IW

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
d9Y840J.gif

Yep. Looks just like every other guard. Enough said.

The team looked so much better on offense when he was in the game. I think it’s time for coach Pitino to cut him more slack and give him more minutes. It’s the only way he will learn, and in order for this team to progress from decent to very good, the good version of IW will be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this thread would be about "Jelly's" bone-head move to get ejected. One step forward, one huge step backwards.

A point guard especially can't lose his cool like that.

Washington looks fantastic when he's facilitating the offense.

He looks horrendous when he dribbles down and forgets he has 4 other players on his team.

Washington looks fantastic when he's facilitating the offense.

He looks horrendous when he dribbles down and forgets he has 4 other players on his team.

Exactly this.

My hope is he recognizes the results when he does what coach wants him to do.

Today was a great example

I thought this thread would be about "Jelly's" bone-head move to get ejected. One step forward, one huge step backwards.

A point guard especially can't lose his cool like that.
Yeah! Mason NEVER would have done ANYTHING like that!!

As noted in another thread, IW is so much better at point against the zone D. The ball barely touches his hands and he's passing it before the zone can react. His passes to the big at the FT line happens so fast that it opens up other options like cutting forwards or the turnaround shot (as Oturu made).

I sure wish Coffey wouldn’t fall down so often when he tries his layups. Totally out of control.

Which he rarely does anymore.

He shouldn't be faulted so much for that fast break dribble drive into the defenders in the Maryland game. There was a certain logic to taking the ball to the hoop before the defense was set. Unfortunately, while Washington is a very good ball handler, he is not a particularly explosive athlete and those defenders were both much taller and better athletes than him.

Which he rarely does anymore.

He shouldn't be faulted so much for that fast break dribble drive into the defenders in the Maryland game. There was a certain logic to taking the ball to the hoop before the defense was set. Unfortunately, while Washington is a very good ball handler, he is not a particularly explosive athlete and those defenders were both much taller and better athletes than him.

I think you need to watch IW a little more closely. He is exceedingly fast. Contrary to many on this forums belief, Pitino and I hope IW is trying to change a bad behavior of not using the other four players on the court. Playing more minutes will not help unless he is playing the right way. Pitino has him on a leash, IW knows this, and I think he is ok with it. He is definitely improving, we can all see that he can be amazing sometimes. He relies on his athleticism, and his work ethic might be suspect. I see his posture is improving, shoulders back, stand up straight.

I think you need to watch IW a little more closely. He is exceedingly fast. Contrary to many on this forums belief, Pitino and I hope IW is trying to change a bad behavior of not using the other four players on the court. Playing more minutes will not help unless he is playing the right way. Pitino has him on a leash, IW knows this, and I think he is ok with it. He is definitely improving, we can all see that he can be amazing sometimes. He relies on his athleticism, and his work ethic might be suspect. I see his posture is improving, shoulders back, stand up straight.

He is very fast with the ball because he is a very good ball handler. He does not appear to be a great leaper or finisher at the bucket. He reminds me a bit of Evan Turner in that respect: great ball handler but not a great athlete or good shooter. Washington is also short whereas Turner was comparatively tall for a college guard.

Accusing him of "not using the other four players on the court" is nonsense. He is a very willing facilitator who looks for others. I think you are the one who should be watching him more closely. You appear to be working off pre-conceived notions or maybe just plagiarizing from others.

He is very fast with the ball because he is a very good ball handler. He does not appear to be a great leaper or finisher at the bucket. He reminds me a bit of Evan Turner in that respect: great ball handler but not a great athlete or good shooter. Washington is also short whereas Turner was comparatively tall for a college guard.

Accusing him of "not using the other four players on the court" is nonsense. He is a very willing facilitator who looks for others. I think you are the one who should be watching him more closely. You appear to be working off pre-conceived notions or maybe just plagiarizing from others.

This is the most accurate description of IW. Not sure what what the other poster is watching.

https://bigten.org/confstats.aspx/2018-19/mbb/confldrs

Here are the stats comparing Big Ten teams so far- this includes all games. So far IW is #2 in the conference in assists to turnovers ratio. His 40 minute assist production is about 9 (wow), which is probably the best in the conference. IW has only average just under 18 minutes so he is around 6th in assists overall.

As a team we sit middle to low middle in most statistical categories with 3 point shooting and 3 point shooting defense really hurting us.

https://bigten.org/confstats.aspx/2018-19/mbb/confldrs

Here are the stats comparing Big Ten teams so far- this includes all games. So far IW is #2 in the conference in assists to turnovers ratio. His 40 minute assist production is about 9 (wow), which is probably the best in the conference. IW has only average just under 18 minutes so he is around 6th in assists overall.

