IW

He's not that bad of a shooter. He needs to improve shot selection and earn more consistent minutes. Last year- once Pitino was forced to go with IW the rest of the Big Ten season he averaged about 45% shooting. He needs to stop driving in for contested layups or learn to draw contact instead of the Jelly finishes which are almost always blocked. He has a decent mid range touch and good shooting form.

Great coaches insist that shot selection is a huge part of being a good shooter. At any level of competition it was noted that he was not a good shooter.

Great coaches insist that shot selection is a huge part of being a good shooter. At any level of competition it was noted that he was not a good shooter.

I'm not saying Pitino is a great coach, but he has insisted upon it. Thus the inconsistent minutes.

A PG taking bad shots destroys your offense, you never get into any kind of offensive flow. IW is much better today than he was at the start of last season.

You are challenging for the sake of arguing, not for the sake of assessing IW’s value.

No, it was a challenge because the argument didn’t sound reasonable to me. So I questioned it. That’s what a message board is for. Don’t really care if you felt annoyed.

A PG taking bad shots destroys your offense, you never get into any kind of offensive flow. IW is much better today than he was at the start of last season.

Agreed.

No, it was a challenge because the argument didn’t sound reasonable to me. So I questioned it. That’s what a message board is for. Don’t really care if you felt annoyed.

I didn’t make an argument about +/-, I simply asked what it was because it pertained to your statements. You took a one sentence straight forward question and got defensive instead of answering it honestly (even an i don’t know would have been a reasonable response). It illustrated you have nothing to back up your bs. I’m completely ambivalent about all of this, just wish fellow fans would bring more to the table.

I looked through various websites for specific game plus minus but could not find it. Sports-reference has offensive ratings in each box score, and IW looked pretty poor. although it’s based on his personal stats, not the team’s performance while he was in the game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2019-01-19-20-minnesota.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

208th best FG% team in the country. 295th best 3pt%. Harder to pile up gaudy assist numbers with this team full of bricklayers. Most of this team's assists are probably on fast breaks.

Geez, Louise, I knew we were a bad shooting team but didn't realize we were that bad. That is horrid. Is it that hard finding shooters or does Pitino just not recruit them? Sometimes I feel he falls more in love with an athlete than a basketball player. Not sure that makes sense but the object is still to put the ball in the hole ad keep the other team from doing same.

Geez, Louise, I knew we were a bad shooting team but didn't realize we were that bad. That is horrid. Is it that hard finding shooters or does Pitino just not recruit them? Sometimes I feel he falls more in love with an athlete than a basketball player. Not sure that makes sense but the object is still to put the ball in the hole ad keep the other team from doing same.
To be fair, gopher fans can’t identify shooters either. At the beginning of the year some were telling me Gabe K was a great shooter. As it turns out, he is average.

Great shooters are really hard to find and even more difficult to recruit.

To be fair, gopher fans can’t identify shooters either. At the beginning of the year some were telling me Gabe K was a great shooter. As it turns out, he is average.

he's getting alot more attention now and bigger and more athletic defenders, he'll adjust as time goes on, he's one of the few that can hit medium range pullup jumpers, I figured his numbers would tail off in the B1G season but I expect them to bounce back up, still a pleasant surprise for me.

he's getting alot more attention now and bigger and more athletic defenders, he'll adjust as time goes on, he's one of the few that can hit medium range pullup jumpers, I figured his numbers would tail off in the B1G season but I expect them to bounce back up, still a pleasant surprise for me.

Like him a ton. True Freshman, pretty damn good.

They had 16 assists on 20 made FG yesterday, they did not have many transition hoops. One of IW’s assists was on a fast break though. Do you know who the biggest brick layer on the team with the worst offensive efficiency numbers and TS% is?

The guy you all want to see take additional minutes from two of our best shooting guards. He is also one of the worst on the team in FTA/FGA, which has really been our only way to create offense in many games this year. 20 minutes on a shortened bench is about right for Washington, more when you see him riding a hot streak.

Still trying to figure out who are our "two of our best shooting guards"? I'd assume one is Kalscheur, even though he's been in a slump. No doubt he's the best pure shooter on the squad. But who's the other? Coffey? McBrayer? It's tough to identify shooters when their shot selection comes with the shot clock at :02 and a desperation shot 20 feet from the basket.

