Who Opts Out Next Year?

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
Under these 4 scenarios, (offer more if you want), which Gopher players would opt out of playing in a bowl game?

#1 Non New Year's Day bowl game

#2 New Year's Day Bowl game but not the Rose Bowl

#3 Rose Bowl

#4 College Playoffs

Possibles include Coughlin, Johnson, Both Smiths, Barber, Martin and ?

Under these 4 scenarios, (offer more if you want), which Gopher players would opt out of playing in a bowl game?

#1 Non New Year's Day bowl game

#2 New Year's Day Bowl game but not the Rose Bowl

#3 Rose Bowl

#4 College Playoffs

Possibles include Coughlin, Johnson, Both Smiths, Barber, Martin and ?

They all opt out of all of them

They gotta make the best call for them, it's their future not mine. It's their call and I respect that.

The school and or NCAA could decide to unilaterally offer draftable players a reasonable loss of value insurance policy should they get hurt in one of the games. That might mitigate this trend.

Last edited:

The school and or NCAA could decide to unilaterally offer draftable players a reasonable loss of value insurance policy should they get hurt in one of the games. That might mitigate this trend.

Love the idea! It's probably about the best you could do, as the school.

NCAA allows Univ of Minnesota to pay X (tens of?) thousands of dollars premium on an insurance package that would pay out to Tyler Johnson in the event that an injury in the bowl game for the 2019 season could be shown to have cost him draft positions, signing bonuses, perhaps even a (longer) career in the league. Make the payout something like a couple million dollars, in the form of an annuity that pays out to him (TJ) for the rest of his life.

Wonder what that premium would have to be, for say a $2million annunity pay out?

Anyway, I'm sold! Like that? Seeing how I have no skin in the game, ha!

I swear I read about some folks having problems collecting on that.

I sincerely hope we're debating this in November next year, with a bowl in the pocket and so many draft prospects on the team that we're wondering who's going to play in the game.

This in spite of the Gophers having the worst track record of any P5 program in putting out drafted NFL players. This is like those "what if we win the Big Ten will PJ Fleck go to Alabama?" threads.

I sincerely hope we're debating this in November next year, with a bowl in the pocket and so many draft prospects on the team that we're wondering who's going to play in the game.

This in spite of the Gophers having the worst track record of any P5 program in putting out drafted NFL players. This is like those "what if we win the Big Ten will PJ Fleck go to Alabama?" threads.

We only need to win 6 to go to a bowl game, and Tyler Johnson, at least, is a player likely to be considered close to being drafted.

I swear I read about some folks having problems collecting on that.

Cut out the middleman and offer the policies directly. Commercial businesses are incentivized to cheat clients. A consortium of schools self-insuring would have less incentive to do so in theory. Surely there is expertise available to analyze and create actuarial tables at the schools. Perhaps a thesis project even. It’s not like flying to the moon. Do it cheaply and efficiently with free labor.

last year at this time we were asking if we'd make a bowl game next year. Now we are wondering who will opt out and how big will the bowl be. If that isn't program progress, nothing is.

Cut out the middleman and offer the policies directly. Commercial businesses are incentivized to cheat clients. A consortium of schools self-insuring would have less incentive to do so in theory. Surely there is expertise available to analyze and create actuarial tables at the schools. Perhaps a thesis project even. It’s not like flying to the moon. Do it cheaply and efficiently with free labor.

NCAA or the schools paying out insurance policy ... paying .... a player.

Hopefully no one.

I would have an especially hard time seeing Coughlin or Barber opt out.

I really have a tough time seeing any of the Minnesota kids opt out of the Rose Bowl. Wasn't that the dream of almost any kid who played football in Minnesota.

Do you work in the insurance industry?

last year at this time we were asking if we'd make a bowl game next year. Now we are wondering who will opt out and how big will the bowl be. If that isn't program progress, nothing is.

Gophs should have made a bowl last year.

We are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a BS thread. Pull your heads out.

Things were looking pretty dismal right after the Illinois game. Unbelievable turn around to the toughest part of the schedule.

NCAA or the schools paying out insurance policy ... paying .... a player.

Half tongue in cheek to develop it with student/faculty expertise but yeah, the schools and NCAA already provide different insurance policies so it’s just another step.

What a BS thread. Pull your heads out.
Agree. Where does it end? Just read that Bryce Love tore his ACL in final regular season game. They weren't going to a major bowl regardless if they won nor lost that game (btw... they won that game and went to Sun Bowl). perhaps he should have sat out that last regular season game also?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom