IW

My interest always perks up when IW is on the floor. Especially when he gets an outlet pass, then I say to myself of holler "GO"!

IMO, the Gophers are at their best when they push the ball up the floor, especially IW, Amir and McBryer.

Like other Gophers, IW has his warts. Unlike others, Pitino is quick to single him out and has attached a very short leash.

IMO, IW should get at least 20 mpg and more if he does what RP likes. If he screws up, pull him, coach him and put him back out there. Play him.

PS. I liked the bank shot and wonder if we will see more of that from IW. In 4 BIG games, he has just 1 TO and 10 assists,

My interest always perks up when IW is on the floor. Especially when he gets an outlet pass, then I say to myself of holler "GO"!

IMO, the Gophers are at their best when they push the ball up the floor, especially IW, Amir and McBryer.

Like other Gophers, IW has his warts. Unlike others, Pitino is quick to single him out and has attached a very short leash.

IMO, IW should get at least 20 mpg and more if he does what RP likes. If he screws up, pull him, coach him and put him back out there. Play him.

PS. I liked the bank shot and wonder if we will see more of that from IW. In 4 BIG games, he has just 1 TO and 10 assists,

The banked 3? That was unintentional.

IW is like a striker in MMA who will go toe to toe and either knock out the opponent or get knocked out!

Something happens when he is on the floor, very great, or very bad. It's hard with the pressure Pitino is under to have a successful season, to roll the IW dice when he needs consistency (Wisconsin). I expect playing time against the bottom tier teams.

it is very obvious to me, but maybe not to others, that Pitino sees him practice a lot more than we do...……

he is a liability on the defensive end..no question.

He might be fast, but he is not quick...… Big difference.

I like the kid. He is going to be really good. Like others have said, he is only a Sophomore.

I hope you're kidding. We had a direct line on it and no way was that his intention. Several groans around us when it went up and a couple laughs when it went in.

He's fun at times and it seems like he is trying to do the right things but then screws up. First half he didn't do much on offense but seemed to be working hard on defense when I watched him. He worked like hell to get through multiple screens. Then about a minute later I think Hurt got an offensive rebound and was hemmed in with no one to pass it to. Washington had run back to get on defense as soon as the shot had gone up but basically stood down there when he should have come back to give Hurt the outlet. Pitino let him know it.

Because of his body language, reactions, the flashiness, and most fans' hopes, I think IW is under a bigger magnifying glass than other players. I'm guessing others, especially younger players might make similar mistakes but we don't notice as much. Seems everything he does, is dissected and analyzed. (Says the guy who just described about 3 seconds in detail.)

I don't see top 3. Michigan and Michigan State are top 5 top 10 in the nation material. They are both head and shoulders above the rest. After that...both Maryland and OSU handled us. Top 6 this year would make me happy and get things moving in the right direction.

Pretty sure we were tied or leading for like 75% of the Maryland game, but sure.

I hope you're kidding. We had a direct line on it and no way was that his intention. Several groans around us when it went up and a couple laughs when it went in.

He's fun at times and it seems like he is trying to do the right things but then screws up. First half he didn't do much on offense but seemed to be working hard on defense when I watched him. He worked like hell to get through multiple screens. Then about a minute later I think Hurt got an offensive rebound and was hemmed in with no one to pass it to. Washington had run back to get on defense as soon as the shot had gone up but basically stood down there when he should have come back to give Hurt the outlet. Pitino let him know it.

Because of his body language, reactions, the flashiness, and most fans' hopes, I think IW is under a bigger magnifying glass than other players. I'm guessing others, especially younger players might make similar mistakes but we don't notice as much. Seems everything he does, is dissected and analyzed. (Says the guy who just described about 3 seconds in detail.)

Nope. Not kidding. Maybe the shot was a fluke according to your assumption and eye witness, but maybe not!!

Studies show that bank shots from certain angles and distance have up to a 20% better chance of going in versus the "swish". Maybe, just maybe, IW is working on that.

