Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SI: Todd Marinovich is learning to be human again

per SI:

His name is a parenting epithet. Overcoach your kid, get too excited about a touchdown or a home run or a goal, and you might hear it, even in jest: You're just like Marv Marinovich! Look at Marv Marinovich over here! The story is part of American lore, the ultimate in Sports Dad Goes Overboard. BRED TO BE A SUPERSTAR, read the Feb. 22, 1988, Sports Illustrated headline. And the subhead: Todd Marinovich was groomed from infancy to be a top-notch quarterback.

Infancy was not hyperbole. America's first test-tube athlete, they called Todd. The Robo QB. Marv stretched his son's hamstrings at one month old, and had him teething on frozen kidney and trying to lift medicine balls before he could walk. Marv used Eastern Bloc training methods and consulted as many as 13 experts, including biochemists and psychologists, to build his quarterback. Most famously, as SI wrote, Todd was the least 1980s child of the '80s: "He has never eaten a Big Mac or an Oreo or a Ding Dong."

Marv said he tried to create "the perfect environment" for "the healthiest possible child." Todd, then 18, gushed about how well it worked, telling SI, "There is no way somebody could be made to do all this stuff. I choose to do it." He did it, he said, because his goal was "actually to be the best quarterback who ever threw the ball." He told The New York Times, "I can remember asking my dad: 'What can I do to improve my performance? What would be the plan?'"

Todd became a USC starter and, in 1991, a Los Angeles Raiders first-round pick, rising just high enough for the country to notice his fall into drug addiction. Todd was arrested so often that once, when he returned to the James A. Musick minimum-security facility in Irvine, Calif., guards played the Welcome Back, Kotter theme song over the loudspeakers. Then they played the Raiders' march. Todd became a joke, and Marv a cautionary tale.

Well, now: Look at Marv Marinovich over here, sitting on a backyard patio in Mission Viejo, Calif. It is September 2018. He is 79. A woman hands him a Jamba Juice mixed-fruit smoothie and says, "You look good. Clean and fresh. Awesome!"

Then she asks, "What's my name? Do you know me?"

Eight seconds pass. Finally, Marv says, "Traci ... Catherine ... Marinovich."

He is correct. Traci is his oldest child. On her last visit, he thought she was his sister.

Marv, who spent most of his life avoiding fatty meats and refined sugars and processed anything, has Alzheimer's.

"You are on it today!" Traci says. "Woo! That's nice!"

She does not want to be here. It's not just because he is a shadow of a man now. She remembers the man he was. All he seemed to care about was Todd. He neglected his daughter on a good day and insulted her on a bad one.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/11/to...ck-drugs-rehab

Go Gophers!!

I’m feeling Good. I think I’ll mix myself a couple of manhattans at precisely 5pm.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Letís see....High school All American, Starting QB at USC, NFL first round pick. It wasnít until Todd got OFF the Marv plan that things went south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    Let’s see....High school All American, Starting QB at USC, NFL first round pick. It wasn’t until Todd got OFF the Marv plan that things went south.

Except Todd was never really on the Marv plan once he was a teenager. When Marv wasn't looking, all he did was eat crap and smoke pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakin' The Plane View Post
    Except Todd was never really on the Marv plan once he was a teenager. When Marv wasn't looking, all he did was eat crap and smoke pot.
    True dat. My bigger point is that while an argument can be made that Marv caused Todd to rebel. An equally valid argument can be made that Marv kept Todd from being a homeless crack head earlier in his life.

True dat. My bigger point is that while an argument can be made that Marv caused Todd to rebel. An equally valid argument can be made that Marv kept Todd from being a homeless crack head earlier in his life.

A lot of times major psychological issues and heavy drug usage stem from childhood trauma. It's far more likely that Marv pushed Todd to drugs than kept him off them.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    A lot of times major psychological issues and heavy drug usage stem from childhood trauma. It's far more likely that Marv pushed Todd to drugs than kept him off them.
    What? Thatís some soft ass suburbanite sh*** t right there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What? That’s some soft ass suburbanite sh*** t right there!

Shiiit.

Michael Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Michael Jackson.
    How do we know thatís the case?

Michael Jackson.
    How do we know that’s the case?

My man.....there's no hard proof. Connect the dots and come to your own best guess. But there's a reason why a lot of former child stars are messed the hell up.

How do we know that’s the case?

Between the constant beatings, being forced to sing/dance 365 days a year starting at 4 y/o, never getting a bday or xmas gift, never being allowed to attend a normal school, or have friends outside the family, etc. It screwed him up big time. How could it not?

Look, when you're as messed up as Michael Jackson was, and you're not even the craziest one of your siblings, your parents did something very wrong.

My man.....there's no hard proof. Connect the dots and come to your own best guess. But there's a reason why a lot of former child stars are messed the hell up.
    M best guess is drug use is prevalent across America. People from all walks of life are users and no demographic is immune. Michael Jackson could have been a child molesting janitor in Gary. Todd Marinavich could have been a homeless high school dropout meth head living in the beach. Or it could be like you said, we have no way of knowing. Sh** t happens.

Between the constant beatings, being forced to sing/dance 365 days a year starting at 4 y/o, never getting a bday or xmas gift, never being allowed to attend a normal school, or have friends outside the family, etc. It screwed him up big time. How could it not?

Look, when you're as messed up as Michael Jackson was, and you're not even the craziest one of your siblings, your parents did something very wrong.
    Constant beatings? Joe whupped that ass, some might call it discipline. Aside from Michael and maybe LaToya whatís wrong with the Jacksons? They arenít/werenít much different than most families in the hood (aside from getting rich and having a daddy in the home.)

Boohoo Michaelís Daddy was hard on him. You damn liberals are soo soft!

Constant beatings? Joe whupped that ass, some might call it discipline. Aside from Michael and maybe LaToya what’s wrong with the Jacksons? They aren’t/weren’t much different than most families in the hood (aside from getting rich and having a daddy in the home.)

Boohoo Michael’s Daddy was hard on him. You damn liberals are soo soft!

America, the only country in the world where a poor Black boy from Indiana, can grow up to be a rich White woman from California.