OK, one thing about that eye-popping assist production: It primarily arises from IW's play against low-level teams. He had 11 assists against Omaha (9-8, 3rd in the Summit), 13 against North Florida (8-10, 3rd in the ASUN) and 10 against North Carolina A&T (7-9, 2nd in the MEAC).

On the other hand, and I think this accurately reflects IW's ongoing improvement, his A/TO ratio is 10:1 in the four B1G games he's played. Those 10 assists came in 65 minutes, or about six per 40 minutes, which is still damn impressive.

IMHO, IW has done what he needs to do to garner more playing time. The bank shot off the opponent's head was unfortunate but forgivable. I got a hell of a laugh out of it, but for his own sake I hope he refrains from similar actions in the future.

JTG

IW should be ashamed of bouncing the ball off of the Rutgers player's head. He knows how to do it right....lol

watch at the 2:34 mark on...

The team looked so much better on offense when he was in the game. I think it’s time for coach Pitino to cut him more slack and give him more minutes. It’s the only way he will learn, and in order for this team to progress from decent to very good, the good

Spot on.

The comparison to Evan Turner is really amazing.

Evan Turner is 6'7", was the AP POY, had 1:1 career A/TO ratio and scored A LOT.

I don't really see the comparison other than they are both basketball players in the big ten.

I've been critical of IW's defense (which still can improve) and how much the offense stalls when he catches the ball in the halfcourt. I thought he looked GREAT keeping the ball moving and reversing it in the halfcourt against Rutgers. He wasn't assist hunting, he was simply making the right plays. I'm optimistic that this can be what we see moving forward. We need him to play well when we face great teams. Hopefully it's all sorted out by February and we can enjoy a deep run in the B1G and NCAA tournaments!

The comparison to Evan Turner is really amazing.

Evan Turner is 6'7", was the AP POY, had 1:1 career A/TO ratio and scored A LOT.

I don't really see the comparison other than they are both basketball players in the big ten.

Yes, of course, Evan Turner was an outstanding college player. I was referring to his shortcomings in the NBA. He had a lot of growing pains and had to refine his game because what he did in college didn't translate well to the next level. He was a great ball handler but a sub-par athlete by NBA standards so those drives that left others in the dust in college ended with getting his shot blocked in the pros. He also is not a great shooter (even still after nine years).

What Washington and he had in common was very good ball handling ability and court vision but some limitations that required them to adjust their games at the next level.

Yes, of course, Evan Turner was an outstanding college player. I was referring to his shortcomings in the NBA. He had a lot of growing pains and had to refine his game because what he did in college didn't translate well to the next level. He was a great ball handler but a sub-par athlete by NBA standards so those drives that left others in the dust in college ended with getting his shot blocked in the pros. He also is not a great shooter (even still after nine years).

What Washington and he had in common was very good ball handling ability and court vision but some limitations that required them to adjust their games at the next level.

Ok, that makes more sense. Turner was sensational in college. IW is an amazing ball handler but does have limitations. Though I think he is really improving and could be a very big contributor the rest of the this year and the next two.

Never understand all the hand wringing over him. He is a true sophomore. Patience is required. It did not help when Pitino sr. made those comments as it amps up fans. The Jelly fam tapes are fun for some but they raised expectations among some fans. I remain very confident that this should be a top 3 conference team.

Never understand all the hand wringing over him. He is a true sophomore. Patience is required. It did not help when Pitino sr. made those comments as it amps up fans. The Jelly fam tapes are fun for some but they raised expectations among some fans. I remain very confident that this should be a top 3 conference team.

I don't see top 3. Michigan and Michigan State are top 5 top 10 in the nation material. They are both head and shoulders above the rest. After that...both Maryland and OSU handled us. Top 6 this year would make me happy and get things moving in the right direction.

both Maryland and OSU handled u.

MD62 MINN61 at 7.5mins left. Several lead changes and we were up a good chunk of the first half. They whipped our ass the last 7mins though, that's gonna happen some nights, but it's not like we can't play with them.

Last edited:

He is very fast because he moves his feet and has a huge stride when he wants to get up the court. He is a willing facilitator sometimes, sometimes he dribbles around ignoring the other four because he is looking for his shot. That and he is not shown to be a good shooter from three. And the Jelly roll does not work so good when three defenders are towering over him under the basket. Try watching the game not just the stats. When he is good, (a couple games) he has been really good. On average he has not been. This should be obvious or Patino would be playing him more. He is improving, but he is not as good (yet) as the other options we have. I would not want to bear the cost of him sacrificing the game in order for him to get more minutes in the hopes he finds some behavior changing discipline.

Top Bottom