IW

You have got to be kidding. The whole team was a mess, hero ball, no ball movement. How many turnovers did IW make? He stunk.

Washington was about the only one that created ball movement. He played pretty decent overall. I certainly think he's earned the right to play more minutes.

Last edited:

Respectfully, the fact that we were leading and/or close throughout the majority of the game is meaningless. Maryland pulled away when it counted because they're a much better team. The game was tied at 56 with 11:25 left, and Maryland outscored us 26-11 over the final "quarter" of the game. Winning on the road in the Big Ten by 15 would be considered an ass-kicking by most impartial observers.

The Citadel and Alabama were tied 35 minutes into a 60-minute football game. Is The Citadel almost as good as Alabama at football?

Apples an oranges. Anyone who watches basketball regularly knows that the final score can be misleading. A back and forth game can turn into what appears to be an ass kicking pretty quickly at the end when a team down by a little bit starts to jack up desperation shots and intentionally fouling/sending the other team to the free throw line to stop the clock. Maryland beat us, but the final score made the game seem more out of hand than it really was. Feel free to disagree, but it just makes it sound like you didn't watch the whole game.

Perfectly stated.

Oturu was solid also. Most guys were moving like there feet were stuck in the mud. We started the game making only 2 - 7 with shots at the arc most of those were nice easy passes from IW for easy bunnies that were missed. The wings couldn’t get open so we did have more dribbling than normal from IW but it was because of situation.

Apples an oranges. Anyone who watches basketball regularly knows that the final score can be misleading. A back and forth game can turn into what appears to be an ass kicking pretty quickly at the end when a team down by a little bit starts to jack up desperation shots and intentionally fouling/sending the other team to the free throw line to stop the clock. Maryland beat us, but the final score made the game seem more out of hand than it really was. Feel free to disagree, but it just makes it sound like you didn't watch the whole game.

I watched every second. It felt like a close game for the first 3/4, but Maryland ran away and hid when it counted, again because they're the much better team.

Nov 12 - Utah (home) - W 78-69 - IW 16 mins
Nov 18 - Texas A&M (Vancouver) - W 69-64 - IW 19 mins
Nov 21 - Washington (Vancouver) - W 68-66 - IW 21 mins
Nov 26 - Boston Coll (away) - L 56-68 - IW 19 mins
Nov 30 - Okla State (US bank) - W 83-76 - IW 20 mins
Dec 2 - Ohio St (away) - L 59-79 - IW 23 mins
Dec 5 - Nebraska (home) - W 85-78 - IW 11 mins
Jan 3 - Wisconsin (away) - W 59-52 - IW 0 mins
Jan 8 - Maryland (home) - L 67 - 82 - IW 17 mins
Jan 12 - Rutgers (home) - W 88-70 - IW 14 mins
Jan 16 - Illinois (away) - L 68-95 - IW 24 mins

The naive statistics are certainly not trending in his favor, against high major competition this season.

Washington was about the only one that created ball movement. He played pretty descent overall. I certainly think he's earned the right to play more minutes.

grape_pool_party_sunglasses-rccbea39f349a49b282bd0695b2d5df7c_zzvd8_307.jpg

Take these off when you watch the games.

Washington was about the only one that created ball movement. He played pretty descent overall. I certainly think he's earned the right to play more minutes.

He's a pretty bad PG at this time. Below average defender and poor shooter. Did not see much positive out of him last night. Lot's of useless dribbling. He should play 10-15 mpg and not start.

View attachment 5963

You know, I've noticed that GophersinIowa has taken his time coming to conclusions regarding IW. He's not been leaping to his defense or championing him or dismissing him. If you can't recognizing his ability to move with the ball, you may have something impeding your vision.
At one point, Washington made some good movement to the basket and passed out. Sir M yelled, "SHoot! Why didn't he shoot?!"
He's not allowed, I said. Not if he wants to play on Saturday.

View attachment 5963

Never said he was great or that he doesn't need to improve in a lot of areas. But he averages 4 assists per game in just 18 minutes. When he's not in, there's just a lot of standing around on offense. When he's in, there's at least a lot more movement.

He's a pretty bad PG at this time. Below average defender and poor shooter. Did not see much positive out of him last night. Lot's of useless dribbling. He should play 10-15 mpg and not start.

So who plays in his place, Kalschuer got blown by a couple of times it looked like he had lead in his shoes, he just isn't quick enough against the better competition, Hurt no, Stull no, I think they need to give themselves a chance to win against some teams and IW has to be part of the equation. Carr has that ability if he was eligible.

Last edited:

The problem with IW last night is that he was so afraid to shoot because Pitino would pull him. He was the only one getting open and being too passive. Nothing was working so I wished IW would have looked to score but Pitino has him scared to shoot.

I watched every second. It felt like a close game for the first 3/4, but Maryland ran away and hid when it counted, again because they're the much better team.

Okay. I just don't view it as an ass kicking when the winning team pulls away at the end. Maybe that's just me. We can agree to disagree.

