Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1

    Default Who Opts Out Next Year?

    Under these 4 scenarios, (offer more if you want), which Gopher players would opt out of playing in a bowl game?

    #1 Non New Year's Day bowl game

    #2 New Year's Day Bowl game but not the Rose Bowl

    #3 Rose Bowl

    #4 College Playoffs

    Possibles include Coughlin, Johnson, Both Smiths, Barber, Martin and ?


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRedux View Post
    Under these 4 scenarios, (offer more if you want), which Gopher players would opt out of playing in a bowl game?

    #1 Non New Year's Day bowl game

    #2 New Year's Day Bowl game but not the Rose Bowl

    #3 Rose Bowl

    #4 College Playoffs

    Possibles include Coughlin, Johnson, Both Smiths, Barber, Martin and ?
    They all opt out of all of them

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Coon Rapids
    Posts
    2,827

    Default

    If any decide to opt out I have no problem with it. For millions I would do the same.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  4. #4

    Default

    They gotta make the best call for them, it's their future not mine. It's their call and I respect that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,299

    Default

    The school and or NCAA could decide to unilaterally offer draftable players a reasonable loss of value insurance policy should they get hurt in one of the games. That might mitigate this trend.




    .
    Last edited by Pompous Elitist; 01-11-2019 at 01:46 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    The school and or NCAA could decide to unilaterally offer draftable players a reasonable loss of value insurance policy should they get hurt in one of the games. That might mitigate this trend.
    Love the idea! It's probably about the best you could do, as the school.

    NCAA allows Univ of Minnesota to pay X (tens of?) thousands of dollars premium on an insurance package that would pay out to Tyler Johnson in the event that an injury in the bowl game for the 2019 season could be shown to have cost him draft positions, signing bonuses, perhaps even a (longer) career in the league. Make the payout something like a couple million dollars, in the form of an annuity that pays out to him (TJ) for the rest of his life.

    Wonder what that premium would have to be, for say a $2million annunity pay out?

    Anyway, I'm sold! Like that? Seeing how I have no skin in the game, ha!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    The school and or NCAA could decide to unilaterally offer draftable players a reasonable loss of value insurance policy should they get hurt in one of the games. That might mitigate this trend.




    .
    I swear I read about some folks having problems collecting on that.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    I swear I read about some folks having problems collecting on that.
    Well it's insurance. Their business model is to deny as many claims as they think they can legally get away with.

  9. #9

    Default

    I sincerely hope we're debating this in November next year, with a bowl in the pocket and so many draft prospects on the team that we're wondering who's going to play in the game.

    This in spite of the Gophers having the worst track record of any P5 program in putting out drafted NFL players. This is like those "what if we win the Big Ten will PJ Fleck go to Alabama?" threads.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    I sincerely hope we're debating this in November next year, with a bowl in the pocket and so many draft prospects on the team that we're wondering who's going to play in the game.

    This in spite of the Gophers having the worst track record of any P5 program in putting out drafted NFL players. This is like those "what if we win the Big Ten will PJ Fleck go to Alabama?" threads.
    We only need to win 6 to go to a bowl game, and Tyler Johnson, at least, is a player likely to be considered close to being drafted.

  11. #11

    Default

    I always opt out. F the TSA!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    I swear I read about some folks having problems collecting on that.
    Cut out the middleman and offer the policies directly. Commercial businesses are incentivized to cheat clients. A consortium of schools self-insuring would have less incentive to do so in theory. Surely there is expertise available to analyze and create actuarial tables at the schools. Perhaps a thesis project even. It’s not like flying to the moon. Do it cheaply and efficiently with free labor.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,192

    Default

    last year at this time we were asking if we'd make a bowl game next year. Now we are wondering who will opt out and how big will the bowl be. If that isn't program progress, nothing is.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Cut out the middleman and offer the policies directly. Commercial businesses are incentivized to cheat clients. A consortium of schools self-insuring would have less incentive to do so in theory. Surely there is expertise available to analyze and create actuarial tables at the schools. Perhaps a thesis project even. It’s not like flying to the moon. Do it cheaply and efficiently with free labor.
    NCAA or the schools paying out insurance policy ... paying .... a player.

  15. #15

    Default

    Hopefully no one.

    I would have an especially hard time seeing Coughlin or Barber opt out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •