Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    The devil is always in the details with vaguely written rules, laws, regulations...the NCAA could be very specific about when waivers will be granted but they went a different route. Obviously that leaves the door open for different judges, panels, committees to issue seemingly contradictory rulings (not to mention the influence of backroom bribery/ lobbying efforts). Where does one set the line?

I think the reason the Fields thing has irked me is heís throwing the UGA campus under the bus when UGA has apparently taken every reasonable step to do the right thing. Perhaps he really is traumatized by taunting or other harassment we are not aware of. I canít get inside his mind. If so I hope he finds peace elsewhere but Iím skeptical heís going to have great success on a big stage with as much pressure and criticism heíll face and he certainly wonít escape people with prejudicial and perhaps even outright racist attitudes. Theyíre out there. Letís all be real (and I know you already agree): he wants to play NOW for a championship contender instead of taking a year off or waiting his turn at UGA.
    Unfortunately, like you stated, sometimes the devil is in the lack of details. This is precisely the issue with these NCAA waivers.

They are intentionally vague and guys like Fields and Patterson don't have to sit out because of money, and guys who transfer to lesser schools do.

As far as drawing the line, the NCAA needs to make it like a mathematical formula (like they used to do with the medical hardship waivers), and then stick to their rules.

Martell has lawyered up now and he is going to use the Meyer situation as justification for his potential waiver. We'll see if he gets it. But that one is BS too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski U Mah Gopher View Post
    Marcus Carr should be the point guard for the Gophers right now. While the NCAA was granting waivers left & right, his was denied.
    Iím a bandwagon basketball fan...sorry for the ignorance.

Fields is eligible. NCAA is spelled C O R R U P T

Quote Originally Posted by CurveballJesus View Post
    Fields is eligible. NCAA is spelled C O R R U P T
    How is this related to Jalen Hurts?

The last page and a half here is a Fields eligibility discussion. I was worried if I started a thread about another team my obvious anti-PJ agenda would be revealed and I would be called a troll

Quote Originally Posted by STPGopher View Post
    Fair enough. Personally, I wrestle with sitting out a year. I do understand that it is a deterrent, but I also think that we may be holding players to a higher standard than coaches, AD's, etc. I also wonder is it fair to a role player that stays the course, and doesn't get the opportunity to get an additional year of school/ grad. school.
    Agree from a football standpoint. It really is protecting a STUDENT-athleteís best interest not to encourage transferring freely without any disincentive, because they could then transfer multiple times, and I suspect statistics would show that it reduces their chances of graduating.