The problem with IW last night is that he was so afraid to shoot because Pitino would pull him. He was the only one getting open and being too passive. Nothing was working so I wished IW would have looked to score but Pitino has him scared to shoot.
I said the same above. Of course he wants to play so he's doing what he's told.
IW is a natural, and it takes a good coach to develop that into something great without crushing it. We'll see.

I said the same above. Of course he wants to play so he's doing what he's told.
IW is a natural, and it takes a good coach to develop that into something great without crushing it. We'll see.

I would assume that taking a wide open 3 down 36 wouldnt get you in doghouse lol I may be wrong though.

I back Pitino all the way on his evaluation of IW and how to bring him along. He got plenty of time the other night and had 3 live ball turnovers and graded out very poorly on defense. He is halfway through his sophomore, true sophomore year. Patience.

I back Pitino all the way on his evaluation of IW and how to bring him along. He got plenty of time the other night and had 3 live ball turnovers and graded out very poorly on defense. He is halfway through his sophomore, true sophomore year. Patience.

meh. im so so on it. the guy has IW scared to shoot. Give him some more wiggle room on the offensive end and maybe IW making a few jump shots will get him engaged more on the defensive end. confidence is a big thing for IW.

and did any Gopher grade out any better than poorly on defense the other night? this team as a whole seems so bad at letting the offensive end of the floor dictate how they play on the defensive end of the floor.

Last edited:

meh. im so so on it. the guy has IW scared to shoot. Give him some more wiggle room on the offensive end and maybe IW making a few jump shots will get him engaged more on the defensive end. confidence is a big thing for IW.

and did any Gopher grade out any better than poorly on defense the other night?

Several that i would have graded even worse than IW. Just my opinion that his offense will not feed his defense, it needs to be the other way round.

Several that i would have graded even worse than IW. Just my opinion that his offense will not feed his defense, it needs to be the other way round.

i agree witih you. but that's what im saying.....the whole team seems to be like that(offense feeds their defense)....so it makes very little sense to have a short leash for him but not everyone else. especially when he is your best passer/driver. and in a smaller dose better free throw shooter.

IW is still key to the season. Pitino has to humble himself and give him the start and bigger minutes, even if he cant shoot outside or play good defense. Coffey can drive from the wing with a bigger player on him, he has trouble if a short quick player is on him. He then would need to post up.

No matter what they need to match the other teams intensity at minimum, but especially on the road, when other teams roll players are fired up and making plays. No excuse ever to get outrebounded by that Ill team no matter what else was happening.

You can back him, but he hasnt done a great job of figuring out how to get what he needs from him this year.
Frankly, I think Pitino and the team dearly miss his departed assistants this year. Kimani Young and Ben Johnson were very active in communicating and working with players.

You can back him, but he hasnt done a great job of figuring out how to get what he needs from him this year.
Frankly, I think Pitino and the team dearly miss his departed assistants this year. Kimani Young and Ben Johnson were very active in communicating and working with players.

i see you are taking shots at the new staff for some reason yet you complained there was too much negativity after uw win. ben johnson and kimani never beat uw at uw.

this years record is better than last years and we never won a tournament game with those two on staff.

i see you are taking shots at the new staff for some reason yet you complained there was too much negativity after uw win. ben johnson and kimani never beat uw at uw.

this years record is better than last years and we never won a tournament game with those two on staff.
i see u r keeping track of my posts but we never fell apart like this last year except when we only had 3 guys on the court

e9gyPQi.gif

Never plays defense.

I am beginning to doubt that IW is ever going to be a major positive factor for the Gophers. I hope I am wrong. Last night? More turnovers than assists. Poor defense. 0 for 4 shooting. Carr is our point guard next year, not IW. He does not fit this team. I don't think he fits B1G basketball. I still hope I am wrong.

Our guards will struggle all year except when Amir has the hot hand. We are just a point guard away. Gonzaga got our guy for this year.

I am beginning to doubt that IW is ever going to be a major positive factor for the Gophers. I hope I am wrong. Last night? More turnovers than assists. Poor defense. 0 for 4 shooting. Carr is our point guard next year, not IW. He does not fit this team. I don't think he fits B1G basketball. I still hope I am wrong.

Our guards will struggle all year except when Amir has the hot hand. We are just a point guard away. Gonzaga got our guy for this year.

Am I looking at wrong stats? I see 1 TO and 1 ast. In almost half the minutes as Amir, IW averages almost 1 more assist. Has fewer turnovers. And it’s not like Amir plays great defense. If I have to choose between Amir or IW at PG I’ll run with IW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I looking at wrong stats? I see 1 TO and 1 ast. In almost half the minutes as Amir, IW averages almost 1 more assist. Has fewer turnovers. And it’s not like Amir plays great defense. If I have to choose between Amir or IW at PG I’ll run with IW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's actually 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 TO. He'd had another assist if Oturu hadn't had to get his own rebound from a missed bunny.
It's a good example of people seeing what they want to see. Call it what you will. After IW eventually took a shot last night, the guy behind me said, "He never passes."

Top Bottom