Back in my day (which was when everyone wore knee pads and had numbers like #8 and #19)), I was worked a lot on the bank shot and once I mastered it, I became a better shooter. Now its pretty much been abandoned in favor of the "swish", except by players driving the lane.

It will be interesting to see if a "bank" is in IW's future.

Pretty sure that is meaningless...

?? Maybe in terms of NET rankings it is worthless, but to say that Maryland is a significantly better or more talented team is just simply not true.

The fact that we led for most of the first half and kept it close until late in the game would support that they are not that much better than us.

Nope. Not kidding. Maybe the shot was a fluke according to your assumption and eye witness, but maybe not!!

Studies show that bank shots from certain angles and distance have up to a 20% better chance of going in versus the "swish". Maybe, just maybe, IW is working on that.

Back in my day (which was when everyone wore knee pads and had numbers like #8 and #19)), I was worked a lot on the bank shot and once I mastered it, I became a better shooter. Now its pretty much been abandoned in favor of the "swish", except by players driving the lane.

If you look back on the old IW highlight tape he hit quite a few bank shots. Maybe not from that far away, but it was a one of his shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha ummm...

The banked 3 was totally unintentional. Eeek

Pretty sure we were tied or leading for like 75% of the Maryland game, but sure.

?? Maybe in terms of NET rankings it is worthless, but to say that Maryland is a significantly better or more talented team is just simply not true.

The fact that we led for most of the first half and kept it close until late in the game would support that they are not that much better than us.

It's meaningful when the person implied we were dominated by them. I was refuting that point. Did you not read what I was responding to?

Respectfully, the fact that we were leading and/or close throughout the majority of the game is meaningless. Maryland pulled away when it counted because they're a much better team. The game was tied at 56 with 11:25 left, and Maryland outscored us 26-11 over the final "quarter" of the game. Winning on the road in the Big Ten by 15 would be considered an ass-kicking by most impartial observers.

The Citadel and Alabama were tied 35 minutes into a 60-minute football game. Is The Citadel almost as good as Alabama at football?

it's absolutely meaningful when talking about whether a team "handled us". It doesn't matter for the standings obviously but it matters when discussing our team's talent / skill / potential.

I practice the called bank on a three all the time, its my go to shot for HORSE.
I knew a number of kids who were adept at hitting the "chinese" backboard. (I know...not pc) [emoji41]

I take it back, this team is garbage. I always give Pitino the benefit of the doubt, but after tonight... no longer. He needs to be fired after this season if we don't make the tourney.

IW the only player to show up tonight and able to handle the quickness.

You have got to be kidding. The whole team was a mess, hero ball, no ball movement. How many turnovers did IW make? He stunk.

IW the only player to show up tonight and able to handle the quickness.

IW matches the Illinois players athleticism, so do Oturo and Coffey, Murphy has his limitations but is so good in other ways, none of these were taken advantage of and that is what is so frustrating

You have got to be kidding. The whole team was a mess, hero ball, no ball movement. How many turnovers did IW make? He stunk.

IW was pretty good actually. He had 8 points on 3-4 shooting, a steal, a block, 4 assists and 3 turnovers. One of his turnovers was an offensive foul where he drove in and scored a layup but the ref called a phantom hook on him. If players would have finished off of the passes IW made he would have EASILY had 8 assists. He was a flicker of light, along with Oturu on a dark night. Illinois overplays on defense. You have to beat that off the dribble and then find cutters. When we did, the players didn't make the shots. gopherhoopsguy is correct.

IW was pretty good actually. He had 8 points on 3-4 shooting, a steal, a block, 4 assists and 3 turnovers. One of his turnovers was an offensive foul where he drove in and scored a layup but the ref called a phantom hook on him. If players would have finished off of the passes IW made he would have EASILY had 8 assists. He was a flicker of light, along with Oturu on a dark night. Illinois overplays on defense. You have to beat that off the dribble and then find cutters. When we did, the players didn't make the shots. gopherhoopsguy is correct.

Perfectly stated.

I too felt IW was one of few Gophers to match Illinois intensity (Oturu).

Top Bottom