Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16

    Default

    He promoted Brad Salem to Offensive Coordinator.

    Brad of course, we remember well as being the son of former Minnesota Golden Gopher Head Coach Joe Salem.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    He promoted Brad Salem to Offensive Coordinator.

    Brad of course, we remember well as being the son of former Minnesota Golden Gopher Head Coach Joe Salem.
    EAST LANSING — Mark Dantonio called it “the most significant change” to his coaching staff in 12 years at Michigan State.

    Yet no one is leaving. The Spartans will instead have familiar faces in new roles, looking for a new outcome after another down offensive season.

    Dave Warner and Jim Bollman are out as co-offensive coordinators, returning to position coaching. Brad Salem is in to run the offense. And not one assistant coach on the offensive side of the ball will remain in the same position when MSU starts preparing for 2019.


    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...io/2542914002/

  3. #18

    Default

    Any billboard sightings in the Lansing area with Brad holding a rose in his mouth?
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

  4. #19

    Default

    Two interesting things to me about Dantonio/Michigan State:

    1) how mundane his record was at Cincinnati, before being hired by MSU. He was only 18-17 there in three seasons, 11-11 in conf games, and the first season was in CUSA. The last two were in the Big East (still in the BCS back then).

    2) MSU has had some great successes in the Big Ten under Dantonio. Most notably:
    - in 2010 they tied to win the divisionless Big Ten with Wisconsin at 11-1 (7-1) and had beaten Wisconsin head-to-head, but yet somehow Wisc won the tie-breakers and went to the Rose Bowl just losing to TCU. MSU went to the Capital One Bowl and got creamed by Alabama, finishing 11-2 overall
    - in 2011 they won the Legends division and beat Wisconsin in the regular season again to go 10-2 (7-1). They went to the first ever Big Ten championship game versus, who else, Wisconsin. And lost by 3 points. Wisconsin gets the Rose Bowl again, loses it again. MSU goes to the Outback bowl vs. Georgia, but this time wins in 3OT.

    Those two years must have sown a lot of hatred in MSU fans' hearts for Wisco.

    - in 2013 - 2015, they won two Big Ten championship games, won a Rose Bowl, won a Cotton Bowl, and got creamed in a CFP semi-final against Alabama. They went 36-5 overall in those three years, going 3-0 over Michigan, 2-1 over Ohio St (once in a championship game), and 2-0 over Penn St.

    But for some reason, the last three seasons have been no where near as good. 2016 the wheels fell off. Good bounce back in 2017, but this season was only 7-6. Also went 7-6 in 2012, between the two high periods.


    Wonder why so much inconsistency?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Two interesting things to me about Dantonio/Michigan State:

    1) how mundane his record was at Cincinnati, before being hired by MSU. He was only 18-17 there in three seasons, 11-11 in conf games, and the first season was in CUSA. The last two were in the Big East (still in the BCS back then).

    2) MSU has had some great successes in the Big Ten under Dantonio. Most notably:
    - in 2010 they tied to win the divisionless Big Ten with Wisconsin at 11-1 (7-1) and had beaten Wisconsin head-to-head, but yet somehow Wisc won the tie-breakers and went to the Rose Bowl just losing to TCU. MSU went to the Capital One Bowl and got creamed by Alabama, finishing 11-2 overall
    - in 2011 they won the Legends division and beat Wisconsin in the regular season again to go 10-2 (7-1). They went to the first ever Big Ten championship game versus, who else, Wisconsin. And lost by 3 points. Wisconsin gets the Rose Bowl again, loses it again. MSU goes to the Outback bowl vs. Georgia, but this time wins in 3OT.

    Those two years must have sown a lot of hatred in MSU fans' hearts for Wisco.

    - in 2013 - 2015, they won two Big Ten championship games, won a Rose Bowl, won a Cotton Bowl, and got creamed in a CFP semi-final against Alabama. They went 36-5 overall in those three years, going 3-0 over Michigan, 2-1 over Ohio St (once in a championship game), and 2-0 over Penn St.

    But for some reason, the last three seasons have been no where near as good. 2016 the wheels fell off. Good bounce back in 2017, but this season was only 7-6. Also went 7-6 in 2012, between the two high periods.


    Wonder why so much inconsistency?
    If 7-6 is the bottom and 11-2 is the top, with a run of 36-5 in 3 years, with a CFP appearance, a rose bowl and a cotton bowl...PLEASE SIGN UP THE GOPHERS FOR INCONSISTENCY!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    If 7-6 is the bottom and 11-2 is the top, with a run of 36-5 in 3 years, with a CFP appearance, a rose bowl and a cotton bowl...PLEASE SIGN UP THE GOPHERS FOR INCONSISTENCY!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    The bottom was in 2016 with a record of 3-9 (1-8), last place in the East. They did bounce back in 2017, as I said, but then went back down to 7-6 this season. Yes, that is called inconsistency. And I simply wondered why/how that could happen, when you consider how good they were 2013-2015. Also, they were very good in 2010-2011 (22-5 overall, 1-1 in two Florida bowl games, top 15 final ranking both years), but then dropped down to 7-6 in 2012. Again, pointing to some odd inconsistency.

