Jim Panagos Hired as DL Coach

mkAz

Reaction score
Former Temple DL coach.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Another coaching network by product. Rossi is picking a coach he has working history with.

Another coaching network by product. Rossi is picking a coach he has working history with.

Remember how prior to this year we didn't have a passing game or much at receiver.

Well, it won't be long until we are saying............remember how we went years without a pass rush.

Seems like a solid hire based on the connection and his recent performance. I agree with Goldteam, how I look forward to looking back upon sackless games and wondering how we were ever that bad at pressuring the QB. I'm in.

Adding insult to injury stealing him away from GTech

Adding insult to injury stealing him away from GTech

The word "poached" is being used in Techland but I really think it's just that Rossi is the brand new DC and he found and secured someone he's confident in. Tech's new Coach Collins has already named a replacement.

This is Rossi’s baby now with the additions of Panagos and Harysmiak...

Panagos married to Mike Tice sister...both Long Island guys, both Terrapins.

Tice brought in his guy O’Leary to run his defense and Panagos worked for George here and then later on at UCF...O’Leary had some good teams down there and elsewhere.

That Collins is a very good defensive coach and the former MSU guy at Pitt is a good defensive mind...some pretty good guys who have hired him.

Hope we see Tice at TCF!

Last edited:

It sounds like a good fit.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per STrib:

The Gophers have hired former Temple assistant Jim Panagos as their defensive line coach, head coach P.J. Fleck announced Saturday.

Panagos, 47, spent the past two seasons as Temple’s defensive line coach and the 2018 season as the Owls’ assistant head coach. After head coach Geoff Collins left Temple to take the Georgia Tech job, Panagos was hired as the Yellow Jackets’ defensive line coach on Jan. 3. But now, he’ll be reunited with Gophers defensive coordinator Joe Rossi. Panagos was defensive line coach at Rutgers when Rossi was the Scarlet Knights’ defensive coordinator in 2014 and ’15.

"So fired up to join the family! #RTB,'' Panagos tweeted.

Panagos replaces Marcus West, who left Minnesota to become assistant head coach, co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach at Charlotte.

An East Islip, N.Y., native, Panagos had assistant coaching stops at Maryland, Central Florida and Pittsburgh at the college level. He also spent 2002 through ’05 with the Vikings, first as a quality control coach, then as assistant defensive line coach and assistant special teams coach.

At Temple, Panagos was part of a coaching staff that helped the Owls rank in the top three nationally in 2018 in defensive touchdowns (eight for first place), turnovers forced (31, tied for third) and fumble recoveries (13, tied for fifth). Temple finished second in total defense and second in pass defense in the American Athletic Conference in 2018.

In 2017, Panagos was a semifinalist for the Broyles Award, given to the nation’s top assistant coach. He also was Football Scoop’s national defensive line coach of the year in 2009 while at Central Florida.

Panagos played defensive line at Maryland from 1989-92 and led the Terrapins with five sacks and 12 tackles for loss as a senior.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-hire-jim-panagos-as-defensive-line-coach/504267592/

Go Gophers!!

Looking ahead to 2020 recruiting, I think that this is a great time to add a D-line coach of the caliber of Coach Panagos. The Gopher are targetting a number of highly-regarded D-linemen. I'm hoping that the Gophers' improvement and the reputation of the coach will help to make 4-star DL's what Minnesota expects instead of a rarity.

Top Bottom