Jalen Hurts a Free Agent

Asking for special treatment via dishonesty is never a trait of a good leader and I will ALWAYS be consistent in pointing it out. I’m sorry you’re triggered over this simple argument. You think what he’s doing is admirable? Or am I misunderstanding.

I do think his claim for being granted immediate release is pretty much crap, but if there is one example of it thats all that really matters. He can easily make a case for it being like that all the time. Top recruit in the country playing at his home state school. Fans/students could have put him in a bad spot for not winning the starting job. Its no different then us fans wanting Carr to get his release for a "toxic environment." If Fields were on his way to Minnesota there would be a mob with pitchforks waiting at the NCAA headquarters if they denied it.

Who cares if he gets it or not. Its not like Ohio State wasn't going to be putting a highly regarded QB out there regardless. Tate Martell, yeah he's a pretty good QB. He's about as vocal as they come as well, so the entire Fields situation could play itself out anyways.

Asking for special treatment via dishonesty is never a trait of a good leader and I will ALWAYS be consistent in pointing it out. I’m sorry you’re triggered over this simple argument. You think what he’s doing is admirable? Or am I misunderstanding.

I'm not triggered at all. I think his claim is BS but I'm also rationale enough to understand why he is doing it. He doesn't want to sit out a year because of some arbitrary NCAA nonsense. Granted, those are the rules of the game but so is filing for a waiver.

As far as the main point, I get it, Justin Fields has you on tilt. I assume you loathe Joey King, Marcus Carr (who I assume brought up some BS argument about why he needed to come here), Shea Patterson, and countless other athletes who transfer and file a waiver for immediate eligibility. This particular ones seems to have set you off.

You have picked this particular athlete and it has you kind of worked up. I don't remember you on the bball board being super upset about Marcus Carr filing for a waiver. Maybe you were, in which case you are consistent. If you weren't, well, then, you're not "ALWAYS" consistent.

As far as it being admirable. . .I guess I don't really care. It's pretty status quo for a lot of transfers and I don't get real emotional about them trying to get immediate eligibility. I didn't admire Marcus Carr for filing a waiver, but I totally understood why he would. So, no, I don't have admiration for Fields' decision. It's a good thing that there are emotions between crying about it and admiration. I'm pretty apathetic about his decision. I have way more concern over the NCAA granting the waiver. That is where my issue would come up.

But no, I don't have admiration for his decision.

Yes, and I’ve stated it before. Plenty of players are stuck under the current rules. Making up charges of racism isn’t ok.

Well he has the right to ask. The school didn't kick out the baseball player for nothing. That certainly didn't hurt his case. If he gets it, good for him. It won't be the first time someone got "special" treatment.

Speaking of dishonesty, do you think that those that "oversee"(intentional word choice) the athletes at the NCAA are totally honest and fair in all of their dealings?

I'm not triggered at all. I think his claim is BS but I'm also rationale enough to understand why he is doing it. He doesn't want to sit out a year because of some arbitrary NCAA nonsense. Granted, those are the rules of the game but so is filing for a waiver.

As far as the main point, I get it, Justin Fields has you on tilt. I assume you loathe Joey King, Marcus Carr (who I assume brought up some BS argument about why he needed to come here), Shea Patterson, and countless other athletes who transfer and file a waiver for immediate eligibility. This particular ones seems to have set you off.

You have picked this particular athlete and it has you kind of worked up. I don't remember you on the bball board being super upset about Marcus Carr filing for a waiver. Maybe you were, in which case you are consistent. If you weren't, well, then, you're not "ALWAYS" consistent.

As far as it being admirable. . .I guess I don't really care. It's pretty status quo for a lot of transfers and I don't get real emotional about them trying to get immediate eligibility. I didn't admire Marcus Carr for filing a waiver, but I totally understood why he would. So, no, I don't have admiration for Fields' decision. It's a good thing that there are emotions between crying about it and admiration. I'm pretty apathetic about his decision. I have way more concern over the NCAA granting the waiver. That is where my issue would come up.

But no, I don't have admiration for his decision.

You’ll have to fill me in on Marcus Carr. I literally have no idea who he is or why I should care one way or the other. What was his claim and why was it denied?

