IW

Agreed. Isaiah's mistakes are magnified because he's a flashy player. He's the whipping boy on this team. All there is to it. Murphy played an absolutely horrible game against Purdue - 3 charging fouls... if you count those as TOs he had what 5/6? - what would be reaction if IW had 5/6 TOs in a game? Isaiah has limitations just like Murphy (can't shoot, reacts slowly to doubles, etc), Coffey (can't penetrate past perimeter defenders 1 on 1, can take wild shots at times, etc). Isaiah's limitations are off-ball defense, over-dribbling, questionable decision making (especially when challenged). No one can tell me he is held to same standard when he makes a mistake as the others mentioned.

You don't know if Pitino is hard on him because he sees the potential and he's not living up to it, or he's unable to effectively communicate with him and simply boils over out of frustration. Presumably it's a mixture with a tendency toward the latter. And that's on Pitino. When Isaiah is clicking he makes a massive impact. A great coach would do what was necessary to communicate properly and pull our consistent performance from him. And at the very least not hold him to a ridiculous double-standard not applied to others.

Why do you assume that Pitino can’t communicate and is using double standards? It is hard to break old habits and play at a top level in the B1G. IW clicks much more frequently as the season progresses than he did last year. Wouldn’t that indicate that Pitino is getting his message across? Have you ever coached basketball or any other sport?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a nice Q & A with IW on GopherSports.com. Apologies if this has already been posted ITT or elsewhere. He doesn't come across as unhappy.......

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/2/1/mens-basketball-q-a-with-isaiah-washington.aspx

Fans make up crap. They do not think about what a big step up in competition it is. They assume if you come from NY that you went up against great competition everyday when you did not. What about adjusting to college and making new friends, living away from home, training table and lots of rules. Said it all along, he is a mid year sophomore.

Was I the only one who was extremely irritated when Stull was put in for a struggling McBrayer over IW? I get that he had his bad airball but apart from that he was creating as he usually does. I think IW needs a shot over Pree (I realize this is a tough decision for Pitino).

Exactly. IW has shown progress and he has a big upside in a position we desperately need. DM seems like a great kid who has suffered a tremendous loss this year but we need W's and McBrayer has been a liability on offense.

Was I the only one who was extremely irritated when Stull was put in for a struggling McBrayer over IW? I get that he had his bad airball but apart from that he was creating as he usually does. I think IW needs a shot over Pree (I realize this is a tough decision for Pitino).

No I wasn't irritated by that. He was looking to see what would happen if he put two three point shooters on the floor. I thought it was worth a look. It didn't last long. I did however think that Washington should have played more over McBrayer who is totally lost right now. He has no confidence. He was going in for a baseline slam and tripped over his own feet going in and never got up in the air- missing a sure two points and maybe a three point play. So yeah- I think he has to roll the dice with IW and play him 25 minutes.

No I wasn't irritated by that. He was looking to see what would happen if he put two three point shooters on the floor. I thought it was worth a look. It didn't last long. I did however think that Washington should have played more over McBrayer who is totally lost right now. He has no confidence. He was going in for a baseline slam and tripped over his own feet going in and never got up in the air- missing a sure two points and maybe a three point play. So yeah- I think he has to roll the dice with IW and play him 25 minutes.
I agree that McBrayer is struggling and IW, should get more minutes. I feel so bad for McBrayer. He is deep in the grieving process. He could use some time to heal, but the season is in full swing and it doesn't afford him the time he needs.

I agree that McBrayer is struggling and IW, should get more minutes. I feel so bad for McBrayer. He is deep in the grieving process. He could use some time to heal, but the season is in full swing and it doesn't afford him the time he needs.

+1000

I think Pitino was trying to reproduce the same game plan from our win in Madison. It was similar all the way down to the Hack-a-Happ defensive substitutions and hot hand of Stull during that game.

Unfortunately we got next to nothing from our guards and wings last night. A good majority of those looks from 3pt range were wide open, uncontested looks. With a team like UW that packs 4 defenders around the rim so efficiently, you can’t win if you can’t hit jump shots.

I think Pitino was trying to reproduce the same game plan from our win in Madison. It was similar all the way down to the Hack-a-Happ defensive substitutions and hot hand of Stull during that game.

Unfortunately we got next to nothing from our guards and wings last night. A good majority of those looks from 3pt range were wide open, uncontested looks. With a team like UW that packs 4 defenders around the rim so efficiently, you can’t win if you can’t hit jump shots.
Yes, this is what I thought too.

