Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Some Rutgers game thoughts

1. Large crowd. Got loud a few times but especially in that magical few possessions in the 2nd half with a monster Coffey dunk, a Murphy block, an Oturu block and an IW jelly.

2. Washington was really good today. Getting ejected was dumb but he played a really good game. The team is soooo much more fun to watch when he is in and playing well. Better tempo, better ball movement and more open looks. He breaks down guys so well late in the shot clock. Gets us a lot of good looks.

3. McBrayer has been very strong the past few games. Happy to see him back to form.

4. Hurt played more today. Did very little.

5. Murphy had a nice second half. Good bounce back from a weak 2 1/2 games.

6. Gabe might be out of his shooting funk. Would be huge to have him back to normal. He was sooooo good early in the year and then soooo bad. I expect him to be between those two extremes and he was today.

7. Coffey is our best player. Offense, defense, intangibles. He finishes so well in transition and is making a lot of big buckets. Very excited with how he is playing lately.

I think it is time to let IW start. Kalsheur would be a great 6th man, instant offense guy. McBrayer is really playing well so he should be in the starting lineup. IW needs to be in the game 25 minutes from here on unless he reverts to bad habits.

It all starts and ends with Coffey's A) assertiveness/aggressive and B) effectiveness. Underlined, capitalized and bolded.
    "If these rafters could talk, imagine the stories they would tell... of the teams, and the players... the moments and the memories that have made Williams Arena one of the cathedrals of college basketball..."

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    I think it is time to let IW start. Kalsheur would be a great 6th man, instant offense guy. McBrayer is really playing well so he should be in the starting lineup. IW needs to be in the game 25 minutes from here on unless he reverts to bad habits.
    Disagree. Let Gabe start. IW coming off the bench as an energy 6th man is a great place to have him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gall0249 View Post
    Disagree. Let Gabe start. IW coming off the bench as an energy 6th man is a great place to have him.

Fair enough view. My view is that the point guard sets the pace of the game. I'd like to see us come out of the blocks up tempo and moving the ball quickly.

Gabe's foot speed is getting exposed. He's a good defender and plays the opponents best player, but he has been getting fouls because it's hard for him to keep up with quicker players.

Dupree is doing exactly what he needs to do as option 3 on offense. The other teams are not guarding him and he's canning the open shots. That's a formula for success. It was clear that Rutgers game planned to allow him to shoot and bit them in the behind today.

Agreed that IW needs more floor time in most match-ups, but it's clear Pitino is playing a chess game and not all the pieces are needed the same way every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Man View Post
    Gabe's foot speed is getting exposed. He's a good defender and plays the opponents best player, but he has been getting fouls because it's hard for him to keep up with quicker players.

Dupree is doing exactly what he needs to do as option 3 on offense. The other teams are not guarding him and he's canning the open shots. That's a formula for success. It was clear that Rutgers game planned to allow him to shoot and bit them in the behind today.

Agreed that IW needs more floor time in most match-ups, but it's clear Pitino is playing a chess game and not all the pieces are needed the same way every game.
    Did you see IW play defense against Maryland?

Let him start if you like, but that doesn't mean he'd play extra minutes. He can't play unless he can be counted on. That means playing defense. That means not jacking up shots. It mean not trying that jelly nonsense too often, because it gets rejected as often as it goes in. It means not letting opposing players get inside your head. Right now, he can't be counted on to do any of these things and is a situational player.

What I think is we need to try to get him more minutes because his progression is the one thing that could really out us over the top some March, but not at the expense of losing games in January.

There is no denying how much offensive basketball talent IW has. I'd like to see him in the rotation and let him determine his minutes by his play. Sitting watching...the point has been made. We need IW to be part of the rotation to reach our highest potential. If he's outta control, not defending anybody he gets that explained to him on the bench and he re-enters understanding what's expected...doesn't do it again...comes out. Coach him up.

No denying also, he's gotta be exasperating to coach. Great kid, that wants so bad to do well, but can't get out of his own way too often.

Hurt is terrified to shoot

Sorry to disagree. Murphy is our best player...not even close. Coffey is #2.

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    1. Large crowd. Got loud a few times but especially in that magical few possessions in the 2nd half with a monster Coffey dunk, a Murphy block, an Oturu block and an IW jelly.

2. Washington was really good today. Getting ejected was dumb but he played a really good game. The team is soooo much more fun to watch when he is in and playing well. Better tempo, better ball movement and more open looks. He breaks down guys so well late in the shot clock. Gets us a lot of good looks.

3. McBrayer has been very strong the past few games. Happy to see him back to form.

4. Hurt played more today. Did very little.

5. Murphy had a nice second half. Good bounce back from a weak 2 1/2 games.

6. Gabe might be out of his shooting funk. Would be huge to have him back to normal. He was sooooo good early in the year and then soooo bad. I expect him to be between those two extremes and he was today.

7. Coffey is our best player. Offense, defense, intangibles. He finishes so well in transition and is making a lot of big buckets. Very excited with how he is playing lately.

Quote Originally Posted by CoMn View Post
    Sorry to disagree. Murphy is our best player...not even close. Coffey is #2.
    Youíre free to your opinion. Either way. Itís close.

And itís not even close as to whether or not itís close.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJamesMD View Post
    Hurt is terrified to shoot
    Yup. Did you see the panic when he got the ball 5 ft from the hoop? Should have been a jam.

I absolutely love iw getting the ball to the front court fast, be it pass or dribble. It puts pressure on the opponent and it frees Mn offense, and the ball actually moves much much better, creating better scoring opportunities.

I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnBurner View Post
    I absolutely love iw getting the ball to the front court fast, be it pass or dribble. It puts pressure on the opponent and it frees Mn offense, and the ball actually moves much much better, creating better scoring opportunities.

I love it.
    This