Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    The University of Minnesota's budget is funded 17.3% through public dollars, and the athletics department is virtually entirely self-funded.

And when the University voluntarily forgoes athletics revenue so that cheapskates can get through the gates - you're not going to complain when they lag competitively behind their peers, right?

Yes, people who bitch about the price of something because it should be made cheaper to suit their budget are cheapskates. Outside of a select few who are financially independent, the rest of us can't have everything we want. We all have to make choices and sacrifice things that we would like. Sorry that I had to be the one to break this news to you.

If you can't afford Gophers football season tickets, then don't buy them. This isn't a tough concept for anyone to understand outside of this message board.

Yes, that $650 million a year in state dollars is a piddling amount. Hardly worth mentioning, really.

I can't afford Gopher season tickets, so I don't buy them. But please pardon me for attempting to contribute to a discussion on how ticket sales could be increased. Quite thoughtless of me. As someone who is interested in the product but not buying it, what could I possibly add?

Thank you for providing me with this valuable life lesson regarding personal choices. Now, I'll make another one: Never to engage with an insufferable prick like you.

JTG

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Did it work for the Twins?

I don't get this comparison, I go to Twins games.... it's empty man.

If there is something they're doing right it is getting the Axe exposure, photo ops, heading to other sports.

They should hire me as a full time "take the Axe to every visible place possible" guy.
    The Twins averaged 64% capacity last year, in an awful season, one of many awful seasons over the last 10 years. What were the Gophers last season?

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    You can get tickets for cheap on the secondary market yet people still aren't showing up.
    I'm not saying this isn't correct but whenever I look at stubhub 3 days to a couple weeks out the prices are grossly inflated. When do they drop to these "cheap" levels? Is it the day before or day of? I'd be interested to see some stats on that.

I will say though, that comparing unsold tickets on a secondary market that only become affordable 0-1 days before an event with zero advertising is not comparable to a ticket going unsold on the primary market that has (presumably) an entire marketing department and athletic department pushing their sales year round.

I don't care if tickets are for sale for $25 on stubhub and not being sold, I guarantee you that if the University marketed it for that price the sales would fare better.

Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    Yes, that $650 million a year in state dollars is a piddling amount. Hardly worth mentioning, really.

I can't afford Gopher season tickets, so I don't buy them. But please pardon me for attempting to contribute to a discussion on how ticket sales could be increased. Quite thoughtless of me. As someone who is interested in the product but not buying it, what could I possibly add?

Thank you for providing me with this valuable life lesson regarding personal choices. Now, I'll make another one: Never to engage with an insufferable prick like you.
    Hey, if you don't like your own nonsense being thrown back in your face, don't bring it up. All of your public garbage is just that - garbage. The U of M athletics department will run its operations (including season ticket pricing) the way it sees fit, regardless of how much public funding it receives (which, again, in the case of the athletic department, is virtually nothing).

I'll sit over here being an insufferable prick with my season tickets (every year since TCF was opened, and a few years before that as well), and you can whine some more about how the state's public university doesn't cater to you personally.

I also don't believe that you can't afford season tickets. Not for a second. I very much believe that you choose not to purchase season tickets, and then whine because you really want something given to you at the price you want to pay (next to nothing), and you're powerless to make that happen.
    Last edited by dpodoll68; Yesterday at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    The Twins averaged 64% capacity last year, in an awful season, one of many awful seasons over the last 10 years. What were the Gophers last season?
    64% as far as tickets sold?

And is that ... gud?

You can tell me what the gopher's numbers were if you'd like.

[QUOTE=gopherjay;1674219]
    It's a public institution, built with public dollars, whose operation is dependent on more public dollars.

Access to events in its publicly funded stadium should be affordable to as broad a swath of the public as possible.

Is that a difficult concept to understand?

JTG[/QUO

Donations payed more for the stadium than the state did. The stadium has been profitable. Ticket to all events are affordable to the broad swath of cry babies.
    The state paid 48% of the cost of the $288.5 million stadium.

Blog Entries

JTG
    I think that there is some effort to try to make it feasible for people of most incomes to find a way to get into some games if a person wants to. A number of 3 game packs are usually offered, and single games are often discounted as game days approach.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

You said it was empty. I don't think 64% is empty. That's about 2/3 full. How many Gopher games were 2/3 full this year?

Guess I don't understand why so many people are vehemently arguing for the status quo, empty stadium concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    I think that there is some effort to try to make it feasible for people of most incomes to find a way to get into some games if a person wants to. A number of 3 game packs are usually offered, and single games are often discounted as game days approach.
    Sure, there are different packages. And that's a good thing. But since their prices are based on the full package, which is overpriced, it's not exactly a great thing. But you're right, better than nothing.

JTG

You said it was empty. I don't think 64% is empty. That's about 2/3 full. How many Gopher games were 2/3 full this year?

Guess I don't understand why so many people are vehemently arguing for the status quo, empty stadium concept.
    Games I went to were not 64% full man... it was pretty obvious too.

I bet if we're talking announced numbers or something they're pretty close. Not accurate, but not fair to call someone else's announced numbers and eyeball someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Games I went to were not 64% full man... it was pretty obvious too.

I bet if we're talking announced numbers or something they're pretty close. Not accurate, but not fair to call someone else's announced numbers and eyeball someone else.
    I wasn't talking about eyeball numbers. I would bet the Twins numbers are closer to accurate than the Gophers though. The Gophers should definitely be able to trounce the Twins in % capacity - 7 games vs 81, but they seem to be relatively even in terms of % capacity.

I mostly attend Twins games on Friday and Saturday nights and those games in the summer are usually pretty full. Yes, a cold-weather, weekday Twins game will be empty.

Look - Coyle even admits it's a problem and said they need to get creative. I'm throwing out ideas on how they can get people back.

I'm of the belief that a full stadium is a good thing (for long-term revenue and creating energy around the program) - let's figure out ways (other than just waiting around for the wins to come and people to get back into it) to get people back in the stadium. I doubt it looks very good to recruits when they visit and the stadium is half full.

Not to the extent they should.

I don't think anyone wants the 15K attendance. Speaking from my perspective it seems that anything short of extremely discounted tickets will be met with "not enough" or some other excuse will be made for why people choose to not buy.

Answered back in post #45

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    There are 2 groups on this topic:
    1. Those that understand supply/demand
    2. Those that want to feel better about their decision to pay the U for ST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy