IW

I did not see the rouser fiasco but I did see him standing outside the huddle at the final timeout and he had clinched both shoulder straps of his jersey and looked like he wanted to rip it off. I didn't get my panties in a bunch about it but I definitely wasn't pleased to see it.

It's tough when you were put on a pedestal and told you are the next Stephon Marbury your entire life then you come into high major basketball and have a hard time adjusting and buying in. Isaiah is a good player and we just need to ride the wave of inconsistency until something changes. Our team is better off with him on it and I think everyone in the locker room knows it. Just hope we can find some level ground with him between 23 points/10 assists and 2 points/8 turnovers.

This is the way Pitino is going to handle him. Too bad he doesnt have a talented brother or family to 'advocate'for him. Badgerworshiper hasnt weighed in yet on the briliance of Pitino's handling of IW, but I'm anticipating transfer. I hate when I see a kid tighten up like this because he knows any mistake will land him on the bench.

Badgerworshiper ! Good one. Just admire how they built things as i was involved at that time. As for IW, How is it that fans think they know better than the coaching staff ? They have so much more experience plus all of the information, all the practices, all the combinations, chemistry and on and on. It sounds foolish, in my opinion that a fan might know better.

Agree that Dupree's pass created that situation and I thought watching it he was trying to throw the ball off a defender and out of bounds which is a reasonable play to make, just missed.

That's exactly what he was trying to do (throw it off a defender). It just didn't work out for him. Had it worked, we'd be saying what a heady play made by a smart player.

I did not see the rouser fiasco but I did see him standing outside the huddle at the final timeout and he had clinched both shoulder straps of his jersey and looked like he wanted to rip it off. I didn't get my panties in a bunch about it but I definitely wasn't pleased to see it.

It's tough when you were put on a pedestal and told you are the next Stephon Marbury your entire life then you come into high major basketball and have a hard time adjusting and buying in. Isaiah is a good player and we just need to ride the wave of inconsistency until something changes. Our team is better off with him on it and I think everyone in the locker room knows it. Just hope we can find some level ground with him between 23 points/10 assists and 2 points/8 turnovers.

Anyone who told him that he was the next Stephon Marbury simply does not know basketball. Every top 20 program passed. Marbury was far beyond . IW can be a very good college player but was a victim of social media obsession that way over value highlights that are seldom even real basketball plays. When he becomes sound, mature and reliable he will play more.

They have so much more experience plus all of the information, all the practices, all the combinations, chemistry and on and on. It sounds foolish, in my opinion that a fan might know better.

Well, the same thing could be said for the US national security apparatus leading up to the Iraqi War but that didn't prevent them from making a terrible mistake. Yet, there were countless numbers of people with less information saying "Don't do it!" You're assuming that decision makers always make the logical decision with the information available to them. In reality, hubris rather than information and logic often leads the way.

Well, the same thing could be said for the US national security apparatus leading up to the Iraqi War but that didn't prevent them from making a terrible mistake. Yet, there were countless numbers of people with less information saying "Don't do it!" You're assuming that decision makers always make the logical decision with the information available to them. In reality, hubris rather than information and logic often leads the way.

Your right, especially in light of how poorly this staff's record is. But fans have no downside and no value for their opinions otherwise they would get paid by somebody. So some fans want him to play more, some want him to play him like coach sees fit, and some want him off the team. No problem, everyone has a opinion and based on what i see at this point in time i would not play him more.

Your right, especially in light of how poorly this staff's record is. But fans have no downside and no value for their opinions otherwise they would get paid by somebody. So some fans want him to play more, some want him to play him like coach sees fit, and some want him off the team. No problem, everyone has a opinion and based on what i see at this point in time i would not play him more.

All jokes aside, and I really don't know the answer, but are you a Gopher fan or a Badger fan?

Nov 12 - Utah (home) - W 78-69 - IW 16 mins
Nov 18 - Texas A&M (Vancouver) - W 69-64 - IW 19 mins
Nov 21 - Washington (Vancouver) - W 68-66 - IW 21 mins
Nov 26 - Boston Coll (away) - L 56-68 - IW 19 mins
Nov 30 - Okla State (US bank) - W 83-76 - IW 20 mins
Dec 2 - Ohio St (away) - L 59-79 - IW 23 mins
Dec 5 - Nebraska (home) - W 85-78 - IW 11 mins
Jan 3 - Wisconsin (away) - W 59-52 - IW 0 mins
Jan 8 - Maryland (home) - L 67 - 82 - IW 17 mins
Jan 12 - Rutgers (home) - W 88-70 - IW 14 mins
Jan 16 - Illinois (away) - L 68-95 - IW 24 mins
Jan 19 - Penn St (home) - W 65-64 - IW 22 mins, 0-4, 2 asst, 1 steal, 1 TO
Jan 22 - Michigan (away) - L 57-59 - IW 12 mins, 0-1, 0 asst, 0 steal, 5 TO

Jan 27 - Iowa (home) - W 92-87 - IW 13 mins, 3-4 (1-1 3pt), 0 asst, 0 steal, 2 TO

Jan 22 - Michigan (away) - L 57-59 - IW 12 mins, 0-1, 0 asst, 0 steal, 5 TO

Wow, I knew it wasn't good, but 5 TO in 12 mins, yikes. If we had Carr right now, I'm not sure he would be 12 minutes the rest of the season.

His A/TO is still decent, but headed in the wrong direction.

Badgerworshiper ! Good one. Just admire how they built things as i was involved at that time. As for IW, How is it that fans think they know better than the coaching staff ? They have so much more experience plus all of the information, all the practices, all the combinations, chemistry and on and on. It sounds foolish, in my opinion that a fan might know better.
This is a very funny sentence. WHY ARE YOU ON A FAN BOARD??
To help us, I think. To save us from our foolishness. Well, its not working.

I haven't always agreed with him, but builtbadgers is one of the better posters on here.

I can understand why Isaiah's frustrated, but can also see why Pitino doesnt trust him yet in some of these high leverage situations. I think Isaiah's making strides, hopefully he hangs in because can be a difference maker if he can gain consistency.

A rather understandable human reaction under the circumstances I would say. McBrayer's defense in the last couple of minutes was very good but his point guard play in the half court offense during the second half was painful to watch. Even one of the announcers said the team would be better off with Washington on the floor during that second half stretch. But, McBrayer can play poorly and still stay on the floor. If Washington makes a couple of mistakes, he sits for long stretches.

McBrayer does all the little things right, so even if he's having an off game, he's still a net positive. IW doesn't do a lot of the little things or he does them wrong. If he's not handling the ball well, what does he have to offer?

This is the way Pitino is going to handle him. Too bad he doesnt have a talented brother or family to 'advocate'for him. Badgerworshiper hasnt weighed in yet on the briliance of Pitino's handling of IW, but I'm anticipating transfer. I hate when I see a kid tighten up like this because he knows any mistake will land him on the bench.

Maybe a transfer is the best thing? Sometimes a person needs to hit rock bottom before they decide they need help.

Of course! I'm wondering under the Winasota code is there a maximum number of posts where his/her contribution becomes stale/obsolete/jaded?

After that you're either here too much, too long, or don't have enough to do.

I have prefaced often that i do not consider My opinion more valuable than someone else, to Me they sound foolish but may in fact be held in higher regard than mine. Like anyone else i check the board and read it for entertainment, perhaps a good take or two or a idea i had not thought of. Several posters have made me rethink something or to look at something a different way. In general i will not follow a homer path and as someone who has scouted, represented coaches and followed the game up close for 70 years, i share what i see, no more or less. What seems foolish is too make judgements on players without all the information or it is based on what someone wishes would happen versus what has happened. Again, just my take.

If IW wants to play more, he needs to be more efficient. He will encounter this no matter where he plays.

30.9 % FG - terrible - but showing signs of better shot selection and more makes
21.2 % 3 PT - terrible - this needs a lot of work and holds back his value

66:30 Assists-to-turnovers - superb - compare that to Amir at 59:45 or Dupree at 59:30

Earn your playing time on that last stat (duh). Work on your 3 pt shooting (a lot) and generally less shots (until you get those % up).

EDIT: Just looked - he's at 37.5 % on both FG and 3 PT in conference play. Trending positive there. But interestingly, 16:12 A-to-TO. Hmmm.

Last edited:

I have prefaced often that i do not consider My opinion more valuable than someone else, to Me they sound foolish but may in fact be held in higher regard than mine. Like anyone else i check the board and read it for entertainment, perhaps a good take or two or a idea i had not thought of. Several posters have made me rethink something or to look at something a different way. In general i will not follow a homer path and as someone who has scouted, represented coaches and followed the game up close for 70 years, i share what i see, no more or less. What seems foolish is too make judgements on players without all the information or it is based on what someone wishes would happen versus what has happened. Again, just my take.
Sorry if I came off offensely (especially knowing you're big on defense!). IW is a tricky case here for many reasons, not all of them directly related to coaching.

Sorry if I came off offensely (especially knowing you're big on defense!). IW is a tricky case here for many reasons, not all of them directly related to coaching.

Totally agree and all of us must remember he is only in his 2nd year. I have seen hundreds of kids who struggled as underclassmen that thrived later.

Totally agree and all of us must remember he is only in his 2nd year. I have seen hundreds of kids who struggled as underclassmen that thrived later.
Ok, I'll be frank.
I agree with your view, but Rick's comment before the season started about dissatifaction with IW and maybe 'needing to go in another direction' would have been well addressed by Richard. Rick has a history of 'rehoming' players that are misses (i.e.Matz). We can't afford for this to be a 'miss', and there is way too much upside to give up. However, I've listened carefully to Pitino's verbiage, and I don't hear that kind of talk that I hear from you, about patience and development. Never, 'we're really working with him on x'. When he talks, its all up to IW, and that's not quite true. I hear coaches talk all the time about how they're bringing players along. I've expected him to put some of that concern to rest. But he doesn't.

I wouldn't read too much into body language. Different people handle stress/ anger/ disappointment in different ways. You can be p*issed off at yourself, and even your coach while still being happy your team won. IW may be poor at masking his feelings but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about the team.

I'd be much more worried about IW not trying in practice than him looking out of sorts during the Rouser.

Top Bottom