IW

Pitino has an extremely long leash, when compared to his predecessor. Indeed, we've seen free-flowing, push the ball up the floor, push the ball to the rack way more. My read is that when IW does what he is coached to do, and makes a mistake, he has no issues and the leash remains long. When he goes off-script, gets wild and strays from the game-plan and his coaching, he gets yanked. It happened during the Iowa game for sure. Pitino's head almost exploded, IW out, didn't return.

You are very right with this. It's definitely give and take between the two, but I still believe there's time for them to click. I don't mind him being taken out in those situations, but I'd rather he not ride the bench the rest of the night without getting a chance to fix his error.

As I have always said to my players when they complain about me yelling at them, "Worry about what I think of you and your ability when I stop yelling at you."
I always thought this was a bull$h!t line from coaches. It assumes the coach isn't a massive tool, which authoritarian coaches often are.

I mean other than Amir who did it several times last night (staring down the defender and hitting a shot in his face), and nearly multiple times a game. Amir doesn't do it the same way (Dribble dribble dribble), but he's hitting jumpers at free throw line extended and beyond multiple times a game this year.

If you're saying no one else on the team can face up a good defender and confidently dribble the ball without fear of steal and turning their back to the action, you are correct, we have 1 of those.

That's exactly what I'm saying - you said it better than I did. Although there's something about a picture and a thousand words?

If you're saying no one else on the team can face up a good defender and confidently dribble the ball without fear of steal and turning their back to the action, you are correct, we have 1 of those.

This is true.. and one of the problems I have with Amir at the point, he's often turned to the point where he can't see the court and passing opportunities. There are plenty of quality guards that preferred to turn their back, but they could still see the floor.

All I know, it was very enjoyable seeing IW with the ball on a string face up the defense with his dribble. Felt like with our other guards the defender often dictated, that ended immediately when Isaiah entered. Played with a flair and almost a cockiness that was really fun to watch. Somewhat frustrating because would be so helpful if he could play that way consistently and seems like he wants so badly to do well, think he's getting there.

IW looks improved against weaker competition, anybody think he will play this well against a ranked team?

I hope he does by the way, I just think a player had a good game against a not so great team and we think "he has figured something out"?

IW looks improved against weaker competition, anybody think he will play this well against a ranked team?

I hope he does by the way, I just think a player had a good game against a not so great team and we think "he has figured something out"?

So what are you saying about our "good" players who laid an egg against a "not so great team" when they played @ Illinois?

He has had REALLY good games against top level competition in the past. It isn't like he can't be competitive against good teams. But we will ignore those because it doesn't fit your narrative.

And yes, he will play well against ranked teams. Like 4 out of 5 games in a stretch last year @ Iowa, @ Michigan, vs. Nebraska, @ Indiana, vs. Michigan State. Take out Indiana and he had 21 assists/3 turnovers (7:1 is beyond great), 17.25ppg (27/56 FGs, including 13/13 FTs...) while averaging 30.75mpg. He also grabbed 14 rebounds.

Just shows what he can do. I'm not saying he will do this, but he has had success against good teams in his young career.

I'd be curious to see Murphy's stats again "good" teams. I bet they aren't as good as his usual stats. Funny how that works!

it doesn't fit your narrative.

And yes, he will play well against ranked teams. Like 4 out of 5 games in a stretch last year @ Iowa, @ Michigan, vs. Nebraska, @ Indiana, vs. Michigan State. Take out Indiana and he had 21 assists/3 turnovers (7:1 is beyond great)

Since you were throwing around stats... vs. ranked teams last year; Bama, Miami, Purdue, Ohio St., Mich, Mich St. he had 17 assists & 17 turnovers (1:1) @ ~26mpg.

This year vs. ranked teams he has 3 assists & 8 turnovers (3:8)

Five of those TOs came against Michigan

Yep... okay?

Last edited:

Since you were throwing around stats... vs. ranked teams last year; Bama, Miami, Purdue, Ohio St., Mich, Mich St. he had 17 assists & 17 turnovers (1:1).

This year vs. ranked teams he has zero assists & 7 turnovers (0:7)

Five of those TOs came against Michigan. His PT has been so sporadic I don't think you can paint an accurate portrait in that small sample size.

McBrayer and Coffey could not execute against the Illinois ball pressure last night. IW could.

OMG! IW had one helluva Good game last night. Offensively and defensively.

IW had a pass in the second half that was about 3/4 court to Curry(I think). anyone happen to have a video clip or link of that pass. That was Sweet!!

IW had a pass in the second half that was about 3/4 court to Curry(I think). anyone happen to have a video clip or link of that pass. That was Sweet!!

You talking the one where EC got fouled? I thought that was Coffey to McB to Curry? They passed 3/4 court to break the press right before IW came back in. Maybe you are talking about a different play.

That was nice. I was thinking of a different play... that worked out, but I was nervous when they put the press on Coffey and McB, couple passes and we beat it in a similar way. They put IW in shortly after and the Ill. press was dead.

They rarely pressed IW. I think they knew it wasn't going to be effective and didn't bother. A few times they had Frazier pick him up man to man. IW didn't seem to notice and just jogged up the court. He is so comfortable with the dribble its nice to have a guard like that.

He is so comfortable with the dribble its nice to have a guard like that.

Most guards are comfortable and capable of doing that. Mason could and I'd expect Carr to be one of those guys. Coffey and Dupree, not so much.

Most guards are comfortable and capable of doing that. Mason could and I'd expect Carr to be one of those guys. Coffey and Dupree, not so much.
"Most?" So, one on our team? How many guards do we have?

Mason was good, but could not handle the ball as well as IW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IW.jpg

from a local coffee shop- The overall question is "if you could eat lunch with anybody, who would it be with?"
it is hard to see on the far left, but among the expected answers of Jesus, my dad, Bob Ross, Kamala Harris, Barrack Obama,Burno Mars, etc-- someone answers- Isaiah Washington. the groundswell is coming.

My wife sent me the photo- I told her she had to go back and get a better pic of the Isaiah answer, but she hasn't made it back yet

Another very good game.

His assists and pace were impressive. He Defense was a C plus . He shot poorly. I like some of what he does for a true sophomore but i would not call it a very good game. I see positive steps. Wednesday is huge, can he handle Trice or Davison and play 26 minutes. Will be a blast and i will fly in for it.

View attachment 5985

from a local coffee shop- The overall question is "if you could eat lunch with anybody, who would it be with?"
it is hard to see on the far left, but among the expected answers of Jesus, my dad, Bob Ross, Kamala Harris, Barrack Obama,Burno Mars, etc-- someone answers- Isaiah Washington. the groundswell is coming.

My wife sent me the photo- I told her she had to go back and get a better pic of the Isaiah answer, but she hasn't made it back yet

Kamala Harris ????

His assists and pace were impressive. He Defense was a C plus . He shot poorly. I like some of what he does for a true sophomore but i would not call it a very good game. I see positive steps. Wednesday is huge, can he handle Trice or Davison and play 26 minutes. Will be a blast and i will fly in for it.

The fact he's a C+ for defense is a worthy amount of growth for him. I didn't feel like he was a total liability out there as I did earlier this season and all of last year. It's nice to see he's worked on that. Wednesday will be huge to see what he does.

Another very good game.

He was playing well until he missed the front end of the 1 and 1 and then he was completely rattled mentally. That isn't unique to him as basically just about everyone else on our team was terrified the instant Purdue got some momentum rolling but Isaiah was noticeably shook from that point on.

Top Bottom