Who Opts Out Next Year?

Hopefully no one.

I would have an especially hard time seeing Coughlin or Barber opt out.
Winfield would also be eligible to do this I believe... If he has a terrific injury free year, I would say he is the most likely to sit out...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Winfield would also be eligible to do this I believe... If he has a terrific injury free year, I would say he is the most likely to sit out...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I could see Smith or Brooks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all these guys sitting out we might as well forfeit next year's bowl game now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Please God, someone kill this thread.

Hopefully next year's opponent has a bunch of really good players, or we're screwed.

Just to point out -the Gophers won their bowl game this season, so guys opting out of the game became a moot point. But - thinking out loud - if key players opt out of a future bowl game, and the Gophers lose the game, then we're having a very different discussion.

Well it's insurance. Their business model is to deny as many claims as they think they can legally get away with.

Which is why if I offered the same “protections” I’d be in jail for extortion.

Keep stirring it... you’re becoming a legend.

It’s true....we should have. We also should have won 8 game in the regular season this year.

But we did not.

But how many more games should we have won in 2014? 2004?

Well, we could go back in history and say we should have won x games every year. In most it would be we should have won more. In a few it would be....we had no business winning “x” number of games.

In 2016 we should have beaten Penn State and Iowa. We didn’t.

In 2015 we should have beaten Michigan. We didn’t.

In 2014 we should have beaten Illinois and Wisconsin. We didn’t.

I could easily go on, because, yeah, it’s true.

The only reason your balking at this is because you think this is only an attack on Fleck. It isn’t. Usually, you don’t look back at the end of the year and lament all of the losses in program history that should have been wins (well beyond some of Glen Masons epic losses - we seem to have a hard time letting those go).

We should have won at least 8 games regular season this year (Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois stand out Maryland stand out as games we should have oils have won), but didn’t . Even PJ Fleck thought so as he fires his best friend Robb Smith in no small part at mid season because we didn’t.

We should have won 6 in 2017. We didn’t.

This isn’t solely a PJ Fleck issue, so CTFD. Not every should, coulda, woulda is a direct attach on your close personal friend PJ Fleck. His done some things right. He’s had some epic failures. The good thing is that we now know epic failure = epic growth, right?

Well, we could go back in history and say we should have won x games every year. In most it would be we should have won more. In a few it would be....we had no business winning “x” number of games.

In 2016 we should have beaten Penn State and Iowa. We didn’t.

In 2015 we should have beaten Michigan. We didn’t.

In 2014 we should have beaten Illinois and Wisconsin. We didn’t.

I could easily go on, because, yeah, it’s true.

The only reason your balking at this is because you think this is only an attack on Fleck. It isn’t. Usually, you don’t look back at the end of the year and lament all of the losses in program history that should have been wins (well beyond some of Glen Masons epic losses - we seem to have a hard time letting those go).

We should have won at least 8 games regular season this year (Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois stand out Maryland stand out as games we should have oils have won), but didn’t . Even PJ Fleck thought so as he fires his best friend Robb Smith in no small part at mid season because we didn’t.

We should have won 6 in 2017. We didn’t.

This isn’t solely a PJ Fleck issue, so CTFD. Not every should, coulda, woulda is a direct attach on your close personal friend PJ Fleck. His done some things right. He’s had some epic failures. The good thing is that we now know epic failure = epic growth, right?

It’s a stupid argument to say we should have won x more games. Every season, every team will think they should have won more than they did. On the flip side, there are always games we win that we should have lost. But no one remembers those games. We had no business beating significantly better teams like Fresno St and Wisconsin this year. We overachieved in some games, and underachieved in others.

Right, what's the point? Like anyone as any insight on what any of these players will do.

G-D it gets annoying reading posts like these, and the one before it from the troll out in Arizona who thinks he owns GopherHole.

No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to click on the thread. No one is forcing you to read any of the posts. No one is forcing you to add a reply to the thread.

Shut. Up. Let folks use the board. That's why it's here. It's free, and it's for people to discuss what they want to discuss related to the team. Jebus

It’s a stupid argument to say we should have won x more games. Every season, every team will think they should have won more than they did. On the flip side, there are always games we win that we should have lost. But no one remembers those games. We had no business beating significantly better teams like Fresno St and Wisconsin this year. We overachieved in some games, and underachieved in others.

And of course, you can't point this out and let him have a a valid argument. Beyond stupid. Mindless. cali-like.

G-D it gets annoying reading posts like these, and the one before it from the troll out in Arizona who thinks he owns GopherHole.

No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to click on the thread. No one is forcing you to read any of the posts. No one is forcing you to add a reply to the thread.

Shut. Up. Let folks use the board. That's why it's here. It's free, and it's for people to discuss what they want to discuss related to the team. Jebus

Well not really

The legend of Fresno State grows larger with ever passing day. Good team. Played almost no one. Of the teams they played with a pulse - two of them - they lost to both of them. In fairness they did rebound and beat Boise the second time around.

And before firing Smith, of our four final games Wisconsin looked like the best chance for a win due to injuries, and their weird season, so don’t take that victory away from the Gophers.

After our linebackers magically stopped being too (fill in the blank - slow, soft, small, big, not recruited by PJ Fleck, etc) after Robb Smith was fired we absolutely should have won that game and did. This was not the best Wisconsin team and was our best chance to end the streak. I’m surprised you would try to take that away from Fleck, honestly.

PS, just answered the question you asked. If anything the team we had no business beating this year was Purdue. But we did. Thanks to brutal weather and a DC who didn’t phone it in.

Last edited:

Well considering no one answered the question asked in the original post, I stand by my comment that no one has any insight to answer it.

The legend of Fresno State grows larger with ever passing day. Good team. Played almost no one. Of the teams they played with a pulse - two of them - they lost to both of them. In fairness they did rebound and beat Boise the second time around.

And before firing Smith, of our four final games Wisconsin looked like the best chance for a win due to injuries, and their weird season, so don’t take that victory away from the Gophers.

After our linebackers magically stopped being too (fill in the blank - slow, soft, small, big, not recruited by PJ Fleck, etc) after Robb Smith was fired we absolutely should have won that game and did. This was not the best Wisconsin team and was our best chance to end the streak. I’m surprised you would try to take that away from Fleck, honestly.

PS, just answered the question you asked. If anything the team we had no business beating this year was Purdue. But we did. Thanks to brutal weather and a DC who didn’t phone it in.

The legend of Fresno grows? Fresno St was the 1st team we've beaten that finished in the top 25 since 1999. I get that it doesn't move the needle in most people's eyes like Iowa or Nebraska, but on paper it's the best win in 19 years.

We were absolutely obliterated by Maryland, Illinois and Nebraska. What does saying "we should have won" even mean? The games weren't close. All of those teams finished with a worse record so I would like to think we should have won, but that wasn't what happened on the field.

And we had every bit of business beating Purdue. We finished with a better record, played them at home, and destroyed them. I'm not sure why anyone would need to marginalize the win. We hadn't beaten Wisky for ages. No one picked us to win. We outperformed by beating them on the road for the 1st time in 24 years.

What a BS thread. Pull your heads out.

So this is a BS thread. Really? There are threads on what might happen in 2021. There are threads on who may sign in 2020. Perhaps you've missed the point? This is all about projection!

The legend of Fresno grows? Fresno St was the 1st team we've beaten that finished in the top 25 since 1999. I get that it doesn't move the needle in most people's eyes like Iowa or Nebraska, but on paper it's the best win in 19 years.

We were absolutely obliterated by Maryland, Illinois and Nebraska. What does saying "we should have won" even mean? The games weren't close. All of those teams finished with a worse record so I would like to think we should have won, but that wasn't what happened on the field.

And we had every bit of business beating Purdue. We finished with a better record, played them at home, and destroyed them. I'm not sure why anyone would need to marginalize the win. We hadn't beaten Wisky for ages. No one picked us to win. We outperformed by beating them on the road for the 1st time in 24 years.

We were underdogs to Maryland and Nebraska, just saying.

Top Bottom