What are the odds that IW transfers the hell out of here?

Why on earth would he stay here, if he’s not getting to play? Brutal winter this year, no ties to the state or this area, Pitino brought him here but clearly is having issues with each other.

Plus if Pitino gets fired. I think he’s for sure gone in that case.

Why on earth would he stay here, if he’s not getting to play? Brutal winter this year, no ties to the state or this area, Pitino brought him here but clearly is having issues with each other.

Maybe IW grew up with a single mother and wants to get out from the east coast. Maybe Richard is someone he can trust, even if he doesn't like his amount of playing time. Maybe IW really likes the guys. Maybe he is aware that he needs to grow. Another JellyFam kid at Villanova knew he was going to struggle and understood his lack of playing time per Jay Wright. Not all kids need the playing time or think they are going to the NBA, some truly want to use basketball as a way to break his cycle. Just because a situation might not be good for you, doesn't mean it isn't ok for IW. I guarantee you IW And Pitino talk all the time. Lets wait till the end of the year before we decide what IW is doing or thinking. He unfairly had to answer this question on one of the few press conferences he gets to do and said he loves the guys and team. Sometimes that's enough for kids.

Assume it would depend a lot of what other legit options he has if he were to leave. He might not want to drop down to a lower level school and realistically that might be the only real option he would have if he were to leave.

I have to think it's better than 50/50. He barely plays as it is, and next year we will have an actual PG.

We're losing roughly 30mpg from Dupree. It's possible Carr could take Dupree's minutes and play 20 minutes at PG and 10 at SG, which could leave about 20 minutes for IW at PG.

I have to think it's better than 50/50. He barely plays as it is, and next year we will have an actual PG.

We hope.

Washington still has plenty of opportunity to get minutes as he is one of two PG's.

We still have 3 open scholarships left to fill as is. If someone transfers we'll have one more. I'd rather everyone stick around than having an open scholarship or bringing someone in just for the sake of it.

We still have 3 open scholarships left to fill as is. If someone transfers we'll have one more. I'd rather everyone stick around than having an open scholarship or bringing someone in just for the sake of it.

Could have six open, IW transfers, Hurt grad transfers, and Coffey says to heck with this and tries his luck at the next level.

Could have six open, IW transfers, Hurt grad transfers, and Coffey says to heck with this and tries his luck at the next level.

Coffey isn’t even going to sniff going to the NBA after this year. Hurt should transfer or be told to leave as he is just a warm body for practice, nothing more. I think IW is 50/50 in staying but if Pitino leaves I think he’s gone.

As much as I’d like to see Pitino succeed I want more to see the Gophers succeed and I think that begins with showing him the door. I hope he closes the year strong, I really do. But if he cannot make the NCAA tourney with this roster than shame on him.

I still for the life of me can’t understand this situation with IW and Pitino. Still only player on team who can handle the ball and only player on team who can break down his defender in late clock situations. Only player who break down defender and draw secondary defender leaving someone open where IW usually finds them. Only player that gets coffey easy looks. Only player who when playing great defenses can get out and go before they set up. Only player who draws a big on a drive and get and easy dump down for a dunk or uncontested layup. Only player if he doesn’t make a play in first 30- seconds to minute of play he goes to the bench for most of the game.

Should play a great deal today as if he plays great defense can get up and under the IU guards.

How many would we have open if everyone left? I mean, in your world that seems possible.

I think IW is 50/50 in staying but if Pitino leaves I think he’s gone.

I'm not sure why people feel that way. I would think IW would have a better chance with a new coach and a fresh start. I don't know why a new coach with spots to fill wouldn't want to retain a player with IW's ball handling skills unless he's bringing in a higher level point guard.

I had to go play in the snow with the family for the 2nd half of the Indiana game. Did Isaiah Washington even get in the game?

I had to go play in the snow with the family for the 2nd half of the Indiana game. Did Isaiah Washington even get in the game?

I don't see how you could possibly post that in this thread without looking one post above to where it says "Out today with a tailbone injury"

I don't see how you could possibly post that in this thread without looking one post above to where it says "Out today with a tailbone injury"
Perhaps because I didn't read the thread. But, thanks for pointing me to it. It does answer my question.
Does that help reduce your incredulous attitude?

Top Bottom