I just looked it up. There are 631 sophomores getting at least 30% of their team's minutes and using at least 5% of their team's possessions. Washington is 626th in EFG% at 32.4. Conversely he's 7th in A/TO. He should basically just stop shooting, and he should definitely stop shooting 3s.

I just looked it up. There are 631 sophomores getting at least 30% of their team's minutes and using at least 5% of their team's possessions. Washington is 626th in EFG% at 32.4. Conversely he's 7th in A/TO. He should basically just stop shooting, and he should definitely stop shooting 3s.

This works for me. Let's see if to goes that way tonight!

Michigan is going to be out for blood, at home, after what happened in Madison.

Just not good enough for the B1G stage. He’d probably be ok in the Missouri Valley.

Just not good enough for the B1G stage. He’d probably be ok in the Missouri Valley.

Would be great playing for niagra or sacred heart.

Fact is, gophers are a point guard short and he is the only one who even has the upside to pla that spot.

He probably won’t fulfill that upside and we will be trying to grind out an 11 seed.

He's regressed and its really concerning. You saw the potential and improvement in Nate Mason towards the end of his freshman season (similar to IW). The difference is that Nate carried that momentum into his sophomore season, which IW has failed to do. He looks to have zero confidence on either side of the ball.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The 2017 recruiting cycle was a bust. IW was the key and its just not worked out so far. Still holding out hope that he can find the way..

IW makes some really great long passes up the floor in transition when he gets an outlet or a steal. he also drops some nice passes to scorers by the rim in close, but those turn into ugly turnovers when he misses.

He has really great vision when pushing the ball up the open floor.

The defense is not impressive, nor is the general half court game. I hope he keeps trying to improve. I am not sure if effort is the problem, as he may not be all that quick or instinctive on defense. There have been great guards that cannot shoot, but not that many that cannot shoot or guard anyone.

IW makes some really great long passes up the floor in transition when he gets an outlet or a steal. he also drops some nice passes to scorers by the rim in close, but those turn into ugly turnovers when he misses.

He has really great vision when pushing the ball up the open floor.

The defense is not impressive, nor is the general half court game. I hope he keeps trying to improve. I am not sure if effort is the problem, as he may not be all that quick or instinctive on defense. There have been great guards that cannot shoot, but not that many that cannot shoot or guard anyone.
Dude needs to work on his sky hook...[emoji41]

Bad game for IW and he knows it. This is why he doesnt start or get more playing time. I like the guy and believe he will succeed as a b10 PG.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It was pretty unfair to IW considering he was built up locally at least to be the second coming of Stephon Marbury or AI. (or Bobby Jackson) I'd settle for Eric Harris like play.

It was pretty unfair to IW considering he was built up locally at least to be the second coming of Stephon Marbury or AI. (or Bobby Jackson) I'd settle for Eric Harris like play.

Nobody with any credibility thought he was anywhere near those guys. Tom Konchalski told many of his clients to pass on him as a lead guard. Look at his offer list not his ranking.

Points to the most maddening thing about Pitino for me and that's the way he manages his roster. He saw what he had not only in Washington, but in the rest of the team. People had their doubts about point guard after seeing Washington play. Pitino must or should have also. Plans B, C, D, etc. were to hope Coffey would be it, a grad transfer would do it, a transfer would be eligible, or what. I get it he tried; but it all seems like, "Damn, we can't rely on what I've recruited. How about we ...?"

Team had too much potential to be this lacking and inconsistent at this position.

Harris sucked until his junior year. Sometimes kids take a little time.

Points to the most maddening thing about Pitino for me and that's the way he manages his roster. He saw what he had not only in Washington, but in the rest of the team. People had their doubts about point guard after seeing Washington play. Pitino must or should have also. Plans B, C, D, etc. were to hope Coffey would be it, a grad transfer would do it, a transfer would be eligible, or what. I get it he tried; but it all seems like, "Damn, we can't rely on what I've recruited. How about we ...?"

Team had too much potential to be this lacking and inconsistent at this position.

Yep. I've finally come to accept that Gophers will need Carr to be a really good PG (or at least competent), or next season could get ugly. Need stability at that key position, and we don't have it.

Top Bottom