    This has nothing to do with the Gophers.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 01-11-2019 at 10:08 AM.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post

    2) MSU has had some great successes in the Big Ten under Dantonio. Most notably:
    - in 2010 they tied to win the divisionless Big Ten with Wisconsin at 11-1 (7-1) and had beaten Wisconsin head-to-head, but yet somehow Wisc won the tie-breakers and went to the Rose Bowl just losing to TCU. MSU went to the Capital One Bowl and got creamed by Alabama, finishing 11-2 overall
    In 2010 Ohio State was also tied with Wisconsin & Michigan State at 7-1. Buckeyes beat Spartans, Spartans beat Badgers, and Badgers beat Buckeyes. Ohio State got the Sugar, Wisconsin Rose and Michigan St Citrus/Cap 1, I believe there was a limit for conferences only getting 2 BCS Bowl Bids.

    Tattoo scandal turned Buckeye wins to Vacated.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    6,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The bottom was in 2016 with a record of 3-9 (1-8), last place in the East. They did bounce back in 2017, as I said, but then went back down to 7-6 this season. Yes, that is called inconsistency. And I simply wondered why/how that could happen, when you consider how good they were 2013-2015. Also, they were very good in 2010-2011 (22-5 overall, 1-1 in two Florida bowl games, top 15 final ranking both years), but then dropped down to 7-6 in 2012. Again, pointing to some odd inconsistency.

    This has nothing to do with the Gophers.
    there are only so many "helmet" schools that crank out 10+ win seasons every year. Michigan State has been a very solid program, with a few peaks and only a couple of down years. The majority of D1 programs would love to have as much success as MSU.

    but - when you're not one of the top 15 or so programs in the country, you are susceptible to the same issues as everyone else - injuries, suspensions, a down recruiting class, or kids just having off seasons. a fumble or interception at the wrong time, a couple of untimely penalties, a missed tackle, and a 10 win season turns into a 7 or 8-win season in a hurry.

    the cyclical nature of MSU's ups and downs to me suggests recruiting. miss on a couple of key recruits, and it shows up in the standings a couple of years later. have a better-than-average class, and a couple of years later, you're playing for a conference title.

    MSU is what the Gophers would like to be.

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    there are only so many "helmet" schools that crank out 10+ win seasons every year. Michigan State has been a very solid program, with a few peaks and only a couple of down years. The majority of D1 programs would love to have as much success as MSU.

    but - when you're not one of the top 15 or so programs in the country, you are susceptible to the same issues as everyone else - injuries, suspensions, a down recruiting class, or kids just having off seasons. a fumble or interception at the wrong time, a couple of untimely penalties, a missed tackle, and a 10 win season turns into a 7 or 8-win season in a hurry.

    the cyclical nature of MSU's ups and downs to me suggests recruiting. miss on a couple of key recruits, and it shows up in the standings a couple of years later. have a better-than-average class, and a couple of years later, you're playing for a conference title.

    MSU is what the Gophers would like to be.
    I'm sure something like this is correct, and makes perfect sense.

    Still ... to have had the run they did in 2013-2015 ... and then have a year like 2016?? That still doesn't make sense to me.

  10. #25

    Default

    Michigan sucking so bad helped Michigan state imo

    Now that Michigan is solid again, it is harder for MSU to be great. They have sank back down to being a little above average.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Michigan sucking so bad helped Michigan state imo

    Now that Michigan is solid again, it is harder for MSU to be great. They have sank back down to being a little above average.
    Michigan is 38-14 in Harbaugh's four seasons (2015-2018). However, he is only 2-2 against MSU, winning in 2016 and 2018 (down years), and losing in 2015 and 2017 (10+ win years).

    Hoke was 31-20 from 2011-2014, though in 2011 they went 11-2, but lost to Michigan St who won the division that year (Michigan tied for 2nd). They went downhill each year after that, but did beat them in 2012 (the down year I mentioned before for Michigan St).

    I like the idea, but Michigan the last eight seasons still doesn't seem to explain why Michigan St had down years in 2012, 2016, and 2018. Maybe Penn St lines up better.

    Now Rich Rod, he was awful at Michigan. And Lloyd Carr also wasn't consistently great every year, but did win a lot of games, most years.


    Regardless, it is always going to be tough for Michigan St to compete year in and year out with Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St. That much will always be true, even if Michigan St is about like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska, as a program, which is still really high.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 01-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.

  12. #27

    Default

    MSU the last several years is what I envision as a goal for what Minnesota can be.

    I don't know if a perennial top 10 is attainable, but to have periods like MSU wold seem like a high, yet achievable goal is things go right and stay sustainable.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    MSU the last several years is what I envision as a goal for what Minnesota can be.

    I don't know if a perennial top 10 is attainable, but to have periods like MSU wold seem like a high, yet achievable goal is things go right and stay sustainable.
    Hate it if you want, but I will always say that whatever Wisconsin was/is able to achieve, should also be true for Minnesota.

  14. #29

    Default

    They could have run that power sweep vs the Gophers 60 times in 2017 and I donít think they would have had to punt all game.

    Iím hoping our D Line can look like their DLines soon ( I think it will ).

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    MSU the last several years is what I envision as a goal for what Minnesota can be.

    I don't know if a perennial top 10 is attainable, but to have periods like MSU wold seem like a high, yet achievable goal is things go right and stay sustainable.
    I'd do cartwheels if PJ took a team to the CFP even if they got spanked the way MSU did.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •