Illinois game

Mark in Indy

Reaction score
Hey all. I know there are some other Indiana and Illinois based fans on here. Anyone else going to be in Champaign for the game Wednesday night? If so would love to meet up. Bringing my same buddy that went up to Detroit for the bowl game. He’s all brainwashed now. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not gonna be at the game, but Illinois makes me nervous as a trap game for the Gophers. Gophers have not had great success in Champagne if I recall correctly.

I know some people will disagree with me, but they might not be pushovers. Based on the action I've seen, they're scrappy, and they have a couple guys that play well in stretches...they just seem to have no consistency, and particularly not for 40 minutes.

This is a game where the Gophers need to come out and dominate from the opening tip. That means Murphy and Oturu MUST stay out of foul trouble. Illinois is a bad team, we can't let them hang around into the 2nd half. This needs to be a 20+ point road win to build some momentum.

This is a game where the Gophers need to come out and dominate from the opening tip. That means Murphy and Oturu MUST stay out of foul trouble. Illinois is a bad team, we can't let them hang around into the 2nd half. This needs to be a 20+ point road win to build some momentum.

It would be nice, but they haven't lost to anyone by 20 points, including Michigan, Indiana, Gonzaga, and Ohio State.

Hilarious! Just win please.

No chance. Illinois is pretty low on talent, but high on energy and work ethic. That arena is a nightmare. They will rough up the Gophers like crazy. They better be ready for a mugging. If they are not, they could lose.

No chance. Illinois is pretty low on talent, but high on energy and work ethic. That arena is a nightmare. They will rough up the Gophers like crazy. They better be ready for a mugging. If they are not, they could lose.

Yup, I'd say we will lose if we are not mentally prepared. How tough are we? I'm really not sure but I think we'll find out at Illinois. Very, very hard game for us. How many physical guys do we really have?

So, anyone going to the Illinois game? I feel like we got a little off topic

If we are the team we thought we were coming into B1G play, this is a game we win.

Depends on who you are.

This is a game that determines if the team hasn’t potential to go over .500 in the big ten.
Need road wins, this is one of the three easiest road games left (Rutgers, northwestern).

If this team wants a 13-7 kind of season in big ten play, this is a must win game.

Would be nice if this year's version could get to the level of 2016-17. Everybody knew their roles on that team and they wore teams out by playing mistake-free and consistently well the whole game. That team was locked in 2nd half of conf. play and so fun to watch. Hopefully we're on the verge of something similar starting Wednesday.

Just some random thoughts going into Illinois game. Curry not nearly as lean as previously, wonder if that is affecting his game? Seems like Oturu has really improved since early in the season. Nice that he had only 2 fouls against Rutgers. It was brought up in another thread, but an interesting argument if IW is better for us coming off the bench as a spark. Omersa seems like a great teammate - always excited on the bench for his teammates' success. Hopefully good things happen for him in the future. Also, was good to see IW celebrate his teammates' success a lot more than previous games. Seems like Oturu and Murphy are often hit with travel calls that are very iffy. REALLY important to be 4-2 Thursday morning.

This will be a very tough game. Eels like a trap game. We will need to play my very well to win on the road.

Illinois is a team with a really bad record. Not sure they are a “really bad team”, although I guess it is fair to link the two things. The games I’ve watched, they have not looked “really bad” and have just lost hard-fought battles. Honestly, they have looked a bit like our Gophers on a bad day in that they couldn’t get shots to fall but otherwise we’re playing ok. I think we will win, but I don’t think it will be easy. If we put up one of our horrendous shooting displays, we will lose.

Wonder how Vegas feels about this game. I cant find the betting line, maybe they dont put it out till closer to game time.
Guessing we'll be favored by a small number.

Last edited:

Wonder how Vegas feels about this game. I cant find the betting line, maybe they dont put it out till closer to game time.

Usually up night before around 10pm. And over/unders out a few hours before game.

I have never seen Men’s b-ball on the road but Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue would all be great venues I bet (a little more character).

Hey all. I know there are some other Indiana and Illinois based fans on here. Anyone else going to be in Champaign for the game Wednesday night? If so would love to meet up. Bringing my same buddy that went up to Detroit for the bowl game. He’s all brainwashed now. [emoji6]

My wife and I will be there.

I'm predicting MN -3 or -4.

I’d guess Gophers -7 1/2. If I bet on my teams, I’d take the gophers to cover.

Gotta have this W and it will be tough. Lace em up boys and get ready. Do you hear me Amir, Dupree, IW, etc?

So Vegas says this game is a toss up. A far cry from us needing to win by 20. Wins build momentum no matter the margin.

So Vegas says this game is a toss up. A far cry from us needing to win by 20. Wins build momentum no matter the margin.

Yes, I would be extremely pleased by any victory tonight, be it by one point or twenty.

Come out with defensive intensity, rebound and take care of the ball and we should be okay.

Top Bottom