shrug off a one-time cheap ticket deal if you haven't made that commitment. If you are a season ticket holder you are more likely to be paying close attention to the team and attending those 7 games, even if the weather gets a little dicey.

This team is improving and getting really fun to watch on offense. Let's get some new people to buy into season tickets and become loyal, 5+ year season ticket holders.

I just have trouble believing that there is this ravenous mob, or even small mob waiting to buy season tickets who just can't be bothered to buy ultra cheep tickets on stubhub.

College football isn't a commodity like self-sealing stem bolts where if you drop the price sales go up just because folks will buy whatever is cheaper.

When the wins come, the New Years Day bowls come more often, and etc, folks will come, but that's about it.

You’re probably exactly the type of person the AD should be interviewing to gain insight on why you “put up” with going to the stadium. Depending where in Anoka county you live, could be 45mjn-2hrs round trip drive time, plus waiting to get into and out of a parking spot, plus getting into the stadium and to your seats, getting back to your vehicle, and sitting in the upper deck for $1240 per year. And having to deal with the weather (was a doozy this past season) and the game day/times (one Thurs night, one Fri night, and one Sat night, instead of the usual Sat 11am or 230pm).

On paper at least, it seems like there should be no way that you would go through all that vs. just watching on TV from the comfort of your living room. Could buy a really nice TV, new sofa, etc. for that kind of money over a few years.

So why do you do it??

Thanks. This is the broken record of "excuses" for not attending. I don't "put up" with any of the stuff you listed. No one should have the expectation to show up right before kick-off and leave immediately after (or sooner) and expect to breeze in and out. This is the same group that gripes about the game day atmosphere and tailgating.

I have always gotten there 1-2 hours early to maybe take in some tailgating (I just bring something to pass (craft beer) or join the 2-3 tailgaters I've met over the years), check out the marching band, visit the plaza area, visit the alumni center, grab some food, etc. I also stay 1-2 hours (or more) after and do the same. It is what you make it.

I just have trouble believing that there is this ravenous mob, or even small mob waiting to buy season tickets who just can't be bothered to buy ultra cheep tickets on stubhub.

College football isn't a commodity like self-sealing stem bolts where if you drop the price sales go up just because folks will buy whatever is cheaper.

When the wins come, the New Years Day bowls come more often, and etc, folks will come, but that's about it.

I bet if they did some aggressive marketing right after the Axe win or the bowl game win, with some really good deals on season tickets they would have had some takers. Instead they sent out an email with the same prices they have always had.

If it works for the Twins, why wouldn't it work for the Gophers? The Twins aren't self-sealing stem bolts either.

I do attend a couple, believe it or not. Do not have season tix, though.

My point was that Vandy seems to be exactly the type of ppl that Coyle and staff need to bust their rears to 1) retain and 2) try like heck to convince to come back (if recently left).

I plan on teaching them a “valuable lesson” by waiting until the last moment to renew. ?

I bet if they did some aggressive marketing right after the Axe win or the bowl game win, with some really good deals on season tickets they would have had some takers. Instead they sent out an email with the same prices they have always had.

If it works for the Twins, why wouldn't it work for the Gophers? The Twins aren't self-sealing stem bolts either.

Did it work for the Twins?

I don't get this comparison, I go to Twins games.... it's empty man.

If there is something they're doing right it is getting the Axe exposure, photo ops, heading to other sports.

They should hire me as a full time "take the Axe to every visible place possible" guy.

I'm not sure why you keep using the Twins as an example. They ranked 20th in attendance last year, down from 17th the prior year. It's also interesting that you complain about Gophers pricing and attendance, yet are a big Twins supporter. No team in Minnesota does less to improve their team year after year than the Twins.

I'm also not sure why you think that people who won't commit to 1 game at a cheap price are going to commit to 7 games at a likely higher per game price, even if they reduced season ticket prices.

I'm not sure why you keep using the Twins as an example. They ranked 20th in attendance last year, down from 17th the prior year. It's also interesting that you complain about Gophers pricing and attendance, yet are a big Twins supporter. No team in Minnesota does less to improve their team year after year than the Twins.

I'm also not sure why you think that people who won't commit to 1 game at a cheap price are going to commit to 7 games at a likely higher per game price, even if they reduced season ticket prices.

Considering how bad the Twins have been the last 10 years, 20th in attendance is amazing.

I have Twins season tickets because it's cheap enough where I don't care how successful the team is or if I have to miss a game (which is rare, because the Twins let you exchange tickets).

I agree with your last statement - they would need to drop the season ticket price to equal or less than the Stubhub prices. I am not saying they should do that with all the seats - maybe a few thousand of the worst seats, just to get people in and seeing the product. These are tickets that are not likely being sold by the U anyway.

Top Bottom