I agree about Shea Patterson. I don’t understand why he was granted a waiver.

I didn’t zero in or pick on Fields. I’d pick on others if I knew about them. Patterson at least can claim he was misled about the status of an investigation. I don’t know the details or whether that’s a legitimate claim.

The issue of free agency in college football is interesting. It’s clear you are for it, which is a defensible position but not one I agree with. Some seem to think it would have pros and cons but IMO overall it would very likely lead to an even greater concentration of power at the top as well as really throw a wrench in recruiting cycles. It could also lead to a lot of bad, emotional, shortsighted decisions. Obviously any student can transfer for academic reasons at any time. Why isn’t there more of a push for immediate eligibility/free agency. Change the rule rather than make a mockery of it.

As far as Fields goes he hasn’t shown (IMO) a high level of leadership or capacity to deal with challenge by giving up/leaving Georgia after a year on campus, then apparently (we don’t have the full details obviously) claiming he is traumatized by the racial climate at UGA, including an incident UGA correctly punished a student for and effectively removed the problem from campus. Perhaps there are other things the public is not aware of. His sister is apparently still enrolling. He didn’t leave the team until the end of the season so he apparently was hoping for a chance to play despite the challenging racial climate. Furthermore no other players, to my knowledge, have claimed a climate of racial discrimation and prejudice or are planning to leave the team in solidarity. I don’t know him, but I don’t really have any reason to have respect for him or what he’s doing.

Last edited:

You’ll have to fill me in on Marcus Carr. I literally have no idea who he is or why I should care one way or the other. What was his claim and why was it denied?

I didn’t zero in or pick on Fields. I’d pick on others if I knew about them. Patterson at least can claim he was misled about the status of an investigation. I don’t know the details or whether that’s a legitimate claim.

The issue of free agency in college football is interesting. It’s clear you are for it, which is a defensible position but not one I agree with. Some seem to think it would have pros and cons but IMO overall it would very likely lead to an even greater concentration of power at the top as well as really throw a wrench in recruiting cycles. It could also lead to a lot of bad, emotional, shortsighted decisions. Obviously any student can transfer for academic reasons at any time. Why isn’t there more of a push for immediate eligibility/free agency. Change the rule rather than make a mockery of it.

As far as Fields goes he hasn’t shown (IMO) a high level of leadership or capacity to deal with challenge by giving up/leaving Georgia after a year on campus, then apparently (we don’t have the full details obviously) claiming he is traumatized by the racial climate at UGA, including an incident UGA correctly punished a student for and effectively removed the problem from campus. Perhaps there are other things the public is not aware of. His sister is apparently still enrolling. He didn’t leave the team until the end of the season so he apparently was hoping for a chance to play despite the challenging racial climate. Furthermore no other players, to my knowledge, have claimed a climate of racial discrimation and prejudice or are planning to leave the team in solidarity. I don’t know him, but I don’t really have any reason to have respect for him or what he’s doing.

How could it possibly be clear that I'm for college football free agency? I've said numerous times in this thread that I have an issue with the NCAA granting Shea Patterson's waiver and I will have an issue with the NCAA granting Fields' waiver.

My biggest issue with the entire thing is how the NCAA arbitrarily chooses when they grant a waiver and it certainly seems to be correlated with how much money that particular school makes.

As to the bigger question of college free agency, I'm not sure where I stand. It seems to have a result of spreading the wealth more than it does of concentrating it. I can think of a lot more examples of people leaving larger programs and finding than I can of people transferring to the larger programs. But I really wasn't even commenting on that.

My entire point is that it's incredibly common for a player to attempt to get a waiver. They often claim things about being close to home because of ill family members, now racism, being lied to about investigations, etc., in general, they usually seem to just want to switch schools because of competitive reasons. I don't blame the players for filing for waivers, of course they're going to.

I blame the NCAA for granting BS waivers.

The devil is always in the details with vaguely written rules, laws, regulations...the NCAA could be very specific about when waivers will be granted but they went a different route. Obviously that leaves the door open for different judges, panels, committees to issue seemingly contradictory rulings (not to mention the influence of backroom bribery/ lobbying efforts). Where does one set the line?

I think the reason the Fields thing has irked me is he’s throwing the UGA campus under the bus when UGA has apparently taken every reasonable step to do the right thing. Perhaps he really is traumatized by taunting or other harassment we are not aware of. I can’t get inside his mind. If so I hope he finds peace elsewhere but I’m skeptical he’s going to have great success on a big stage with as much pressure and criticism he’ll face and he certainly won’t escape people with prejudicial and perhaps even outright racist attitudes. They’re out there. Let’s all be real (and I know you already agree): he wants to play NOW for a championship contender instead of taking a year off or waiting his turn at UGA.

The devil is always in the details with vaguely written rules, laws, regulations...the NCAA could be very specific about when waivers will be granted but they went a different route. Obviously that leaves the door open for different judges, panels, committees to issue seemingly contradictory rulings (not to mention the influence of backroom bribery/ lobbying efforts). Where does one set the line?

I think the reason the Fields thing has irked me is he’s throwing the UGA campus under the bus when UGA has apparently taken every reasonable step to do the right thing. Perhaps he really is traumatized by taunting or other harassment we are not aware of. I can’t get inside his mind. If so I hope he finds peace elsewhere but I’m skeptical he’s going to have great success on a big stage with as much pressure and criticism he’ll face and he certainly won’t escape people with prejudicial and perhaps even outright racist attitudes. They’re out there. Let’s all be real (and I know you already agree): he wants to play NOW for a championship contender instead of taking a year off or waiting his turn at UGA.

Is he following the process? If so, is there really a problem? If he has the right to request a waiver and does so, that's really not on him. He is acting in his own best interest. He only gets one shot at this. The rest is the NCAA's problem. By the looks of it, they have many more problems to deal with that are much more significant and greater in scope.

Is he following the process? If so, is there really a problem? If he has the right to request a waiver and does so, that's really not on him. He is acting in his own best interest. He only gets one shot at this. The rest is the NCAA's problem. By the looks of it, they have many more problems to deal with that are much more significant and greater in scope.

Fields had his pick of schools out of HS, after his freshman season, and will again if he transfers out of OSU down the road. I’m hopeful the NCAA starts to squash the waiver trend. If there were a legitimate reason to play immediately I’d be more supportive. It will be interesting to see how he does on the field if UGA let him go in favor of Fromm.

Fields had his pick of schools out of HS, after his freshman season, and will again if he transfers out of OSU down the road. I’m hopeful the NCAA starts to squash the waiver trend. If there were a legitimate reason to play immediately I’d be more supportive. It will be interesting to see how he does on the field if UGA let him go in favor of Fromm.

Fair enough. Personally, I wrestle with sitting out a year. I do understand that it is a deterrent, but I also think that we may be holding players to a higher standard than coaches, AD's, etc. I also wonder is it fair to a role player that stays the course, and doesn't get the opportunity to get an additional year of school/ grad. school.

Marcus Carr should be the point guard for the Gophers right now. While the NCAA was granting waivers left & right, his was denied.

Unfortunately, like you stated, sometimes the devil is in the lack of details. This is precisely the issue with these NCAA waivers.

They are intentionally vague and guys like Fields and Patterson don't have to sit out because of money, and guys who transfer to lesser schools do.

As far as drawing the line, the NCAA needs to make it like a mathematical formula (like they used to do with the medical hardship waivers), and then stick to their rules.

Martell has lawyered up now and he is going to use the Meyer situation as justification for his potential waiver. We'll see if he gets it. But that one is BS too.

The last page and a half here is a Fields eligibility discussion. I was worried if I started a thread about another team my obvious anti-PJ agenda would be revealed and I would be called a troll

Fair enough. Personally, I wrestle with sitting out a year. I do understand that it is a deterrent, but I also think that we may be holding players to a higher standard than coaches, AD's, etc. I also wonder is it fair to a role player that stays the course, and doesn't get the opportunity to get an additional year of school/ grad. school.

Agree from a football standpoint. It really is protecting a STUDENT-athlete’s best interest not to encourage transferring freely without any disincentive, because they could then transfer multiple times, and I suspect statistics would show that it reduces their chances of graduating.

Top Bottom